HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:18 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Too dang windy at the field today, so I did a little 3rd person hover of my Blade 400. With all that extra weight on it, it's pretty stable, kinda like a T-Rex 450.... ( and unlike me...)

/Dave

Blade 400 FPV 3rd person test 2b (4 min 27 sec)
loopy1 is offline Find More Posts by loopy1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:32 AM
Can't-Get-Right
Souf' East UK
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Nice flight and video Dave. Very smooth.
tedwearsahat is offline Find More Posts by tedwearsahat
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:29 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Thanks Ted! Just showing what's up with my very 1st RC aircraft there. It still flies, even with an extra pound of stuff hanging off of it. I'm sure the higher headspeed and big Scorpion motor help in that respect.... I just ordered a FlyMentor stabizer for it from HK, so if it works, that should really be a big help for hovering FPV (little Christmas present to myself). This is my "crash it and bash it" bird (still original frame with some small unimportant pieces missing....). When I get the hang of FPV heli, I'll transfer the gear over to either my T-Rex 600 CF, or I'll build a new HK 600 GT for it. Gotta get past the FPV crash it and bash it stage first...

/Dave
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:58 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy1 View Post
Thanks Ted! Just showing what's up with my very 1st RC aircraft there. It still flies, even with an extra pound of stuff hanging off of it. I'm sure the higher headspeed and big Scorpion motor help in that respect.... I just ordered a FlyMentor stabizer for it from HK, so if it works, that should really be a big help for hovering FPV (little Christmas present to myself). This is my "crash it and bash it" bird (still original frame with some small unimportant pieces missing....). When I get the hang of FPV heli, I'll transfer the gear over to either my T-Rex 600 CF, or I'll build a new HK 600 GT for it. Gotta get past the FPV crash it and bash it stage first...

/Dave
Hey Loopy . We all need another video, please. Thanks. Best Regards.
segroegt is offline Find More Posts by segroegt
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:40 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
I almost had another video. Last Sunday, I flew it for the first time from start to landing under the goggles with another club member as a spotter. Had to auto down due to a weak battery shortly after takeoff, but didn't hurt anything so I flew again right away with a new battery. I took off again and flew around for a few minutes then came in for a landing. Landed a little rough. Took it back to the bench and realized that I forgot to hit the darn "Record" button on the Aiptek DVR!

I checked it over quickly and went to fly again to get a recording, but I must have hit the tail blades on that last landing. I spooled up and didn't even get off the ground when one of the tail blades took off for parts unknown! Bent tail shaft, so it's on the bench getting repaired. Lucky it was still on the ground when that happened! Hopefully I'll get it fixed and get some more video this weekend. FPV heli is a kick in the pants!!

I also bought a FlyMentor stabilizer from HK for a Christmas present to myself. When I get that up and running, that should help with the landings! I also got some slightly longer FG main blades for it. It's a little mushy flying with all that extra weight, so if the 335mm FG's don't help enough I might bump up the headspeed with another tooth on the pinion.

/Dave
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:38 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
I almost had another video. Last Sunday, I flew it for the first time from start to landing under the goggles with another club member as a spotter. Had to auto down due to a weak battery shortly after takeoff, but didn't hurt anything so I flew again right away with a new battery. I took off again and flew around for a few minutes then came in for a landing. Landed a little rough. Took it back to the bench and realized that I forgot to hit the darn "Record" button on the Aiptek DVR!

I checked it over quickly and went to fly again to get a recording, but I must have hit the tail blades on that last landing. I spooled up and didn't even get off the ground when one of the tail blades took off for parts unknown! Bent tail shaft, so it's on the bench getting repaired. Lucky it was still on the ground when that happened! Hopefully I'll get it fixed and get some more video this weekend. FPV heli is a kick in the pants!!

I also bought a FlyMentor stabilizer from HK for a Christmas present to myself. When I get that up and running, that should help with the landings! I also got some slightly longer FG main blades for it. It's a little mushy flying with all that extra weight, so if the 335mm FG's don't help enough I might bump up the headspeed with another tooth on the pinion.

/Dave
Thanks Dave for your update, I just hope the weather will be ok for you this weekend. We are having + 7 C with rain or freezing rain, all from that big system in the USA now close to the great lakes with hot air from south of the border, so I will again be flying inside with the small MSR and dream of better weather soon. Best Regards.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:12 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
We've got snow and cold for the weekend and into next week. But our club has its annual "Frozen Finger Fun Fly" on the morning of the 1st. If I can drag my a$$ out of bed and go to that I will.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 06:17 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
We've got snow and cold for the weekend and into next week. But our club has its annual "Frozen Finger Fun Fly" on the morning of the 1st. If I can drag my a$$ out of bed and go to that I will.
Now thats the spirit. Good luck. Best Regards.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:25 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Dec 2010
85 Posts
Help with my 400 please

Nice videos ! I started out with MCX, MCX2, MSR.. all in the last 2 weeks lol. I wanted a 6i for the MSR, found one on CL that came with a 400.

