HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:50 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
It will lift a gopro. Here is a video my Drone, indoor hull, gopro with live feed out to a vtx and a 2s 350mah battery. I was using the tilt method, which I never liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhOy...eature=related
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I don't want to hijack this thread, I'm wondering how many others who are interested in controlling the ARDrone like an RC are also interested in flying camera's like the GoPro? I'd be glad to start a different thread, I just don't want to be the only one there

Where you flying this with a tx or iPhone? How well does it perform with the GoPro? Would it be unrealistic to hover at an altitude up to 100 feet with the conversion you guys have been discussing?

Thanks again.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:35 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
I'd love to do some out doors testing but the weather has not been very cooperative(snow, windy, bitter cold).

So far just one flight around the basement and time to recharge.
I only have one battery pack so far. Will have to work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Thats great Marty. You won't go back to your i device, except to make a setting change. Are you able to try an outdoor range check? Lots of snow here now, won't be able to check my range until spring
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:58 PM
Iowa USA
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck View Post
Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I don't want to hijack this thread, I'm wondering how many others who are interested in controlling the ARDrone like an RC are also interested in flying camera's like the GoPro? I'd be glad to start a different thread, I just don't want to be the only one there

Where you flying this with a tx or iPhone? How well does it perform with the GoPro? Would it be unrealistic to hover at an altitude up to 100 feet with the conversion you guys have been discussing?

Thanks again.
Here is another thread you may find interesting.

The "ORIGINAL" Parrot AR. Drone owners thread
voxelman is offline Find More Posts by voxelman
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:08 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
Wow ,that's quick. Video and pictures please . Would you mind sharing your details?

Rx model, Ar.Drone firmware version. And what you use to supply the power to your Rx. Thanks.
I'll will have to work on pics and video.

I am using a Spektrum DX8 transmitter with an AR500 receiver that I pulled out of my parkzone Stinson Reliant plane.

To power the RX and YJ is a Castle creations 10amp peak BEC, output 5.1V

I did have to reverse several channels during the radio set up and adjust most all of the channel parmeters 10xx ect. Once done the stick actions all verified out as did the drone hover and flying status.

After telneting the drone as per your instructions I fired up my itouch G4 to adjust the settings in ARfreeflight. When I did it asked if I wanted to update my drone to the latest firmware version so I did. Once done I had to redo the telnet process and after that I was launching and flying.

I still need to do more flying (sucks to have only one battery) to fine tune things and build some confidence with this setup before I get it outside, but as of right now I am very, very pleased.

Your instructions were very good Mheeli.

Thank you for sharing all your hard work.

Marty
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:32 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Version 2.1 with video downlink support uploaded to the first post. See [09Dec10] update.

As mentioned in post, there's no performance improvement over the V2.0 sketch. Only download the new sketch if you want the video downlink support.

Hopefully there are not too much bugs in this version

I am unable to test with a PC version of Freeflight as I'm still on windows XP.

If any of you have Vista or Windows 7. Can you download this PC drone control and test whether the video downlink also on PC. Thanks

Here's the direct download link
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:06 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
AR Drone Hero pics

Some pictures of my drone after YJ conversion and GoPro Hero added.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
Just bought a Drone from the BSTs; looking forward to getting it next week. Soon enough Ill have to get the YJ and a BEC for the YJ battery.

Does that list sound right? Again, I'm brand spanking new so I don't have any RC equip (RX/TX eventually).
skantz is offline Find More Posts by skantz
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:21 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrotor View Post
Some pictures of my drone after YJ conversion and GoPro Hero added.
Good idea on the GoPro mount. This should keep the CG lower into the Drone.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:48 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Arduino Nano

edit
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Last edited by Aerhead; Dec 09, 2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:30 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerhead View Post
Mheeli

I'm very interested in conversion. Can the Arduino Nano be used in this conversion. It is for sale on ebay in the USA for $34.

Larry
We need an Arduino with WiFi capability. The Nano has not. The Yellow Jacket is the cheapest one I could find.

However, I'm working on making an Arduino mini to work with the Ar.Drone. The progress is slow. See this post.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:37 PM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skantz View Post
Just bought a Drone from the BSTs; looking forward to getting it next week. Soon enough Ill have to get the YJ and a BEC for the YJ battery.

Does that list sound right? Again, I'm brand spanking new so I don't have any RC equip (RX/TX eventually).
If you are not already into RC , this mod might not be worth it.

You might fly better with an iDevice. Not like us old folks, we are used to the Sticks !!!
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:04 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Converting to larger motors

Mheeli

Thank you for reply. I noticed that wifi was needed just before you replied. Are you still going to try larger motors for the AR Drone. Would you be able to change PID settings to fine tune the flight controller for different motors?
Do you know how the AR Drone motors are controlled PWM, i2c or serial? I just bought an AR Drone off of ebay and I will convert it to RC. I would not have been interested in it without your conversion.

Thank you
Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:13 PM
New Berlin, WI
Joined Oct 2006
176 Posts
GoPro drone video

Here is a quick video from my GoPro hero equiped AR Drone. Control via. Spektuum DX8 tx and AR500 rx.

Not much room to fly in the basement but it was my only option as it is way to cold and snowy to fly outside.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bu0ZOEu2oHo
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:13 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,796 Posts
Wouldn't mounting the GoPro below the drone lower the CG and make it more stable than mounting it on the top?
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:12 PM
Iowa USA
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
If you are not already into RC , this mod might not be worth it.

You might fly better with an iDevice. Not like us old folks, we are used to the Sticks !!!
I'm in the same boat as skantz but I find this remark rather odd unless it was just meant as humor. I thought that the first goal of the RC conversion was to increase range. This is its main appeal to me. Isn't the control mechanism essentially the same as the iDevices just using the RC transmitter joysticks and switches to send commands to the drone via the RC receiver and YJ? I realize that it is different than tilting the iDevice but it seems like it would be more precise also.

OBTW I'm 60 and not yet thinking of myself as an "old folk".
voxelman is offline Find More Posts by voxelman