Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
FYI

I've started a google code project and began filling up the how-to
http://code.google.com/p/ardudrone/wiki/HowTo

The latest files can be downloaded there also:
http://ardudrone.googlecode.com/file...eRC_v0.2.1.zip

It's not yet done and missing still alot but for the impatient willing to do some research on his own should be enough to get started
nosaari is offline Find More Posts by nosaari
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:00 AM
Denmark (Europe)
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
nosaari

That is a very nice ardudrone site you have started!
Looking forward to see it completed, a couple of photos or wiring diagram f.x. on the hardware page would be great...
Keep up the good work:-)
TlPro is offline Find More Posts by TlPro
Old Mar 04, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaari View Post
FYI

I've started a google code project and began filling up the how-to

The latest files can be downloaded there also:
http://ardudrone.googlecode.com/file...eRC_v0.2.1.zip

It's not yet done and missing still alot but for the impatient willing to do some research on his own should be enough to get started
Wow. nosaari .. very appreciate your effort..and MAPGPS .. too.

We've checked ATcommand in real time through telnet...
learned by trial and error.
A few miniute ago.. The AR.Drone started to follow our Stick control..

Now we make our AR.Drone fly.. with RC controller..
that is amazing.. *^^*
But. still have problem..

1. if turn on both IPhone and RC Controller , RC Controll command might be pushed back ou the priority list..
I think.. need to block the IPhone command...
HOW to make it possible?

2. Second Problem is.. AR.Drone's instability..
very frequently throttle power up and down.. itself..
I've heard that firmware 1.3.3 have some problem in stability.. right?

if possible, we want to try this work in other firmware version..
I downloaded.. kernel.."ARDrone_Version_20100809_1_2-linux-2.6.27.tar"
"20110209_linux-2.6.27.tar.bz2"
" Ubuntu 10.10"..and VMWare..
but I have no idea next to do ~~ .haha.

PLZ is there anyone who can give infomation?..

Of course . I planed upload our process. and movie file..
although almost same with nosaari and.. MAPGPS..

just Wait few time.. we are rearranging our procedure for AR.Drone with RC Controll without WIFI module..~~!
ASAP we'll upload our report ..~~!
giros is offline Find More Posts by giros
Last edited by giros; Mar 04, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Great to hear you got the mod working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giros View Post
1. if turn on both IPhone and RC Controller , RC Controll command might be pushed back ou the priority list..
I think.. need to block the IPhone command...
HOW to make it possible?
This is a known drawback of the current version, if you connect both, they conflict with each other. Solution would be to pair the local proxy app with the server, so no other commands are accepted. This is planned for the next version but I wanted to get the How To done first.

Quote:
2. Second Problem is.. AR.Drone's instability..
very frequently throttle power up and down.. itself..
I've heard that firmware 1.3.3 have some problem in stability.. right?
Hm never seen this problem on mine. Have you checked your throttle settings? For example a too small deadzone might cause this?

Quote:
if possible, we want to try this work in other firmware version..
I downloaded.. kernel.."ARDrone_Version_20100809_1_2-linux-2.6.27.tar"
"20110209_linux-2.6.27.tar.bz2"
" Ubuntu 10.10"..and VMWare..
but I have no idea next to do ~~ .haha.
As far as I know, the kernel sources found on this site https://projects.ardrone.org/documents/show/19 are the latest provided by parrot and are those for firmware 1.3.3! So we must wait until they release newer one because we already build with this one.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
As far as I know, the kernel sources found on this site https://projects.ardrone.org/documents/show/19 are the latest provided by parrot and are those for firmware 1.3.3! So we must wait until they release newer one because we already build with this one.
The latest kernel source of AR.Drone was posted on Feb 9, 2011:
https://projects.ardrone.org/attachm...2.6.27.tar.bz2
They have not formally announced it, but you can find it via the "Activity" on their site.

Actually, our *.ko modules are not version sensitive, you can simply use a binary editor to modify the version magic string in *.ko files to match the kernel in your new firmware (use "uname -r" to find out the version magic).
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:51 PM
Tech Junkie
Wichita, KS
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
Is this working with 1.5.1 AR firmware? Anything special to do other than the basic guidelines on the first pages of this thread?

Thank you!

Ross
babblin5 is offline Find More Posts by babblin5
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:11 PM
Tech Junkie
Wichita, KS
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
Anyone have an extra YellowJacket?

I can't find these in stock anywhere.... anyone have one they'd be willing to sell along with the breakout USB controller?

Thanks!

Ross
Old Mar 06, 2011, 02:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
FYI
Just finished first draft of the how-to of the wifi-less mod:

Also I opened up a new thread so this will not get hijacked by the wifi less anymore
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401935
Old Mar 06, 2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Junkie
Wichita, KS
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
I think the above post answered all my questions 8)
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:56 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
354 Posts
I have an ar.drone question, hopefully someone in this thread could help answer it. How many total channels does the ar.drone have and would it be possible to run more channels to it. The reason I ask is that it would be pretty sweet to have a pan and tilt system added onto the drone to further enhance the fpv experience.

Thanks for any thoughts on it in advance!
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Piloting Drone From iDevice BUT takeoff/landing from a computer

Hi,

I am trying to make a system by which a number of AR Drones are made to land without any input from the players. The idea is that a series of games with a time limit of a couple of minutes could be run, and they end with all the drones landing. Being able to take-off in a similar manner would be a benefit here as well. It seemed to me the way to do this would be by sending the landing AT command to each drone from a computer. I am currently trying to get this to work with a single drone, but without much luck. Using some java code started by MAPGPS (and then I think modified by others) I have managed to get the drone to take off and land while connected to the computer. I thought, because of the way in which the drones are paired with the iPads, that if I spoofed the MAC address of the iPads I would be able to connect to the Drones Adhoc network, and the drone would essentially see my computer as being the same device. However, when I do this, and then try my proposed solution nothing happens. Does anybody know whether this is possible? I've read loads of the forum, but it seems nobody has tried this one yet.

Any help would be really appreciated.

My friend that i am working with has already posted the questions on this forum, so we can share any updates: https://projects.ardrone.org/boards/1/topics/show/2682
chope1 is offline Find More Posts by chope1
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:39 AM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
@ superevan
The drone does not natively have "channels" like your RC receiver, it is controlled via a WiFi connection. But if you use a RC Radio to control the drone like described here, you can use a RC receiver with as many channels as you need and use them to control whatever you want.

@ chope1
This really does not fit here, you should open a new thread...
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chope1 View Post
I am trying to make a system by which a number of AR Drones are made to land without any input from the players.
My friend that i am working with has already posted the questions on this forum, so we can share any updates: https://projects.ardrone.org/boards/1/topics/show/2682
Parrot forum is not a right place to discuss such a topic which is not supportted by Parrot. You won't get a anwser from that forum.

Here is a related post for such topic:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/....php?f=8&t=807
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Old Mar 08, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
ok so what is the shopping list of what i need to get and where ive been going through here but everything is jumped around and is it true that the yj is not available any more
Rcxracing is offline Find More Posts by Rcxracing
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:09 PM
Tech Junkie
Wichita, KS
Joined Apr 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcxracing View Post
ok so what is the shopping list of what i need to get and where ive been going through here but everything is jumped around and is it true that the yj is not available any more
You can go here: http://code.google.com/p/ardudrone/wiki/HowTo for a guide that uses different parts to get your drone set up for RC control.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:02 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPGPS View Post
The latest kernel source of AR.Drone was posted on Feb 9, 2011:
https://projects.ardrone.org/attachm...2.6.27.tar.bz2
They have not formally announced it, but you can find it via the "Activity" on their site.

Actually, our *.ko modules are not version sensitive, you can simply use a binary editor to modify the version magic string in *.ko files to match the kernel in your new firmware (use "uname -r" to find out the version magic).
Why do you bother with all this module stuff? If you use an Arduino mini (Sparkfun DEV-09218 ~$19) it has a Voltage regulator on it and you can power it from pin 2 of the drone (12V) which is not switched. The Arduino regulator can also act as the BEC for the RX. All you have to do is write a program for the Drone that reads it's standard input and relays that to local socket 5556. On the Arduino side you wait until all the boot stuff is over (20 seconds), send a '\r' to get a shell and launch that program which propably ended up in /data/video. Make sure once you have ftp'ed the relay program , it is executable (chmod +x ...).
I got this working with an AR6100 <-> DX7. and drone firmware 1.5.1.
This way one does not have to mess with the system files and the drone behaves 'normal' if you disconnect the addition.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Last edited by miru; Mar 12, 2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:16 AM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Please share with more details in this thread, it might be valuable input to improve the ongoing wifi-less mod further!

Btw it's funny by now how often I have read that someone has written an proxy app for the arduino, how easy it is and that he got it working... But have never seen any code or proof for it...
Last edited by nosaari; Mar 13, 2011 at 05:39 AM. Reason: doubt :)
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:59 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Please share with more details in this thread, it might be valuable input to improve the ongoing wifi-less mod further!

Btw it's funny by now how often I have read that someone has written an proxy app for the arduino, how easy it is and that he got it working... But have never seen any code or proof for it...
If you are talking about the program that runs on the drone and collects the data from the arduino, it is easy... try this:
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:16 PM
Lyon, France
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
Thanks from France Mheeli,

I've just finished the whole thing
TurboDelire is offline Find More Posts by TurboDelire
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:08 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDelire View Post
Thanks from France Mheeli,
I've just finished the whole thing
and we can tell that it seems to work with firmware 1.4.6...
If it can help
Mine will be with FW 1.4.7... i will tell how it works as well
regards...
lolo
Lorenzo29 is offline Find More Posts by Lorenzo29
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:49 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
If you are talking about the program that runs on the drone and collects the data from the arduino, it is easy... try this:
That is a good idea miru! I have been thinking on how to do the WiFi-Less mod for quite some weeks now. Nosaari and MAPGPS has done great work on that. But I want to touch the Drone software as little as possible.

If you don't mind, may I take you code and do the necessary modification to talk the Arduino?

For those going the WiFi Less route, no need to buy a new Arduino Mini. Just need to disable the Wifi chip on the YJ (via programming) it then becomes a normal Arduino mini.
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:49 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,322 Posts
Mheeli, be my guest, you can do whatever you want with it. I am thinking of sharing everything I've done to my drone here, so people can get yet another view of how this could be done, just did not want to confuse things...
Beware, the drone software raises the drone's RX pin to 1.8V for 110ms after powerup to check for some connection on that port. You don't wan't the Arduino have it's TX pin activated as an ooutput during that time, because the drone goes into some funky update mode if there is something there.... You'll have no problems if you wait for the drone to raise it's TX pin (would be RX input on Arduino) before turning your TX on.
Last edited by miru; Mar 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: addition
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Guys why double or triple the work that has already been done?!

Please take a look at the ongoing wifi-less mod project page here
http://code.google.com/p/ardudrone/
especially the available sources, you can find the arduino sketch for the serial version there as well as the sources of a simple proxy app (I know, it's trivial but at least this version is commented )
http://code.google.com/p/ardudrone/s...e/#svn%2Ftrunk

As I don't want to highjack this thread again with discussion about the wifi-less mod I also want to point out to the other thread:

I think miru pointed out some new facts, we did not yet consider but that could simplify the mod a lot!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:18 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Guys why double or triple the work that has already been done?!

Please take a look at the ongoing wifi-less mod project page here
http://code.google.com/p/ardudrone/
especially the available sources, you can find the arduino sketch for the serial version there as well as the sources of a simple proxy app (I know, it's trivial but at least this version is commented )
http://code.google.com/p/ardudrone/s...e/#svn%2Ftrunk

As I don't want to highjack this thread again with discussion about the wifi-less mod I also want to point out to the other thread:

I think miru pointed out some new facts, we did not yet consider but that could simplify the mod a lot!
Nosaari, I did take a look at the available sources and, sorry, had several issues with it:
1) the proxy app uses functions (fscanf, getopt, fopen, fprintf...) which are on my blacklist for real time applications and I try to avoid using them. Also, printing error messages in case an argument is wrong or something else happens, is nice for interactive use, but just confuses a program that has to deal with it. For the same reason you should also turn off the echo on the serial port or you have do deal with it on the Arduino side. Contrary to your comments in the code, a '\r' (0x0d) is a Carriage Return, a '\n' (0x10) is a Line Feed. The drone developper guide got this confused as well, however the drone software will not honor any AT command that is not terminated by '\r'. Keep in mind, that on a UNIX system, unless you do something, a read on a terminal will block until the driver sees a '\n' coming in. There is a flag in termios that will translate a '\r' (Enter key) to '\n'. You want to turn that off, this way the Arduino can catenate multiple AT commands separated by '\r' into one message and just put a terminating '\n' into the message, which the proxy app should strip....
2) the Arduino sketch, as I pointed out in another post, has a challenge with sampling the RX signals and making the timeout requirement on the drone. I don't use any of the Arduino software because it has been made for other applications and uses this 'sketch' paradigm I don't get (my bad). I use a gcc-4.5 based cross-toolchain and avrdude with USBtinyISP to get the program on the Mini.
3) In my world comments in code are not appreciated if you just call a couple of system functions that are well documented, but you are right, I need to add some description about what the program does on the top...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
Now this is some valuable input! Thank you for your words. As you might (or might not) have noticed I went from almost zero knowledge about all that stuff to realizing this mod on the drone in the last few weeks (with a lot of help from others like MAPGPS! ). I have some programming experience but not that much in basic c and linux systems, so your criticism is more than welcome!

1) Good points, most of this is due to my lack of experience on that platform. Albeit the app runs very good in its current state, never experienced any input lag, so never considered changing. And all that output is of course only for setting it up and testing and should never be seen in the final running state!

2) I hate the arduino IDE but it is clean and simple and thus perfect for most people without programming experience to get the sketch on the mini and do some basic setup.

3) Here are a lot of people that do not share the programming experience you no doubt have. Any comment, even if it might be trivial to you, helps learning and understanding whats going on. (I might add, I come from a world where a program, no matter how good it is, is considered crap without proper documentation, two worlds collide! )

Part of the reason why we realized all this with usb is to generally enable the USB port on the drone for any application (e.g. stick for video recording, 3G modem, …). But apart from that, a concern was (and is) that using the arduino to convert the 12V all the way down to 5V is very inefficient and wastes a lot of energy. Also I heard the little converter gets hot very quickly on the mini! What is your experience here? What is more efficient, use the provided 5V from the drone or let the arduino do the conversion? Latter of course has the big advantage that the power is already available without changes to the system.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:53 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,322 Posts
I measured 65mA for the whole setup including the AR6100, so the regulator has to dissipate 0.065A * (12-5)V = 0.455W. The readings on the digivolt fluctuate quite a bit, the 65mA is the max I saw. I doubt that the battery stays at 12V once the motors get going, so the real dissipation is propably less. I checked on the bench letting the drone and the whole setup sit at 12V for 10 minutes, the regulator was 10F above ambient. I don't know what kind of regulator the drone people are using to make the 5V for USB, but it would, unless it is a switching regulator, incurr the same kind of heat dissipation.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,322 Posts
Quote:
2) I hate the arduino IDE but it is clean and simple and thus perfect for most people without programming experience to get the sketch on the mini and do some basic setup.
You have a good point there! I am moving towards lifting all AT command generation out of the 'sketch' to simplify it. The big advantage would be, that all the configuration commands could be read from a file on the drone, including things like turning navdata and video on/off AND the proxy app could listen to the status data to adhere to the CONFIG protocol... as well as resetting the COMWDG at appropriate times.
The only thing I am worried about is that the drone processor might run out of gas, it already has problems keeping up when I really make it go. Listening to status data and inserting the commands at the 'right' time might help some.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:34 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Wheeli

I had already ordered the new equipment. I have two AR Drones so I can use both systems.

You said you were interested in using larger motors with your AR.D and it looks like i2c is the type of motor controller that is used. This is a link to a new converter for i2c FC.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1399162

I already asked TIMECOP to make a i2c converter for the AR Drone. The more that ask the better.

By the way the Drone flies well with the conversion. I added a magnet to the AR.D that hangs below about a foot so I can pickup metal and move it from place to place. The electric magnet turned on and off with the 6th ch so I can pickup and drop. I just use a small brushed ESC as a switch. Kind of a fun game and very challenging.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
That is a good idea miru! I have been thinking on how to do the WiFi-Less mod for quite some weeks now. Nosaari and MAPGPS has done great work on that. But I want to touch the Drone software as little as possible.

If you don't mind, may I take you code and do the necessary modification to talk the Arduino?

For those going the WiFi Less route, no need to buy a new Arduino Mini. Just need to disable the Wifi chip on the YJ (via programming) it then becomes a normal Arduino mini.
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
16 Posts
what about the fs 2.4 ch. transmitter/reciever on ebay nay or yay they are cheap remotes, but will they work?
Rcxracing is offline Find More Posts by Rcxracing
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:37 PM
Lyon, France
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcxracing View Post
what about the fs 2.4 ch. transmitter/reciever on ebay nay or yay they are cheap remotes, but will they work?
Hi,

i own an "orange 8ch FASST Futaba compatible rx" and a Futaba 7C tx.

Almost everything works, but this rx has not been officialy test.

i still have some pbs with this rx (i need to test with the official futaba rx wich is on my big lama).

I test it with YJ v2.1_1 & 2.&_2 : same thing

no yaw on right or very poor responsive command on right yaw (depends)

i should say that I'm flying in mode 1, so I had to invert some cables going to the rx.

the better thing would be to post the rx output here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171547 but you need a db25 (LPT1) connection on your computer and unfortunately I don't have any on my laptop.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:05 AM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello MHeeli,

i did started the mod to my AR.Drone... it Rocks ! Thank's again, up to now, everything is fine... (it's not finished... )

I would like to help further candidates for this mod by pointing out a small uncertainty in the Mod...
For the one using sketch 2.1.2, read the following :

In the procedure described in post #2 Post #2 there is a parameter which is no more in accordance with the user_config.h of sketch version 2.1.2
Frankly, it's very simple but it can be a bit confusing for a newbee.
In fact, there is a confusion on the "WIFI_DISABLE" #define.

In the procedure, chapter 9, you mention :

9) Config YJ to talk to Ar.Drone

Back to the Arduino IDE. We need to edit the "user_config.h" file. Do not touch the other 2 files.

Click on the "user_config.h" tab and change the following from

#define PRINT_DEBUG 1 // En/Disable debug
#define WIFI_DISABLE 1 // En/Disable WiFI to test radio

to

#define PRINT_DEBUG 0 // En/Disable debug
#define WIFI_DISABLE 0 // En/Disable WiFI to test radio

so it means, that, when the setting of the YJ is ready, and when the AR.Drone firmware has been modified, it's now time to fly with the drone, then WIFI_DISABLE must be set to 0. Which means that WIFI will be enabled...

BUT, in the sketch 2.1.2, to enable or disable wifi you just need to uncomment or comment the #define WIFI_ENABLE
So, when it's time to fly with the drone, WIFI_ENABLE must be uncomment.

Her we are, this not very complicated, but again, for a newbee, it could be confusing...

I hope it helps...

Regards

Laurent D
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Mar 22, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:14 AM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello again,

in the same way, for the newbee, i would like to point out that, by default, in sketch 2.1.2, the parameter
#define PRINT_DEBUG is comment (// caracter start the line)

Consequently, when you follow step by step the procedure, chapter 4 :
.../...
4.7) Now upload the sketch to YJ
4.8) Once uploaded, open the Serial port monitor under Tools. Set the speed to 38400.
4.9) You should now see some messages complaining about Moving the stick to middle.
you do not see any message sent by the YJ

So, before doing the upload to the YJ, you need to check in the user_config.h that the parameter
#define PRINT_DEBUG is uncomment
If not, so, do the job... and modify it :
#define PRINT_DEBUG

Again, i would like to point out that this is a very small uncertainty in the wonderfull procedure proposed by MHeely... it's just to help in case of...

Bye bye...

Regards.

Laurent D
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Mar 22, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,685 Posts
Had the Drone out for a flight today. A bit windy but what the heck, I've been cooped up inside all winter. I was forced to land twice when the Drone was taken away by the wind. It can get small very fast. After the first landing, I realized I was on low rates..doh! Funny thing, I landed by reducing throttle until on the ground, then I hit the land switch. When I got closer to it, I switched to take-off and it did. My throttle was still in the low position, no biggy though. I'm still getting yaw issues. I'm going back to my AR6200, which did not give me problems.

AR Drone in the wind (6 min 32 sec)
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
OMG, this information is amazing (and overwhelming)! I have been debating getting an Ar Drone, or a Quad flyer and getting an FPV setup. The wiring and soldering I could do, but not the programming. I'd love to get an Ar drone and convert it to work with my JR X9303 and get an FPV goggle setup, since it looks so nice and stable. What do you think, are you guys willing to help me almost step by step? . Start off with a complete parts list please hahaha. YJ's and breakout boards have me lost .
lindseyg is offline Find More Posts by lindseyg
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:17 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyg View Post
OMG, this information is amazing (and overwhelming)! I have been debating getting an Ar Drone, or a Quad flyer and getting an FPV setup. The wiring and soldering I could do, but not the programming. I'd love to get an Ar drone and convert it to work with my JR X9303 and get an FPV goggle setup, since it looks so nice and stable. What do you think, are you guys willing to help me almost step by step? . Start off with a complete parts list please hahaha. YJ's and breakout boards have me lost .
This one has it all done for you if interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359379

mcrotor
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,

few picture from my setup...

For you information, i used a Flytron 5V/1A BEC.
Tiny 5volt Regulator - FLYTRON
Very nice for this application because it is very small and has two output connectors, so, no need to make a Y cable to power the RX and the YJ card. On the other side of the BEC, i got the power on the balancing plug of the lipo.

To pick up the channel signals on the RX, i used only two servo connectors plugged horizontally, thus, it was very straightforward to inject on the YJ the five channels of my AR6100e

tomorrow, it will fly with my DX7 transmitter...

Thank's a lot Mheeli !!!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello...

this evening, first flight with my AR.Drone and a DX7 transmitter... in the house lounge (it was too late when i had time to do it, night was already there... )

And, everything worked all right ! So gooooooood !
By the way, for information : firmware 1.4.7 (AR.Freeflight 1.6.1)

Auto-takeoff by tilting up the FLT-Mode switch of the DX7, then, few moves with the roll and pitch stick showed me that the Drone was responding ok. Few action on the throttle stick showed me the same, seems very smooth. I didn't take time to test the Yaw... children were already sleeping
And finally, auto-landing with the FLT-Mode switch back to normal...

A full success !

Thank's a lot Mheeli, this a great Mod for the Parrot !

Regards...

Laurent from France.

ps : my RX is AR6100e (genuine Spektrum )
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Apr 07, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 04:49 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,

by the way, a small question :

Is it not a problem to remove the external wifi antenna of the yellowjacket ?
Is it not going to spoil the wifi transmitter ?

See you...

Laurent
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo29 View Post
Hello,

by the way, a small question :

Is it not a problem to remove the external wifi antenna of the yellowjacket ?
Is it not going to spoil the wifi transmitter ?

See you...

Laurent
The YJ has an antennea built into the board. The external antenna is to increase the range of the wi-fi, which is not required since the YJ stays with the drone.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:17 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
The YJ has an antennea built into the board. The external antenna is to increase the range of the wi-fi, which is not required since the YJ stays with the drone.
ok, thank's lot for this info...
Bye
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:28 PM
Lyon, France
Joined Feb 2011
8 Posts
Mheeli,

Can you please include the R617FS futaba receiver ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1171547&page=2

I tried this one today in place of my orange RX futaba compatible receiver, but still have some little pb with the Yaw and sometimes the 'Off' button.

Thanks a lot
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:11 AM
Vulcan skyhook multirotor
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Feb 2011
665 Posts
I have seen for sometime now that this item is not available on the labs website do anyone know when this will be back i wanted to convert my drone to use with my hitec aurora9 radio
Andre6553 is offline Find More Posts by Andre6553
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
Kick The Tires Light The Fires
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Aug 2010
5 Posts
Well this sucks for this mod if you have a YJ they will be vary vary hard to come by now this was just posted on asynclabs.com

The End of the Journey
Written by AsyncLabs   
Saturday, 26 March 2011 20:34
As I'm sure that most people have figured out, things are changing at AsyncLabs.  So instead of beating around the bush, I'll just come out and say it.  After much consideration and thought, AsyncLabs will be shutting it's doors.  A lot of it boils down to just not having enough time to really devote to AsyncLabs, and what it takes to continue innovating future products for the community.  It's something that has been brewing for the past few months, and it's best that we let everybody know instead of just keeping everybody on edge, hoping that we will come out with some more WiShield, BlackWidow, and YellowJacket parts soon.
The website wiki and forums will remain up for the foreseeable future, to help those that would like to use our designs to make parts for themselves.  All the parts are still available (the WiFi module is available from Microchip), so there should still be an avenue for people to add WiFi to their designs.  
I want to personally thank everybody for the wonderful experience, and the ability to provide a unique part to the community.  It really is a part that is desperately needed, and I hope that somebody picks up the torch where we left off.  I have no doubt that somebody will make products vastly superior to ours.  
I'm sure that at some point in the future I'll be back at this again, tinkering my way to something else interesting, but for now, my family needs some of my attention (as well as my day employer ).
COBRA-CC is offline Find More Posts by COBRA-CC
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
I have a YJ and wanted to do this mod. Just follow the steps on page one?

What firmware is everyone using on there YJ and Drone?

Should I downgrade my ar drone FW?

anything to watch out for?
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:49 PM
France - Brest
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
Hello,

i did this Mod, if you read french :
http://www.helimag.com/quadrirotors/...classique.html

I used YellowJacket Sketch 2.1.2 from Mheeli.

My AR.Drone is loaded with firmware 1.4.7 (AR.Freeflight 1.6.1).

I use a Genuine Spektrum AR6100 RX with a DX7 TX.

Everything works all right !

If your AR.Drone firmware is higher, you should try and see what's happen

Regards...

Bye
Last edited by Lorenzo29; Mar 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:59 AM
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
YellowJacket

So...where else can I find a YellowJacket card and break out box?
rjrobbin is offline Find More Posts by rjrobbin
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
YellowJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin View Post
So...where else can I find a YellowJacket card and break out box?
Or does anyone have one and decided not to proceed with the mod.

rrobbins@attglobal.net
Old Apr 02, 2011, 12:09 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Changing transmitters?

Anyone know if I can change from my Spektrum DX8 transmitter to a Spektrum DX7 to fly my RC ArDrone by just binding the new transmitter or will I have to re-verify the radio channel and stick setup on the computer?

Thanks

mcrotor
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:06 PM
Joined Dec 2006
307 Posts
YellowJacket respone

No respone for a YellowJacket replacement.

Since the YellowJacet solution just imitates the wifi of the cellphone. Is there a way you could just take the wifi out of the picture and connect the 2.4 ghz receiver to the drone in some way....
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:29 AM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrobbin View Post
No respone for a YellowJacket replacement.

Since the YellowJacet solution just imitates the wifi of the cellphone. Is there a way you could just take the wifi out of the picture and connect the 2.4 ghz receiver to the drone in some way....
Look at the Wifi-less mods