HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
Brian, looking at your picture

You might consider puting a heat shrink plastic over your YJ. Everytime we change the battery, the wire moves. And it could break loose from your YJ.
Thanks for the heads up. I noticed in your photos the shrink wrap. I have no large wrap so some electrical tape wrapped around to hold down my leads should work for the time being.

If I load the new sketch, do I have to reload my config file? I'll relaod it anyways, to change my throttle dead band.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I noticed in your photos the shrink wrap. I have no large wrap so some electrical tape wrapped around to hold down my leads should work for the time being.

If I load the new sketch, do I have to reload my config file? I'll relaod it anyways, to change my throttle dead band.
When you open Arduino IDE and load the RC_AR_Drone_V2_YJ.pde file. The other 2 files will also be opened automatically. Do your modifications to the user_config.h tab , save the click upload to your YJ.

When I post the new sketch , you need to unzip it to its own directory (not the previous one), but you can replace the user_config.h file with your modified version.
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Last edited by Mheeli; Nov 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
344 Posts
Quote:
One cool thing about the Ar.Drone is the live camera downlink directly to your iDevice. No need for analogue video Tx and a seperate receiver and screen to watch the video.

With the current Sketch, video downlink was not possible, as mentioned by Brian.

Now the Ar.Drone is "cool" again.

With the new YJ Sketch, Video downlink to iDevice is now working

You can now fly your drone with your TX and see live video on your iDevice at the same time. One additional benefit is that you can monitor your battery level on your iDevice.

I tried the new Sketch last night with the latest Ar.Drone firmware and the latest Ar.Freeflight running on my iPad. It's sweeeeeeeeeet. Video at full iPad screen

The video on the latest Ar.Drone firmware had improved a lot.

Will post the latest sketch soon...
Mheeli and Buffythesaint, now that you have the video working again in tandem with the yj and TX, would it be possible in any way to hook up some video glasses to the ipod/ipad thus giving you a dual fpv setup? I've read about others using a screen sharing app but they had it running on a jail broken device and Cydia.

>superevan<
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Nov 30, 2010, 03:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
Video over TX could get rid of the limitation of WiFi range (50m or 100m).
I expect a km level of range to FPV AR.Drone.

The 2M WiFi bandwidth between YJ and AR.Drone is not enough for Video.
Need to utlize the USB port on AR.Drone.
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Old Nov 30, 2010, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevan View Post
Mheeli and Buffythesaint, now that you have the video working again in tandem with the yj and TX, would it be possible in any way to hook up some video glasses to the ipod/ipad thus giving you a dual fpv setup? I've read about others using a screen sharing app but they had it running on a jail broken device and Cydia.

>superevan<
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPGPS View Post
Video over TX could get rid of the limitation of WiFi range (50m or 100m).
I expect a km level of range to FPV AR.Drone.

The 2M WiFi bandwidth between YJ and AR.Drone is not enough for Video.
Need to utlize the USB port on AR.Drone.
From my understanding, the video would be sent to the i devive as normal. You would still have rc control through the YJ. The video doesn't go through the YJ. I believe if you have an iPhone 4, you can hook up a video out lead that will connect to a set of googles. I was thinking of putting my iPhone on my tx tray and watch from there. I also have a lawmate 100mw vtx on the way that I will try on my Drone for better FPV video quality.

I hope others are close to doing this mod. We need more happy rc Drone flyers.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:18 AM
Joined Nov 2010
65 Posts
I mean the WiFi between AR.Drone and iPhone has range lmitation (50m or 100m), thus the video on iPhone will not be available if far away from 100m.
While video over TX could be more than 1000m.
MAPGPS is offline Find More Posts by MAPGPS
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:39 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,603 Posts
Quote:
I mean the WiFi between AR.Drone and iPhone has range lmitation (50m or 100m), thus the video on iPhone will not be available if far away from 100m.
While video over TX could be more than 1000m.
Your right, it will have a range limit. Good for indoor practce though. I'm hoping my new vtx works out better with no interference.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,603 Posts
My 100mw vtx showed up today and I was able to do a test flight in my rec room. The reception was very good with one little piece of interference. I also set the failsafe on my rx. I'm using a JR790UL spcm rx and this will let me set failsafes on all channels. My AR6200 was not able to do this. I have a 2.4 module and the tx is set to ppm, which won't work on my JR9303 tx. All the sticks are set to the middle and landing mode selected for my failsafe positions. I did not try it in my rec room, set failsafe after my flight. I'll try at indoor flying, want someone there to grab it in case something goes wrong.

Mheeli, you can add my JR rx (72mhz) to the list of rx's that work.
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Nov 30, 2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 09:35 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
My 100mw vtx showed up today and I was able to do a test flight in my rec room. The reception was very good with one little piece of interference. I also set the failsafe on my rx. I'm using a JR790UL spcm rx and this will let me set failsafes on all channels. My AR6200 was not able to do this. I have a 2.4 module and the tx is set to ppm, which won't work on my JR9303 tx. All the sticks are set to the middle and landing mode selected for my failsafe positions. I did not try it in my rec room, set failsafe after my flight. I'll try at indoor flying, want someone there to grab it in case something goes wrong.

Mheeli, you can add my JR rx (72mhz) to the list of rx's that work.
Added, many thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 03:04 AM
Joined Apr 2008
6 Posts
Quote:
I did a "Hello World" app on AR.Drone.
Thanks for the quick response. I actually did more or less the same thing, only using the Linux version of the CodeSourcery toolchain. I just tried compiling the same code using the Windows version, and now it works...

Thanks again!
dmobius is offline Find More Posts by dmobius
Old Dec 01, 2010, 06:38 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
It is sweet. I odered my YJ last night. Cant wait to get it.
Any updates on your YJ Tony? I ordered mine with fedex priority on a Sunday and had it Tuesday. It was only $15 more then a ground parcel.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 09:39 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,107 Posts
Quote:
Any updates on your YJ Tony? I ordered mine with fedex priority on a Sunday and had it Tuesday. It was only $15 more then a ground parcel.
I seen that but then shipping would have been $22 and that is almost 50% of the actual product cost. Mine is going ground from CA to NY so I wont have it till next week.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:36 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Got one ordered last Sunday also. Received confirmation that it will arrive here on Tuesday Dec. 7 . Looking forward to playing!!

mcrotor

Quote:
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Dec 05, 2010, 04:44 AM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a pc version of freeflight?

marty

Quote:
Just a quick note. Since Parrot released the SDK for PC. Many people are now coming out with a PC version of the Ar.Freeflight.

Now you longer need an iDevice (iPhone/iPod/iPad) to configure your Ar.Drone. Just a PC

So $299 + ($55 for the yellow jacket) for an extreamly ARTF quoadcopter with video and position hold, one battery and a charger, does not sound to bad to me
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Dec 05, 2010, 05:46 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrotor View Post
Does anyone have a link to a pc version of freeflight?

marty
Try here