HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:53 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Good info, do any of you have any good after market (non plastic) frames that all the running gear can be easily transfered across to. Links would be really good.
Many thanks
Andy
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:03 PM
Bournemouth - UK
Joined Feb 2009
204 Posts
Here you go http://www.sportsmoto.co.uk/acatalog..._NEW_2008.html

Paul
hedgeheli is offline Find More Posts by hedgeheli
Old Jan 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Thanks hedgeheli,
They look really nice is 12mm tail boom the standard size? Or would I need to order different booms?

Andy
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:05 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeheli View Post

.... measure the center of gravity of each

... add weight

...Now balance

Paul

You guys are awesome!

Unfortunately I did not get a capture of the 'before' where it would lift both skids alternately and scuttle/shake in who-knows-what direction, only at one point in the accel/decel process, but Paul, your post was what the doctor ordered -- it is as smooth as butter now after CG and balance check/adjust on stock blades!

I went ahead and captured an 'after' video anyway just for the heck of it. Pretty boring to anyone except me, who now sees it without the shake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6Bg...er_profilepage
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Nice to see you got it figured out. Balancing the blades is pretty important. Some people balance the whole rotor head too.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:29 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
You have my curiousity. I have noticed my blades are much looser than last fall. I assume this is because the humidity in RI right now is 20%. Should I tighten them even if I have to loosen them in the spring? I have just finished setting up my dream workshop in my basement and I have 2 benches, one is 40" by 10' and the other is 8' by 8'. I think I will practice spooling and gently lifting by Blade 400.
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:11 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I tightened the blades slightly, they now are snug but can easily slip. I carefully spooled it up on the bench and I added little bits of trim to get it to be stable. I realize I am in the ground effect so I cant get it perfect. I have the training gear on and It seems to prevent me from controlling the movement on the bench although the bench is very smooth. What the gear seems to prevent is the heli from moving if I change the rotors angle. The gears prevents the heli from leaning in the direction I am trying to move it to. Also I am afraid if I apply to much stick to get it to move the heli will abruptly tip over as it overcomes the restriction of the gear. Should I try this without the gear? I wish I had access to a basketball court.
VP
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Tracknoob, yours looks really smooth! My blades seem to be spooling nice, but there is a small amount of wobble in the frame on start up, it could be because of the training gear acting as a spring. I havent lifted it off the deck yet. Looking from the back the heli has a tendancy to drift to the left, I tried trimming to the right but as I see the rotors tilting to the right I am afraid it may tip over from the traininmg gear. Is the drift to the left from ground effect? It seems like the rotor is perfectly level but it drifts to the left. I dont dare try to lift it any higher to see if it would stabilize. Sorry for the flood of posts but I have been inspired this morning.
Thanks
VP
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Yes, the tail rotor pushes to the left - you have to compensate for that by leaning the helicopter to the right and keeping it leaned to the right a little bit. Notice that I did not say "hold a constant right stick" as it's not the same thing. You can not trim to remove this - it's a lateral force, not a rolling around the axis force, so you can't compensate for it with cyclic. When you enter cyclic trim, it's the same thing as holding the stick off center, so it won't counteract this problem. You need a lateral force to counteract it, and you can't get that until you are in the air. When you get into the air and you lean the helicopter to the right, the main rotor will create a force that is upward and to the right - however, gravity completely cancels the upward part, and you are left with the rightward part, cancelling the tail rotor problem.

This is a major reason why I recommend both the use of a quality simulator which simulates this effect, and I recommend having an experienced pilot to do your initial setup, because they will be able to get the helicopter off the ground and set the trim properly - it can't be trimmed on the ground.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:42 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Tracknoob, yours looks really smooth! My blades seem to be spooling nice, but there is a small amount of wobble in the frame on start up, it could be because of the training gear acting as a spring. I havent lifted it off the deck yet. Looking from the back the heli has a tendancy to drift to the left, I tried trimming to the right but as I see the rotors tilting to the right I am afraid it may tip over from the traininmg gear. Is the drift to the left from ground effect? It seems like the rotor is perfectly level but it drifts to the left. I dont dare try to lift it any higher to see if it would stabilize. Sorry for the flood of posts but I have been inspired this morning.
Thanks
VP
Didn't have the gear on mine yet, so I can't speak to it's influence, and unfortunately, I haven't gotten the B400 light enough on the skids to speak to your torque reaction or other responses of the heli.

I can only speak to the CP Pro2 which (lighter, less mass, smaller rotor dia) has so far had much less apparent tilting or drifting left or torque response than I had been told to expect. I think the gyro handles the rotational aspect pretty well, and the rest I can only speak to with confidence once I get to hovering it ... hopefully pretty soon... trying to not get ahead of myself...
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:48 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Well yes, the CP Pro2 flies with less power - the rotor is lighter, so the reaction force from the motor is smaller. This in turn requires less force from the tail rotor, which results in less translating tendency and less right lean required. All proportional of course, to the size of the thing - the Trex 250 for example flies with a ton of power, and it needs a lot of lean.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:06 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I find these machines fascinating, it is all a question of balance. One thing I find perplexing is the angled offset in the rotors pitch. I noticed this a while ago and was afraid something was wrong, If you push the stick forward you would expect to see the rotors tilt forward, they are a bit crooked though. I guess there are a lot of compromises in heli design and function. I will not push this experiment too far. I am determined to not crash in my basement!
VP
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:41 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,591 Posts
Quote:
I find these machines fascinating, it is all a question of balance. One thing I find perplexing is the angled offset in the rotors pitch. I noticed this a while ago and was afraid something was wrong, If you push the stick forward you would expect to see the rotors tilt forward, they are a bit crooked though. I guess there are a lot of compromises in heli design and function. I will not push this experiment too far. I am determined to not crash in my basement!
VP
I would seriously find a new area for your test flying. Seriously or wait for Spring.. Good luck and Best Regards.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segroegt View Post
I would seriously find a new area for your test flying. Seriously or wait for Spring.. Good luck and Best Regards.
I am serious.
VP
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:55 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,599 Posts
Quote:
I am serious.
VP
He's just concerned for your safety. If that thing throws a blade, if you or anyone else is in the the line of fire your in for a world of hurt.

There was a video in the first B400 thread where this guys friend was holding his 400 buy by the skids with the tail rotor pretty much over his face and head in Idle up!!!
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT