HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Help!
FlyZone cessna 182

Hi guys. Im new to the forums and relatively new to rc flying. I bought a FlyZone Cessna 182 back in 2007 and crashed and destroyed it as I learned in the process that that is *NOT* a beginners plane (4 channel futaba controller). I got discouraged and left RC flying. Then, got back into it with a newly found interest 2 months ago.

I recently bought THE CHAMP(HobbyZone Champ RTF Micro RC Airplane by Hobby Zone) which is a little 3-channel trainer which Iíve become fairly good at flying. And so with this re-gained confidence I decided to look for the broken Cessna and fix it up to get additional experience before going to a bigger and more exciting bird. I found the old Cessna still in storage but no controller and no battery charger.

I was able to gather all the materials mostly on ebay to make this bird fly again. I fixed the airframe issues. I was able to replace the 380 motor with a new one from tower hobbies since the old motor shaft was bent in the accident of 2007. I was able to get a tactic TTX 400 72 MHz transmitter with a matching crystal. This is the type of controller that originally came with the plane.

I have been bench testing the plane for the last two days and have come across a strange issue. All the controls work fine except the throttle is acting weird. If I advance the throttle slowly, the propeller starts to spin faster and faster as I advance further. All is ok until about the midway point in the range of the throttle control. From that point onwards, if i advance the throttle any further, the motor stops and then I have to back the throttle all the way back to zero and try again. If I advance the throttle quickly from zero to max then the motor accelerates quickly to max speed but within a second it stops.

I had some spare parts to help me with the diagnosis so I changed the motor back to the old motor, SAME Problem. I change the motor speed control since I had a spare and same issue so now I know its not the 380 motor or the tsc 600 motor speed controller. This narrows the diagnosis down to possibly a bad trx 600 receiver which is still the original from 2007 and all the other channels excepts the throttle work fine. Or maybe a bad battery? I still have the original battery which I just charged after it sat in storage for nearly three years. It is the electrifly 7N-J 8.4 volt 2/3A 1100 mAH NiMH.

Here's where it gets really strange. If I remove the propeller from the motor and try the experiment, the problem disappears. I can advance the throttle all the way to max and do it fast or slow and the motor responds and runs at the corresponding speed i.e. max, min, or anything in between depending on throttle position.

So I thought maybe the problem only shows itself when the motor is under load (i.e. with prop attached) so I tried to grab the shaft of the motor while I had it spinning without the prop to simulate a load on the motor but it kept running like a charm. No matter how much I slowed it down by squeezing my fingers together on the shaft, it kept running just fine.

I was able to confirm that this is what happens using any combination of the spare motor and/or the spare tsc 600 speed control that I have. So, anyone care to take a stab at this? Is it a bad reciever? A bad battery? I googled the heck out of this and was unable to find any example of anyone having a similar issue with this plane.

Thanks for any help guys.
ncc1701e is offline Find More Posts by ncc1701e
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:12 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
I have been bench testing the plane for the last two days and have come across a strange issue. All the controls work fine except the throttle is acting weird. If I advance the throttle slowly, the propeller starts to spin faster and faster as I advance further. All is ok until about the midway point in the range of the throttle control. From that point onwards, if i advance the throttle any further, the motor stops and then I have to back the throttle all the way back to zero and try again. If I advance the throttle quickly from zero to max then the motor accelerates quickly to max speed but within a second it stops.

Classic symptoms of a battery pack which cannot deliver what the motor/prop demands... under load the voltage is dropping below LVC (by the way what voltage is your LVC set on?). Moving the throttle back to zero resets the LVC... but then in your case, advancing the throttle quickly again makes the symptoms return.

A 3yr old NiMh is unlikely to any good now.

Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Thanks for the advice Phil. I will get a new battery..
ncc1701e is offline Find More Posts by ncc1701e