HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2010, 01:23 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Discussion
ROV Eyeball

It is nice to see this new forum on ROV's. It should be a great place to share ideas and technologies. I will attempt to provide some threads that encourage new ideas and keep the ROV technology spirit alive!

The following pictures provide an overview of an underwater ROV Eyeball that I created several yers ago. I posted this on the RC forms about 2 years ago and thus the original site was removed due to age. The ROV Eyeball used two 420 line Sony board cameras facing fwd and aft in two precision glass optical dome ports. Propulsion is by two small waterproof electric motors with magnetic couplings so there are no o-ring seals. The cable to the surface provides the video signal(s) in addition to the RC control signals. While the RC frequencies will not transmit through water at any great distance, you can send them along a single wire for very long underwater distances. It has been a great tool to explore the bottom on the lake that I live on....and maybe to find some of those sunken RC electric boats I lost!

The technology has come a long way in the years that I developed this. As just one example, the video cameras are beding replaced with the latest generation SONY Effio-P 680 line color board cameras. These are the current state-of-the-art from SONY using their new 1/3" Super HAD II high sensitivity WD CCDS. This new camera is well suited for underwater low-light environments with a o.o1 lux color mode, 0,003 Lux night mode and a 0.0003 Lux mode with the DDS (digital slow shutter). I hope to be posting more on these cameras and other technologies in future threads.
questtek is offline Find More Posts by questtek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 02:48 PM
R.O.V. Man
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2006
351 Posts
Hi
This looks like something I saw some time ago.
I also have used the radio control method.

Regards Antony(UK)
hargard is offline Find More Posts by hargard
Old Nov 07, 2010, 03:25 PM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
hi questtek
Yes i remember seeing these pictures but i never heard any details about it, do you have any video of it in action? looks very cool

Rob
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
Old Nov 07, 2010, 04:01 PM
Professor Joe Valencic
Lake Forest, Ca.
Joined Oct 2006
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robe_uk View Post
hi questtek
Yes i remember seeing these pictures but i never heard any details about it, do you have any video of it in action? looks very cool

Rob
Yes, Posted with the same pics long ago but now with the new Forum thought I would re-introduce it. Since it is used a live action observation platform only I do not record the video from it. However, I now have an 8" HD LCD monitor monitor with a built in recorder (micro SD card) and I will try to get some recorded video the next time I use it.
questtek is offline Find More Posts by questtek
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
info?

Can you tell us a little about the build? Materials, parts, etc.

I am particularly interested in the thrusters, I am starting to think about building an ROV and thruster design seems the most challenging to me.
figgyb is offline Find More Posts by figgyb
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
652 Posts
Can you post plans of your eyeball rov PLEASE
soulreaper is offline Find More Posts by soulreaper
Old Jul 07, 2011, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
thrusters?

Hi questtek,

Just wondered where you got the thrusters from? or if you built them yourself what the specs are. Im really interested in magnetically coupled thrusters you see.

Thanks alot
rovbo is offline Find More Posts by rovbo
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:58 AM
Joined Oct 2008
90 Posts
Any chane of seeing some higher res pictures of it?
andyn22 is offline Find More Posts by andyn22