Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:09 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Your going to love the Tinybritelights. I have a couple sets, and they are very bright and add hardly any weight. My set weighed 1.3 grams. I fly several of my small scale taildraggers in the complete dark. Its very fun going just by the position lights.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
Scott, yes I have a set on my UM P-51. They work really well and are quite visible. I only tried them static as we didn't began our ondoor season yet and outside it is too cold for those tiny lipo. They just freeze ! Can't wait to try it in the gym.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Nov 12, 2010, 09:32 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
Building the battery hatch

I began on the battery hatch tonight. It is on the underside of the fuselage, under the cabin. I cut the stringers and bottom keel with a small saw I had for cutting rails on miniature train. Had to be carefull not to break the small wood parts but went OK.

I reinforced the sides and added balsa to front and rear of the hatch. I glued those part with the hatch in position so the shape fits the fuselage. I'll add sides to the hatch when the glue is dry.

Got the idea from the hatch here, so thanks are in order to those who had the idea before me
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:12 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
what glue is that!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I began on the battery hatch tonight. It is on the underside of the fuselage, under the cabin. I cut the stringers and bottom keel with a small saw I had for cutting rails on miniature train. Had to be carefull not to break the small wood parts but went OK.

I reinforced the sides and added balsa to front and rear of the hatch. I glued those part with the hatch in position so the shape fits the fuselage. I'll add sides to the hatch when the glue is dry.

Got the idea from the hatch here, so thanks are in order to those who had the idea before me
Hi!
sorry,what glue is that and where do you buy it!?...i want to buy guillows kit sometime in the future and i allways ask my self what glue is good to use!!
nice work,too!!!..best regards!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:56 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
I use thin CA and white glue (canopy glue and weldbond). I am allergic to CA fumes so I use it only on places that need instant attachment.

The canopy glue is more liquid and flows easily. The well bond is nicely thick and dries in about an hour. use it sparingly to save weight. Parts that doesn't lay flat must be pinned or clamped so they stay together while the glue dris. With thin CA, it dries instantly (also on your fingers )
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:31 AM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
Quote:
I use thin CA and white glue (canopy glue and weldbond). I am allergic to CA fumes so I use it only on places that need instant attachment.

The canopy glue is more liquid and flows easily. The well bond is nicely thick and dries in about an hour. use it sparingly to save weight. Parts that doesn't lay flat must be pinned or clamped so they stay together while the glue dris. With thin CA, it dries instantly (also on your fingers )
thanks!
i thout so...yes its true,today i glue wood with CA and i glue my fingers too
so canopy is based on wather...hmm,,,,,i have some tipes of this glue,i buy yesterday one new for me from robbe germany,named PONAL EXPRESSS ..thick and dry in 5 min,is that what they tell me!
best regards!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Nov 13, 2010, 09:04 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Carguy, Make sure your battery tray will extend all the way up to the firewall. I needed to on my conversions to get the ideal CG. Your Champ continues to look great. Have you decided on a color scheme yet?

Scott
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:05 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
The battery tray is not up to the firewall, but I think it will allow to place the battery under the front of fuselage, just behing the firewall if needed.

Colors will be dark green and creme. I am also trying to decide if I will make the wing removable to have acces to the cabin from the top. If not removable, I will put the servos upside down so I can get to them from the battery tray.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Colors will be dark green and creme. I am also trying to decide if I will make the wing removable to have acces to the cabin from the top. If not removable, I will put the servos upside down so I can get to them from the battery tray.
Speaking from the knowledge of others and personal experience, I would strongly advise against making a removable wing. It increases weight, adds complexity, and weakens the wing/cabin section. You really will not need to get into the cabin once you are all done. I have had my 24" Guillow's Cessna crashed and repaired three or four times now and I have never had to mess with the electronics. I put my servos in upright, but it is quite popular to put them in inverted...that's the way that I will do it next time.

Just my two cents,
PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:44 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
Pipercub49

true it will add weight if making removable wing as the cabin top will have to be reinforced. If the wing is fixed, I will place the servos inverted so I can reach the screws. One never knows when a 5 $ servo can break

I will probably make it a fixed one. Thanks for sharing. All advices welcome
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:08 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
Finished the battery hatch. Screwed the servos under the tray so I can get to them after the plane is covered. Then I won't be able to remove the arms, and I want the servos to stay like this so the pushrod are straight to the control surfaces. I will do a small trap on the cabin top to acces the servo arms. Now lets go build the stab and rudder...while you look at the pics of the finished hatch:
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:23 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
Tail planes are now built. I'll let the glue dry tonight and tomorrow will sand them and bevel the control surfaces leading edges. There is also a weak spot on the elevator. I will add some balsa to reinforce it.

Any suggestion as to what to use for hinges ? I tought of blenderm tape, small robart pin hinges (but I think they will be to big), or even string/dental tape. Will see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:54 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Any suggestion as to what to use for hinges ? I tought of blenderm tape, small robart pin hinges (but I think they will be to big), or even string/dental tape. Will see.
I always use CA hinges that I cut down to about 3/32 to 1/8 wide depending on the size model. I cut the tips to a point so there easier to install.

Pic below is one install (slightly crooked)on a plane that does not have the covering on the bottom, and the wood is stained for looks.

UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,012 Posts
thnaks UAVpilot, nicely done !
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:05 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
CA Hinges? You're not talking cyano-acrylate? Please explain!

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor