Originally Posted by Mheeli View Post
mcrotor is offline Find More Posts by mcrotor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:29 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
I ordered sunday too.

Tons of people on this mod soon That is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrotor View Post
Got one ordered last Sunday also. Received confirmation that it will arrive here on Tuesday Dec. 7 . Looking forward to playing!!

mcrotor

dang you. Mine shows Dec. 8.......the curse of living in Florida !!!!!!
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Dec 06, 2010, 02:47 PM
Joined Dec 2010
14 Posts
New to the forum and been heavily considering purchasing an AR drone but was hesitant with the wifi range limits. I've been reading up on 3g and such but again priority limits with voice vs. data would make that unreasonable.

This thread is steering me to buy my AR, a YJ and an RX/TX setup as I am brand spanking new to the RC realm.

Any thoughts as to which RX/TX I should buy for this project? I'm comfortable with coding and soldering as part of my comp sci background but the radio tx stuff still scares me a bit.

Another question? As far as the video feed with the new sketch coming down to the iDevice, is the video also coming down to the PC side application that's been released for control? If so, why not just create a PC/briefcase basestation with video and control and pipe the video to a FPV headset from the pc.

-Skantz
skantz is offline Find More Posts by skantz
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:14 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skantz View Post
New to the forum and been heavily considering purchasing an AR drone but was hesitant with the wifi range limits. I've been reading up on 3g and such but again priority limits with voice vs. data would make that unreasonable.

This thread is steering me to buy my AR, a YJ and an RX/TX setup as I am brand spanking new to the RC realm.

Any thoughts as to which RX/TX I should buy for this project? I'm comfortable with coding and soldering as part of my comp sci background but the radio tx stuff still scares me a bit.

Another question? As far as the video feed with the new sketch coming down to the iDevice, is the video also coming down to the PC side application that's been released for control? If so, why not just create a PC/briefcase basestation with video and control and pipe the video to a FPV headset from the pc.

-Skantz
Welcome Skantz. You sure picked a nice place to start your RC experience. The Drone is very stable and would be a good start. Be warned, you may get sucked into RC and not turn back. As for a tx/rx, a 2.4 ghz system would be the place to start. 72mhz will also work. You can buy new/used, 4-9 channels(you need 5) and so on, lots of different options. If you have a friend thats into RC, see if you can check out some of his gear and ask some questions. If you buy new, you can save some $$ with a tx/rx combo, no servos/flight battery pack.

Mheeli can answer about pc video and flying the drone with an rc tx. Not sure if he tested his new sketch with the pc app.

Any word on the new sketch Mheeli?
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:15 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
this mod is new for everyone.

A spectrum radio is what I will be trying it with .

I have a feeling a 35mhz radio would be better.

This item should get you off the groud at the cheapest price. meh. please correct me if I am wrong. I can not thank you for all your hard work in this project.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15140
Last edited by witespy; Dec 06, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 03:25 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistauser View Post
Hello Mheeli,
I found your wonderful instruction to modify the AR.Drone to RC and also ordered
the YJ last night. But I have to wait for some weeks for delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
this mod is new for everyone.

A spectrum radio is what I will be trying it with .

I have a feeling a 35mhz radio radio would be better.

This item should get you off the group at the cheapest price. meh. please correct me if I am wrong. I can not thank you for all your hard work in this project.

Thats one inexpensive 2.4 radio. Any idea on its performance?

Thats one inexpensive 2.4 radio. Any idea on its performance?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15140
vistauser lives in Germany and I think 35mhz is standard. When he gets his YJ perhaps he can test this frequency.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:01 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
vistauser lives in Germany and I think 35mhz is standard. When he gets his YJ perhaps he can test this frequency.

sure thing.

All I know from my FPV "hard learned lessons" is that 2.4 radio + 2.4 video = crash

and I know the ar.drone is 2.4.

but normally video tx's are rated over 500 watts, we are not playing with such a high output . not sure if that is going to help in our case.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:26 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
I'm hoping 2.4 will work out for video. I did an indoor test with a new 100mw vtx, which worked out much better. I have it mounted on the tail, away from everything. Separation is your friend for FPV.

Mheeli. You said the YJ uses 2M for wifi. Can you add any info on this subject, in laymans terms. I'm willing to learn something
Old Dec 06, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
I just did a failsafe test with my 72mhz pcm rx. I set the failsafes for all 5 channels, sticks centred and landing switch to land. I brought it up into a hover and shut off my tx. The Drone landed and shut off. I selected the landing switch to land and turned on my tx. The drone took off again when I selected to take-off. I'm glad this worked out. I would hate to have to unpower everything and start again.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 08:56 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
I'm hoping 2.4 will work out for video. I did an indoor test with a new 100mw vtx, which worked out much better. I have it mounted on the tail, away from everything. Separation is your friend for FPV.

Mheeli. You said the YJ uses 2M for wifi. Can you add any info on this subject, in laymans terms. I'm willing to learn something
wow. 2.4 on the radio. 2.4 on the video. and 2.4 from the AR. drone.

living life on the edge.
Old Dec 06, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
wow. 2.4 on the radio. 2.4 on the video. and 2.4 from the AR. drone.

living life on the edge.
I'm using 72mhz for control.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:47 AM
Germering, S-Germany
Joined Nov 2010
21 Posts
Hello Brian,
just received a message from RobotShop in France that my YJ has been shipped today.
Hopefully I can start with the modification on my AR.Drone this week.
Will report any results.

The availabel TX here ist a 2.4 Mhz Spektrum DX7 which I use with a MK and a Blade MCX. Lets see if there are interferences together with the drone.
Olaf
vistauser is offline Find More Posts by vistauser
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:59 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:

The 2M is just the speed the wifi chip is capable of. The AR.Drone can transmit at 11 Mbps. YJ can only transmit at 2Mbps. A lot slower than the Ar.drone. But fast enough to send control commands to the drone.

This speed is the same thing when you select your Internet Broadband package.
Mheeli is offline Find More Posts by Mheeli
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:02 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
I just did a failsafe test with my 72mhz pcm rx. I set the failsafes for all 5 channels, sticks centred and landing switch to land. I brought it up into a hover and shut off my tx. The Drone landed and shut off. I selected the landing switch to land and turned on my tx. The drone took off again when I selected to take-off. I'm glad this worked out. I would hate to have to unpower everything and start again.
How cool is that? The Ar.Drone guys thought of everything.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:04 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
Joined Jul 2002
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistauser View Post
Hello Brian,
just received a message from RobotShop in France that my YJ has been shipped today.
Hopefully I can start with the modification on my AR.Drone this week.
Will report any results.

The availabel TX here ist a 2.4 Mhz Spektrum DX7 which I use with a MK and a Blade MCX. Lets see if there are interferences together with the drone.
Olaf
I'm also using Spektrum DX7 , works perfect!