The guy I bought it from demoed it for me in his home because it was really windy outside. All the servos worked, he hovered it, it seemed fine.

My intention was to sell it but, now I decided to keep it. Not knowing anything about the 6i I played with the settings on the 400 thinking im not going to use it on 400 any way. Well I decided to try and fly it. I charged battery, installed it, and all it does it sit there and make noise like the servos are adjusting, really faint sound, and the red light on back is solid red. The radio also has solid red light. No servos move and motor wont budge. Also, if I turn off the TX, the light is still solid on 400

Perhaps Im in over my head being a noob. Help would be greatly appreciated!
zaskarx is offline Find More Posts by zaskarx
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:01 PM
Dyslexic crash pro!
Westminster, CO
Joined Jun 2008
1,554 Posts
Here' is an excellent source of info. Continual thanks to Slyster for putting it all together! Start at the top and work your way through! Links for just about everything you need to do, including videos of how to do it. You'll have to join helifreak to view the videos there though.

http://www.slyster.com/heli/b400bible.html

/Dave
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:10 PM
Slowly but Shirley
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Jan 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaskarx View Post
Nice videos ! I started out with MCX, MCX2, MSR.. all in the last 2 weeks lol. I wanted a 6i for the MSR, found one on CL that came with a 400.

The guy I bought it from demoed it for me in his home because it was really windy outside. All the servos worked, he hovered it, it seemed fine.

My intention was to sell it but, now I decided to keep it. Not knowing anything about the 6i I played with the settings on the 400 thinking im not going to use it on 400 any way. Well I decided to try and fly it. I charged battery, installed it, and all it does it sit there and make noise like the servos are adjusting, really faint sound, and the red light on back is solid red. The radio also has solid red light. No servos move and motor wont budge. Also, if I turn off the TX, the light is still solid on 400

Perhaps Im in over my head being a noob. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Hey My Friend,welcome to our big family. Like Loopy1 said, go slow from the top with the DX6i and the 400, this is becoming serious and dangerous stuff that you have in your hands. If I was you I would check the Tx first with what parameter in the TX the previous owner input in and the features position on the Tx ,like throttle hold and idle up switch . And after check the Heli, the batt.the motor the ESC and the servos connections and the gyro with the RX. also all linkage and if there is binding in the head and tail and set up.And again go slow and make sure All is ok before trying to attempt to hover or to take off, seriously. Good luck and do not forget we are here for you. We all went the way you are going. We are Mostly all serious about our hobby and the Blade 400. Best Regards.
Last edited by segroegt; Dec 31, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:01 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Dec 2010
85 Posts
Hey thanks guys! I think the 400 is too much for me, its up for sale. After reading on maintenance, repairs, too much of a step. I decided to get a Champ tomorrow .
zaskarx is offline Find More Posts by zaskarx
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:52 AM
USA, NH, Salem
Joined Sep 2010
28 Posts
a quick note and a major THANK YOU to whoever said to junk the eflite servos and upgrade. Upgraded to Hi-tec's and I cannot believe the difference!
jclifford is offline Find More Posts by jclifford
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:58 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclifford View Post
a quick note and a major THANK YOU to whoever said to junk the eflite servos and upgrade. Upgraded to Hi-tec's and I cannot believe the difference!
Hi

I cant find that post, what was the upgrade?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:08 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Hi; I'm a bit late to the party, just getting one of these at Christmas. I have learned about the servos and have bought HS-65's to replace the S-75's. That's no big deal since I have used the latter on planes for years and can use them there. I sold the DX6i and plan on using my DX7 with it. All the set up info in this thread is helpful and I have spend quite a bit of time going over it all, plus the "bible". One thing I find a bit confusing is all the options for rotor blades that are out there. It seems like the Aligh and other brands of blades will work, but I think the E-Flite blade holds are slightly different in dimensions. Is this true? I'd like to go to something a bit tougher than the stock blades, but the only ones I have found that state they will fit is the JSC 325 mm ones. Is that true? I'm in the process of ordering spare parts to keep in stock since I live a long way from any LHS that stocks anything for this. The blades, shaft etc. are obvious to have on hand, what else? And are the machined parts worth upgrading to in any areas?

Thanks!

FYI, I have flown glow helis before a few years ago and coaxial elec, but never a CP electric. I'll take it slow...
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda