SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:37 AM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
My Guillow´s Aeronca Champ Challanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Hi all ! I finished all the frame components except the wing struts. Weight is 2.4 oz or 68 grams with battery, servos and receiver. I am now sure that with the struts, motor, esc and covering I will be below 5 oz and maybe between 4 and 4.5 oz.

I made an metal elevator joiner to add strenght to the wood between both elevators and rounded the leading edge of all flying surfaces. I didn't bevel the leading edge of the control surfaces yet as I want to make the slots for the hinges first. I will add some sheeting to the hood in front of the cabin and to the firewall as it needs correction beeing a little crooked. Wings are not yet sanded but all else is.

Could anyone give me somme clue about down and right thrust for this plane ? Nothing is stated in the manual or on the plan (or I didn't see it...)

Please feel free to comment on the build and thanks for reading and watching the pics !

Hello everybody! I´m from Brazil and I have found and joint to this wonderfull Electric Flight Forum WattFlyer searching some topics about.
Carguy1994ca, very great job!!!
I did start to mount my Guillow´s Aeronca Champ kit last weak. I will take several picks of my Aeronca construction and comments about it.
My weight balance it´s a "analogic" arm "1gram precision"... but show a aproximate weights! I think! I will take several picks of my Aeronca construction and comments each Aeronca parts, weights, modification,...
Next weak I will post my comment/pictures here about our Guillow´s Aeronca construction and challange.
About the stimated weight of my Guillow´s Aeronca electric conversion it is about 3oz weight, including the model covering w/ all electronic/mecanical components aboard.
Let´s comments as soon!
Goodbye everybody and have a great Happy New Year!!!
Aero2k4
ps.sorry me if my english writting is so bad or confused!!! I have to pratice more and more...
aero2k4 is offline Find More Posts by aero2k4
Last edited by aero2k4; Dec 30, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:50 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,137 Posts
Hey aero2k4

welcome to RCGroups and to this tread. Keep us posted on your progress on the champ.

As for me, I will resume to building my champ this weekend. I had other projects come in the way lately and now I will have 5 days break from the job and hope to finish it. Stay tuned !

Carguy
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Hey aero2k4

welcome to RCGroups and to this tread. Keep us posted on your progress on the champ.

As for me, I will resume to building my champ this weekend. I had other projects come in the way lately and now I will have 5 days break from the job and hope to finish it. Stay tuned !

Carguy

Yeah! Thanks!
Are you finish your electric Aeronca Champ? Great! It´s very necessary us building these little aircrafts as lightest possible, right? Particularly, because of the Guillow's kits are made with hard balsa, not AAA balsa quality.
It´s the first time I am converting a rubber model plane in a electric r/c. At the HomeFly webpage description that Aeronca Champ weights is about 33grams for rubber powered model!!!
My Aeronca model maybe weighs around 40~45grams only model covering without all electronic parts. My electonic/eletromechanical parts are:
-HobbyKing RX-8X (09grams);
-Hextronik 5grams 1400~2000kva 7.4v electric motor w/ mount and GWS 4x2.5 or 5x3 (08grams);
-ESC Turnigy Plush 6A (06grams);
-Lipo 2S pack 240mAh (12grams);
-02 BlueArrow 2.5grams micro servos (05grams);
Total weigh about 40grams.
I will covering my Aeronca with RA Microlite 5microns by Homefly.
I think mine entire Aeronca model will weighs about 90grams(~30oz).
Will mine Hextronik 1400~2000kva 7.4v motor pull ahead? This motor should provides average 10watt of power. Let´s we´ll see!
Carguy1994ca, which electric motor and propeller you will put in your Aeronca?
Did you weighs your electromechanical/electronic parts too?
OK
Aero2k4
PS.I haven´t no Aeronca model parts pictures now... next weak I will post it here.
Last edited by aero2k4; Dec 30, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:29 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,137 Posts
Not finished yet. Target weight is about 4oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:54 PM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Not finished yet. Target weight is about 4oz.
Oh,ok! I saw with more attention your pictures and wieghs!
You have a very lighter RX! Just 3grams?
Mine is 9grams!!! See the picture and description into HK webpage: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11168
I think to remove the plastic body of the HK-8X receiver... maybe I can eliminate 2 or 3grams receiver weight.
carguy1994ca, I saw too your picture about your motor. It´s more powerfull than mine and 3gram more! Great choose!
I will insert the bellow 2000kv 2Amax motor in my Aeronca model: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6312
The tests commented on HK reviews tells it produces: 53gram thrust @ 1.4A/prop 4x2.5
It´s a great challange to put the little Aeronca on the sky!
We need to know how much is the maximum wing load(grams/dm^2) of the Guillow´s Aeronca Champ. Do you know any maximum wing load for it?
At HomeFly descriptions about Guillow´s Aeronca show the weight and wing area: 33g/5.5dm^2 = 6g/dm^2 for rubber powered.
The lower the wing load, the better flight and lower the stall speed. It´s the great challenge, I think.
Last edited by aero2k4; Dec 31, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:11 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Hi aero2k4,

What prop do you plan on using with that motor? Have you already ordered your RX?

It sounds like these 24" Guillow's builds will fly nicely up to 120g-140g. Some have gotten them to fly nicely at much heavier weights, but I think that 80-90g is a good weight to shoot for.

Maybe somebody would be able to comment on the attainability of this goal weight. It may be a bit to conservative; I cannot decide.

-Kody
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:50 AM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
Hi aero2k4,

What prop do you plan on using with that motor? Have you already ordered your RX?

It sounds like these 24" Guillow's builds will fly nicely up to 120g-140g. Some have gotten them to fly nicely at much heavier weights, but I think that 80-90g is a good weight to shoot for.

Maybe somebody would be able to comment on the attainability of this goal weight. It may be a bit to conservative; I cannot decide.

-Kody

Hi Kody
yes, I did order, at 2010 april, my RX with TX at HobbyKing. it´s a HK-7X w/ TX HK-8X; the RX weights 9g.
I have two size of GWS props: 4"x2.5" and 5"x3". The recommended prop size for the Hextronik 1400~2000kv motor is the 4"x2.5" prop.
I did realized a motor running test board with the two props. The 4x2.5 prop runs better with much amperage comsuption than 5x3 prop.
I think the best size prop is a 4.5x3, just cut of a piece of the 5x3 prop.
I was really happy to hear that Guillow´s Aeronca can flight with weights about 120~140g!
Mine should be weights 90~100g. I hope!!!
Are you have mount any Guillow´s rubber aircraft and conveted it to electric flight?
Kody, about Guillow´s Aeronca model... Did you hear anything about the ideal wing load to flight it at electric configuration?
Thanks for the tips and comment!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:06 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
I'd rather not clog your thread with a Utube link. I did the Champ a few years back and it came in at under 3oz if I remember correctly. Search for Guillows Champ and you'll find a video of my noodling around in a parking lot. Even at that light weight flying it in a gym would be a handfull. After an unforunate 72mhz glitch she has been hangin on my wall of shame waiting on a rebuild. This time, I'll strip all the solite covering, use RA Microlite instead and use one of the new FD 2.4 1gr RXs and two HK 1gr linear servos. The D1400 will remain as will the 2s, 100ma pack. Here's the link to my build. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923681 Go back a step to the scale electric forum and look for the sticky near the top from Smokin' Beaver with all the Guillows conversions. There are many much better than mine there.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:34 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,137 Posts
Thanks 56s, I'll try mine first outside then
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:24 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Keep in mind that every gram of weight in the tail needs to be offset by 4 grams in the nose. Build your planes to fly, not to crash. Take a trip out to the local good 'ol boy airport and ask someone to show you a full scale airplane. You'll be shocked at how light they really are. I have a 54" Taylorcraft that weighs 10oz. The only damage I've done to this plane is when I had a mid-air collision with a Canadian goose. Don't ask: Stupid pilot tricks.....
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:41 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Dan,

I never heard about the run-in with the goose!

Konrad would be all over this thread. I wish he'd come back from his vacation. His work is definitely worth looking into for anyone interested in these "gummy band ships", as he would say.
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56S View Post
I'd rather not clog your thread with a Utube link. I did the Champ a few years back and it came in at under 3oz if I remember correctly. Search for Guillows Champ and you'll find a video of my noodling around in a parking lot. Even at that light weight flying it in a gym would be a handfull. After an unforunate 72mhz glitch she has been hangin on my wall of shame waiting on a rebuild. This time, I'll strip all the solite covering, use RA Microlite instead and use one of the new FD 2.4 1gr RXs and two HK 1gr linear servos. The D1400 will remain as will the 2s, 100ma pack. Here's the link to my build. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923681 Go back a step to the scale electric forum and look for the sticky near the top from Smokin' Beaver with all the Guillows conversions. There are many much better than mine there.

I would like to apologize to you all for the delay in returning to the forum! It was fault of the parties and vacation of the new year!
Great!!! Dan, nice to meet you again here in the forum! You gave me some tips about the Guillow´s Aeronca Champ construction. Your Guillows Champ video at YouTube is amazing and so cute! Great job and flight, Dan! I´m seeing now, at link, your new job/rebuild on your Guillow´s Aeronca Champ. I seeing your Champ rebuild did make some modifications and detailed parts (wing tips, ajustable struts,...). Great idea!!!
Dan, thank you to recommend me to use the great RA Microlite from HomeFly! I did receive my order from HomeFly the lightest covering I've ever seen! It´s only 10grams/sq.meters and can be applied with hot iron too!!!
Cheers!
Glauco D. P. Lopes (aero2k4)
Last edited by aero2k4; Jan 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:28 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,137 Posts
That's an enthusiastic post
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Aero2k4 Guillow´s Aeronca Champion Pictures

Dan(56S), Carguy1994ca, Monboy10, PipperCub49, and all forum friends...
I want to post here some pictures about my Guillow´s Aeronca Champ aircraft converted into electric model r/c flight. The pictures show the Aeronca parts, electrical/electronic components and each parts/components weights.
PS. Missing parts: landing gear, tailwheel, engine cow, wing struts and Microlite covering.
I'll be waiting for tips, advice and suggestions!
Cheers!!!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:17 PM
Joined Jun 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
That's an enthusiastic post

Hi, Carguy1994ca!!! How are you?!
Hey, what about your Guillow´s Aeronca Champ? Did you already finished it or make some high flights?!
The building Guillow´s chalenge process it´s the several sanding, sanding, sanding parts and the "best"/adequate choice to put the components parts into Aeronca and adjustment of the CG (center of gravity)
Let´s go ahead!!!
Cheers