HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:24 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Align woodies will do the job nicely and not cost a bundle but, you need to make up spacers as they are thinner than the E-Flites. I put my spacer on the top of the blade and it is made out of an old credit card. The same can be said for carbon blades and there are a lot of them out there. I read about some testing done on some cheap carbons (Pro 3D, Stealth) vs. more expensive ones (Align, Youngblood) and there was a marginal gain in performance according to a data logger with the better blades. There was not as much cavitating with the better blades but the only way you might see the difference is if you are at the top of the 3D heap and your butt is on the line, lol.

I would upgrade only what you need to in order to fly. The 400 will fly just fine out of the box and the upgraded servos will help take quite a bit of the slop out of the head and tail. The HS-65's are just as easily stripped in an accident as the S75's are. I have JR 285's on mine and will change the gears to metal the next time they strip. Think about a faster tail servo (change it when one of the collective servos strips) and consider a more responsive gyro in the future.

The G110 gyro works just fine but it is not the best out there. However, a peizo gyro is a peizo gyro so don't bother changing it out for another one of those. Think about a Quark, or Futaba 401. Don't bother with the cheap knock-offs, however, that is my opinion. I have an Align GP780 on mine with the Align DS420 tail servo and that is a nice combo (not all share that opinion) for the purpose I have in mind for this one. It will become the mechanics of a scale Hughes 500C.

As to upgrading the plastic parts to metal, consider leaving your 400 fairly stock and then when you have become much better with it, pick up a T-Rex Pro or Sport. There are others out there as well, but your local hobby shop most likely carries parts for Align and E-Flite and if they have reasonable prices, that may drive your purchases.

The usuals should include blade grips, Bell/Hiller linkages, belt, servo gears for what ever type you have in it, flybar, paddles, tail boom supports, main and auto-rotation gears, tail boom, and have a frame on hand in case of a big pile-up as they are cheap. I have not broken any other head component and the worst crash I have had resulted in only grips, blades, feathering shaft, mainshaft, flybar, flybar control rod, and paddles being replaced on the head. The rest was a mess, sigh. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:39 PM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts

Very good info Keyrigger! In the event that your canopy breaks you can always try one out of a 2 liter soda bottle like this one... I had to try at least one!Name: IMAG0004.jpg
Views: 159
Size: 113.9 KB
Description:

Name: IMAG0017.jpg
Views: 114
Size: 45.3 KB
Description:
bdp3822 is offline Find More Posts by bdp3822
Old Jan 04, 2011, 01:40 PM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp3822 View Post
very good info keyrigger! In the event that your canopy breaks you can always try one out of a 2 liter soda bottle like this one... I had to try at least one!Attachment 3703210

Attachment 3703211
awesome!
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:31 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
That actually looks pretty good!
loopy1 is online now Find More Posts by loopy1
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:21 PM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts

Thanks guys!! It looks better the further away you get! Lol!
bdp3822 is offline Find More Posts by bdp3822
Old Jan 06, 2011, 05:40 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of converting my Blade to FBL, so far I'm looking to use the Eflite CNC head and blade grips as I used these with the flybar set up. As the head is getting rebuilt and converted over I was wondering what would be the effects of flipping the blade grips so that pitch moves up with swash-I heard that you get a better pitch response/more snap with leading edge grips. Why does the standard set up run trailing edge as I thought this could lead to pitch jumps? I use carbon blades does this change anything or is it head design that depicts the use of leading or trailing grips?
Is this a bad idea??
As you can see I have many questions so any answers in part or whole would be great....

Thanks
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:45 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Leading edge, trailing edge control. This has been hashed out over and over and everyone has an opinion. Mine is that it doesn't really matter. What matters is where the blade pivots on its longitudinal axis in relation to its aerodynamic center. This will dictate whether you have nice control, or flutter and whether the servos have to work hard or not (assuming new, not much "slop" linkage). The farther back towards the trailing edge, the more snap due to the twisting force that the air exerts on the blade and the more precise the control needs to be, otherwise you'll constantly be yo-yo'ing due to linkage slop. The construction of the blades themselves will dictate that axis. Flip the grips if you feel like it. You may find with leading edge control that you have a little more total range. That's about it.
Last edited by loopy1; Jan 09, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:53 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Thanks for the info.
If its not going to make much difference I'll leave well alone-for the moment. I've already got enough new variables with the converted head and FBL system.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:18 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Sheesh! I got the Flymentor figured out for my B400 FPV and went outside to test it today, and fried the CC45 ESC..... Back to the bench. Heli is OK, but the ESC let all the magic smoke out so I'll have to get a new one. The ESC is not hooked up through the FlyMentor, so I believe it was just a coincidence. Still a bummer though....
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:23 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy1 View Post
Sheesh! I got the Flymentor figured out for my B400 FPV and went outside to test it today, and fried the CC45 ESC..... Back to the bench. Heli is OK, but the ESC let all the magic smoke out so I'll have to get a new one. The ESC is not hooked up through the FlyMentor, so I believe it was just a coincidence. Still a bummer though....
So does that mean that you can not bypass the ESC ? Good luck and Best Regards.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:35 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,332 Posts
Dusted my Blade400 off today and flew it for the first time in probably 5 months. I was just getting into FF when I decided to pursue bigger planes of the glow persuasion so this thing got put on the shelf.

I hovered in non-idle up a few time and set it back down as I didnt want to get too confident with such a long time away. Anyway changed the blades and the main shaft as they must have been damaged the last time I flew it because the shaft was bent and the blades were dinged.

Think I might fly this regularly now.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Dusted my Blade400 off today and flew it for the first time in probably 5 months. I was just getting into FF when I decided to pursue bigger planes of the glow persuasion so this thing got put on the shelf.

I hovered in non-idle up a few time and set it back down as I didnt want to get too confident with such a long time away. Anyway changed the blades and the main shaft as they must have been damaged the last time I flew it because the shaft was bent and the blades were dinged.

Think I might fly this regularly now.
Now thats the spirit, but just go slow on the learning curve. Good luck and Best Regards.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:34 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segroegt View Post
So does that mean that you can not bypass the ESC ? Good luck and Best Regards.
The ESC caught on fire. Castle Creations has a nice flat rate fee for repair of their ESC's though. Should be able to get it back up and flying in 2-3 weeks (depending on how fast I get it fixed/replaced). I'll try to get a picture of what they have to fix or replace posted soon and hopefully get it off to Castle soon.

I'll probably get new bearings for the motor too, as it's seen a lot of use. That may be what caused the ESC to fry itself, but I haven't had any time to dissect it that far yet. We have some company here from out of town, so I don't have much time for my helis for a little while.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:23 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Sooo.... this might be more of a "replace" than a "repair.....
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:32 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
segroegt,

Just noticed your avatar. Cat's Eye nebula?

/Dave