HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:06 AM
Joined Mar 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
Here's V2.11

I have changed the way the radio signals are read, so YJ should now be sending commands to the Drone fast enough to avoid watchdog time out.

I've done 7 successful flights. So if you still require video downlink and do not have iDevice to configure. Try this V2.11

I will also be using V2.11 from now on to make sure I also discover the bug myself
I lost roll/pitch response when using 2.0, do you think this bug is in that version too?
k3nv is offline Find More Posts by k3nv
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:52 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nv View Post
I lost roll/pitch response when using 2.0, do you think this bug is in that version too?
Could be the same. Will need to fly more with v2.11 to really conclude.
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:13 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
Could be the same. Will need to fly more with v2.11 to really conclude.
Been playing with the new sketch 2.11 today seems to work just fine although I did not have any issues with the 2.1 version. Just wanted to play.

Wanted to try the video downlink while RC flying. Not to much luck so far. I am using the latest version of free flight and every time I open the app up it automatically updates the drone firmware which wipes out the changes I had made so that the YJ can talk to the drone. Also I did not see an unpair type toggle in the app either.

So next I will try the Flight record app(it does have an unpair toggle) and see how that works.

My Headplay glasses connect to my Itouch 4g device and show the front camera view so I should be able to FPV (at least with in wifi range) if I can get the Flight Record app to work.

I will update when I give it a try.
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:25 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
mheeli.

What drone firmware verz. should be running?
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:36 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Just tried to get video downlink with the FlightRecord app and no luck. Guess I will have to go with an external 900mhz video tx. Time to go shopping!!!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:44 PM
Joined Mar 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrotor View Post
Just tried to get video downlink with the FlightRecord app and no luck. Guess I will have to go with an external 900mhz video tx. Time to go shopping!!!
You're better off with your own onboard video anyways. I notice with I record with Flight record, it skips frames and also the video doesn't sync up well with my head mounted camera's footage.

Here's some more footage from my keychain cam and ContourHD cam.

Parrot AR.Drone at the park flight 1 (4 min 41 sec)

Parrot AR.Drone at the park flight 2 with crash (5 min 27 sec)
k3nv is offline Find More Posts by k3nv
Last edited by k3nv; Dec 31, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
I tried using v2.1.1 but only works in serial monitor mode. Can not start ardrone. Moving back to v2.0
HoverGracefully is offline Find More Posts by HoverGracefully
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:52 AM
Germering, S-Germany
Joined Nov 2010
21 Posts
YJ does´nt connect drone

since the problem with v2.1 and missing control on roll and pitch
i used v 2.1.1 and finally v 2.0 to fly the drone but neither software
starts the drone.

After power on the drone and YJ all the led´s change to green. The green wifi light comes on after short time. But on switching the rx to takeoff -- nothing happens.
Restart, unpair on the drone, several power restarts no effect.

Tests with RX and the serial monitor of arduino are as expected, e.g. communication between rx tx an the software on YJ is ok.
A ping from notebook to the YJ on the drone was ok, e.g. wifi works.
I checked the mod we made in the drone software -- still there and freeflight
has´nt changed it back to original.

The drone itself is ok and useable with my iPOD.
Now i´m at the end with my latinum but i had 2 1/2 nice flights days ago, hi.

Olaf
vistauser is offline Find More Posts by vistauser
Old Jan 01, 2011, 04:27 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverGracefully View Post
I tried using v2.1.1 but only works in serial monitor mode. Can not start ardrone. Moving back to v2.0
Make sure that you uncomment the wifi line in the config file or the YJ will not communicate with the drone.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
19 Posts
Enable_wifi was uncommented for v2.1.1. I am using v2.1 again. It seems that the mini tamiya connectors were sometimes not make a good solid connection. Change to Dean (red type) connectors. I will eventually change all my connections to the red type. So far no incidents.
HoverGracefully is offline Find More Posts by HoverGracefully
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:26 AM
Joined Oct 2010
11 Posts
'' I have a question ipod touch gen2 and gan3 control ar.drone it delay same iphon2g?
beernajass is offline Find More Posts by beernajass
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:08 AM
USA, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Nov 2010
29 Posts
BEC wiring

Hi Mheeli,

I've been following your work on this project, great job!! I have ordered the parts to modify my drone and I have a question:

In your photos it appears that you are only tapping one cell of the battery to run the BEC and the YJ along with the reciever. This is only 3.7v +/-. Is this causing any problems as opposed to using the full 11.1v and stepping down to 5v?

Thanks,

Lloyd
lwright292 is offline Find More Posts by lwright292
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:22 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright292 View Post

In your photos it appears that you are only tapping one cell of the battery to run the BEC and the YJ along with the reciever. This is only 3.7v +/-. Is this causing any problems as opposed to using the full 11.1v and stepping down to 5v?
If you tap off the Black and Red wires you get full battery voltage.

deano
deano_ is offline Find More Posts by deano_
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:38 AM
USA, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Nov 2010
29 Posts
Ok, thanks.
lwright292 is offline Find More Posts by lwright292
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:33 AM
Iowa USA
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beernajass View Post
'' I have a question ipod touch gen2 and gan3 control ar.drone it delay same iphon2g?
Probably, I have a Gen 4 iPod Touch and an iPad. They both show some delay. The iPad may show a twitch less. I expect that 2nd and 3rd gen touches will show similar or greater delay than an iPhone 2G. The iPhones always seem to be a little bit ahead of the Touches but I could be wrong.

Even the best digital systems show some lag due to A-D conversion and transmission overhead. Parrot does a fairly good job considering the CPU resources and Wi-Fi bandwidth. Your performance will also be influenced by sources of 2.4GHz interference that will reduce the number of successful packets transmitted.
voxelman is offline Find More Posts by voxelman