Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:43 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Mheeli. I tried to use a 72mhz(SPCM) receiver with the drone and it didn't work. I hooked it up to my laptop and tried the monotor screen and I had nothing showing. I hooked my 2.4 rx back up and still am not getting anything in the monitor screen. Any ideas what I can do to check if YJ is ok?

Brian.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2010, 05:04 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Mheeli. I tried to use a 72mhz(SPCM) receiver with the drone and it didn't work. I hooked it up to my laptop and tried the monotor screen and I had nothing showing. I hooked my 2.4 rx back up and still am not getting anything in the monitor screen. Any ideas what I can do to check if YJ is ok?

Brian.
You need to enable PRINT_DEBUG. In step 9, just change the values back to 1
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:05 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
You need to enable PRINT_DEBUG. In step 9, just change the values back to 1
That did the trick. The YJ didn't work with the hitec rx. It has channels 1-4 and ch6, no channel 5. Would that make a difference? I did hook up a JR spcm rx and it worked fine. I put a 5v camera and a 5v 10mw vtx on the hull. All I do is put the hull on, after the drone powers up, and plug in the power. RTF weight of 495g's. I did have some interference, cheap vtx, but it did clear up when facing me. It may be multi pathing in the room I was in, small area. I'll add a ferrite ring on the lines to my vtx, may help. I'll do a better test flight next week at indoor flying.

Cheers, Brian.

RC AR Drone FPV Test Flight (1 min 34 sec)
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Nov 27, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
That did the trick. The YJ didn't work with the hitec rx. It has channels 1-4 and ch6, no channel 5. Would that make a difference? I did hook up a JR spcm rx and it worked fine. I put a 5v camera and a 5v 10mw vtx on the hull. All I do is put the hull on, after the drone powers up, and plug in the power. RTF weight of 495g's. I did have some interference, cheap vtx, but it did clear up when facing me. It may be multi pathing in the room I was in, small area. I'll add a ferrite ring on the lines to my vtx, may help. I'll do a better test flight next week at indoor flying.

Cheers, Brian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h--sHNtl-x4
Does the camera has any onboard stabilisation? The video looks very stable.

As for the Rx, it's not the channel arrangement , but the order of signal output. Please have a look at this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171547 If you can find your Rx there, may be I can add your Rx compatibility to the Sketch.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Hey guys great work with the AR Drone Modding.

The Ipod is kinda cool to control the AR Drone but its really a pain in butt when you really want to control and fly it outside. My 1st Gen Ipod never worked right and would just crash the program on the Ipod and land the drone all the time.

I've already crashed it enough to crack the Central Cross and burn out the main board but I'll get it fixed up and I'm looking forward to adding the YellowJacket board and controlling this thing from a regular radio. It makes jumping into a quad alittle cheaper for the beginner.

The cool thing about the AR drone and what I think makes this mod so nice is that you maintain the super accurate hovering from the bottom camera, which is something I have not seen any other quad able to do so cheaply. You can still fly it in the house with out it floating all over the place when you let go of the controls.

Anyways it looks like fun and I'm looking forward to trying this out. I have 2 2200mah Zippy Batteries that I have not been able to use on the drone yet.

Later...................
Powerenz is offline Find More Posts by Powerenz
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:31 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerenz View Post
Hey guys great work with the AR Drone Modding.

The Ipod is kinda cool to control the AR Drone but its really a pain in butt when you really want to control and fly it outside. My 1st Gen Ipod never worked right and would just crash the program on the Ipod and land the drone all the time.

I've already crashed it enough to crack the Central Cross and burn out the main board but I'll get it fixed up and I'm looking forward to adding the YellowJacket board and controlling this thing from a regular radio. It makes jumping into a quad alittle cheaper for the beginner.

The cool thing about the AR drone and what I think makes this mod so nice is that you maintain the super accurate hovering from the bottom camera, which is something I have not seen any other quad able to do so cheaply. You can still fly it in the house with out it floating all over the place when you let go of the controls.

Anyways it looks like fun and I'm looking forward to trying this out. I have 2 2200mah Zippy Batteries that I have not been able to use on the drone yet.

Later...................
Another cool feature to this mod is that you do not make a physical change to the drone at all. It still is controlled through wifi, but it's always with the drone and the range is limited to your eyesight I'm going to max out my iPhone settings and save them to the drone. Then I will setup 3 different flight modes, indoor, outdoor and crazy!!

Mheeli, no stabillization on the camera. Your sketch has worked out very well I didn't see the hitec rx on the list. No matter, the JR rx is a better rx anyways.

Brian.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:40 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
cool stuff , keep the good work
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Mheeli.
I had a closer look at the config file and see the dead zone values. The throttle is set at 40. Is that 40 out of 1000? I'd like to change it and would like to get a newer value the first time without trying this and then that. It would give me a better idea what value I'll try.

What will the drone do if I loose rc signal to the YJ? I'd like to try a test by turning off my tx.

Brian.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:27 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Here I go again. I've been thinking about the cameras on the Drone. Do you think it's possible to tap into the video from the Drone? I could send it to a vtx and back to the googles. I'm sure the YJ has room for another lead, to another switch on my rc tx. I could use the switch to toggle between front and down camera. Do you think this could be done?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
Joined Apr 2008
6 Posts
Running code on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
I've written a program that's running inside my other Ar.Drone. The program reads commands from /dev/ttyPA0 and then send UDP AT* commands to the local host of the drone.
This sounds very promising! Can you please explain a bit more how you managed to compile and run your program on the drone? I've been experimenting with the CodeSourcery stuff that Parrot links to on their website, but am only getting 'segfaults' when running code on my drone
dmobius is offline Find More Posts by dmobius
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:26 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Another cool feature to this mod is that you do not make a physical change to the drone at all. It still is controlled through wifi, but it's always with the drone and the range is limited to your eyesight I'm going to max out my iPhone settings and save them to the drone. Then I will setup 3 different flight modes, indoor, outdoor and crazy!!

Mheeli, no stabillization on the camera. Your sketch has worked out very well I didn't see the hitec rx on the list. No matter, the JR rx is a better rx anyways.

Brian.
So you can set the flight settings via the Ipod/Ipad as usual and save them to the drone. Are you saying that you can change those settings on the drone via the Regular TX remote by flipping a switch? Or will you have to use the Ipad or Ipod to change the settings every time then take over with the sticks?

Either way its fine.

The distance sucks with the Ipod.

Keep the documented testing going on..........
Powerenz is offline Find More Posts by Powerenz
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerenz View Post
So you can set the flight settings via the Ipod/Ipad as usual and save them to the drone. Are you saying that you can change those settings on the drone via the Regular TX remote by flipping a switch? Or will you have to use the Ipad or Ipod to change the settings every time then take over with the sticks?

Either way its fine.

The distance sucks with the Ipod.

Keep the documented testing going on..........
What I will do is max out the settings using my iphone, hit OK. It will save them to the Drone. On my tx, I set it up with 3 different flight modes, using a 3 position switch. I can then set up lower rates and expo on each switch position. It doesn't change the drone settings. The YJ just receives the signals from my rx, which are reduced because of lower rates programmed into my rc tx. That way I can easily adjust my rc tx settings instead of hooking up to my phone each time to adjust.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:11 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Mheeli.
I had a closer look at the config file and see the dead zone values. The throttle is set at 40. Is that 40 out of 1000? I'd like to change it and would like to get a newer value the first time without trying this and then that. It would give me a better idea what value I'll try.

0 is min, 400 is max. @400 the deadzone is the full travel of your stick.

Quote:

What will the drone do if I loose rc signal to the YJ? I'd like to try a test by turning off my tx.
That depends on the failsafe settings during the binding process, like the normal RC.

So if you have sticks in mid position and the land switch is low, then your drone will automatically land if it loose radio signal.

Re-bind your rx with all sticks in mid postion and landing switch to low. Hover over a mattress then switch off the Tx. This should give you a peace of mind
Last edited by Mheeli; Nov 28, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:18 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Here I go again. I've been thinking about the cameras on the Drone. Do you think it's possible to tap into the video from the Drone? I could send it to a vtx and back to the googles. I'm sure the YJ has room for another lead, to another switch on my rc tx. I could use the switch to toggle between front and down camera. Do you think this could be done?
Sorry Brian, that's beyond my skill at this time.

Technically, I think.

The camera output is not the normal Composite Video signal that we are customed to. The readings from the CMOS/CCD sensors are processed within the Ar.Drone to turn into video image.

It would just be easier to replace the camera with a normal Composite output camera and transmit to your goggles. But then you'll loose the "Cool" video feature on your iPhone.

Time to get a 2nd drone, me think.....
Last edited by Mheeli; Nov 28, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:20 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmobius View Post
This sounds very promising! Can you please explain a bit more how you managed to compile and run your program on the drone? I've been experimenting with the CodeSourcery stuff that Parrot links to on their website, but am only getting 'segfaults' when running code on my drone
Have you try a simple "Hello world" source?