HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2010, 04:16 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,205 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9X / Spektrum DM9 module and BNF planes....any luck?

I have a Turnigy 9X with a Spektrum DM9 TX module, I can bind into BNF planes but the Turnigy 9x modes only let me choose the throttle channel to be on the RUDDER or AILERON sticks, have anyone hardwire the 9X to change this?

Will the custom firmwares available lets you assign the channels to other sticks?

Any help will be apreciated
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2010, 03:34 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post
I have a Turnigy 9X with a Spektrum DM9 TX module, I can bind into BNF planes but the Turnigy 9x modes only let me choose the throttle channel to be on the RUDDER or AILERON sticks, have anyone hardwire the 9X to change this?

Will the custom firmwares available lets you assign the channels to other sticks?

Absolutely yes. The er9x software lets you assign any stick to any TX channel, so you can reproduce the Spektrum channel sequence.

Here's the custom software thread. Jump in the last dozen or so pages for the good stuff.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162

And to make the reflashing of your 9x's software easier, S_Mack has built an add-on board that connects to your radio with no soldering (or one wire to solder if you don't use his splice for power) and as a bonus also includes an EL backlight panel and driver.

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:25 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post

The problem is that while the 9x uses a JR-type module, it uses the Futaba channel sequence (AETR) rather than Spektrum/JR (TAER). As pointed out by F-111, the custom firmware will fix this.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:57 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,205 Posts
Great, I will keep an eye on the add on board from s_mack.

Thanks guys
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Hey all,
Digging up an old thread here. I'm hoping to be able to use my Turnigy 9x with the parkzone ultra micro planes. I understand that I need to flash the tx with new software and found the link above for the add on board. It's the DM9 module I have questions about. I can't seem to find it on any retail sites, or even price it. I found this cool french thread showing the install :http://www.freedomheli.net/topic2719...-spektrum.html
I've read that the modules might not always be compatible with the 9x. Is this true? I just wanted to double check what specific components I need to buy to make this work.
Cheers,
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
Hey all,
Digging up an old thread here. I'm hoping to be able to use my Turnigy 9x with the parkzone ultra micro planes. I understand that I need to flash the tx with new software and found the link above for the add on board. It's the DM9 module I have questions about. I can't seem to find it on any retail sites, or even price it. I found this cool french thread showing the install :http://www.freedomheli.net/topic2719...-spektrum.html
I've read that the modules might not always be compatible with the 9x. Is this true? I just wanted to double check what specific components I need to buy to make this work.
Cheers,
Rob
JR original module (exclude JR type module made by outside makers such as FrSky, Fly Dream, Corona, etc) is not compatible electrically with Turnigy 9X. Spektrum is made by JR and I believe Spektrum module also is not workable.

Best is to make sure their compatibility before use to avoid any damage.

If you are interested in Parkzone park fliers, it would be better to use the simple transmitter which comes with these micro planes. No need to use advanced, complicated transmitter. Finding a proper TX module to match the receiver installed in the plane is a hassle.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Aug 23, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Hey John,
I would go with the controller included with the micros, but I don't think they can be converted to mode 3. If there were a way to set them up that way, then I would go for it.
Rob
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:29 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
How did you learn Mode 3?

Not too late to change to Mode 2, most widely used mode.

Most radios are not made in Mode 3 or Mode 4 and hard to find such a radio.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
I'm wondering how crd managed to get the module to work, as he stated in the first post.
Rob
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:44 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
I'm wondering how crd managed to get the module to work, as he stated in the first post.
Rob
If he was successful in using Spektrum DM9 module with Turnigy 9X, he served as a guinia pig for you.

Now you can fly Parkzone P&F micro planes wtih Turnigy 9X stick mode 3.

Alas, Spektrum module costs more than 9X transmitter. Koreans have a saying "navel is bigger than a baby".
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:48 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
I'm hoping to find out exact details before I take the plunge. Alternatively, I'd like to know if I could take a mode 1 ultra micro tx and just just swap the ailerons and rudder.

According to the link from the french site, the poster got the module for $45. If you can get it without the rx included it should lower the price.
Last edited by robster94gt; Aug 24, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:28 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
731 Posts
<Marking this post for a friend.>
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:33 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
650 Posts
Quote:
JR original module (exclude JR type module made by outside makers such as FrSky, Fly Dream, Corona, etc) is not compatible electrically with Turnigy 9X. Spektrum is made by JR and I believe Spektrum module also is not workable.

Best is to make sure their compatibility before use to avoid any damage.

I've read multiple reports on the web regarding the compatability of the DM9 with the Turnigy 9x. Some say it isnt, some say it is. Can anyone sort this out definitively?

The firmware incompatability seems to have been pretty much sorted, but the info from John_Kim seems to indicate an electrical incompatability. Can anyone with this setup report on whether hardware mods were needed as well as something like the er9x firmware flash.
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:55 AM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
For a Fact, The DM9 Module is electrically compatible. I've been using one for over a year. I had to convert to the ER9x Firmware to map the channels correctly for my BNF Micros... With my regular RX's I could just move the servo's to the correct location I needed them at without changing the Firmware. You will either need to buy the Smartieparts No solder programming board or a cheap programming board and do some solder work in the TX to change the firmware. I fully recommend the ER9x Firmware though...
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:58 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
650 Posts
Thanks Mike,

Firmware upgrade and Smartiepants board were going to happen regardless Thanks for some first-hand info on the compatability between DM9 and the 9X. Much appreciated.

-Mat-
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy