SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2010, 11:52 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
Mini-Review
exceed 1/8 crawler

ok so after reading and seeing the prices i could not resist .
so to start the price is 194.00 with free shipping and 10% code it came to 175.00 and change @ nitrorcx.com.

ok first impressions out of the box .

with no tuning it performs as well as my other 1/8 scale modded crawler with the stick chassis with one fourth of the cost .

come with 2.4g radio 2 ch 2000 mah nimh pack
low mounting battery esc reciver for low cg
esc has drag brake ( verry strong )
not sure on gearing but super low
17mm hubs
has axel brace/ rock guard to help prevent the dreaded axel brake .
moa design .
stock motors seem to have plenty of power unless comp crawling i see no need to up grade them .
nice green anodizing
many alloy parts found on higher end crawlers .

now most say these are copied from other crawlers and yes they are but so is most every thing else in this day and age not that its right but something we all have to live with . and with the trying economy trucks like these may just keep people in the hobby as for my self going from 75 + g a year to now 25 due to loss in growth of housing has hit me hard and if i can save a few bucks i will . i have added pics and will take vid tonight and post a link to it .

final thoughts .

to any one on a budget looking to get into super class crawling you cant go wrong it has many nice features found in higher end models at a budget price . parts are available @ nitrorcx.com
as far as axels they can be upgraded with axels from rc4wd or most any 1/8 crawler with a little modding .

so enjoy crawling to all the guys here keep up the good work times will get better .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:27 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Is four wheel steering possible with an extra servo and tie rod components or will it need some modification?
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:33 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
add another servo plate can be found @ integy.com and move the tie rod end to the other side and wah lah rear wheel steer . you can use the one it has or you can get the steering links most any where crawler parts are found just measure the front and repete it .
Old Nov 08, 2010, 07:10 AM
Más tequila por favor
Texas, Arlington
Joined Jul 2005
317 Posts
Nice looking truck you got. How does it perform compared to your more expensive crawlers? I have seen a few videos of it but no videos of any hard core crawling. I have a modded AX-10 that does great. I am thinking about getting an Excced 8 for the bigger rocks the AX-10 cant crawl. How long does that 2000mah battery run those two 550 motors? Thanks.
El Capitán is offline Find More Posts by El Capitán
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:01 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Thanks for the info, rcphreak!
I haven't yet pulled the trigger on a crawler, but I've got a giant money pit of a real one complete with hydraulic 4 wheel steering and it definitely makes a difference.

I was also reading it has a 3 gear transmission.
Are they all crawling gears, or does it have a high speed gear and enough power to pull it as well?
Was thinking about using paddles when I'm not around any good rocks to climb:

Axial RC 4 Wheel Paddles in Glamis (2 min 31 sec)

Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:04 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
@ west texas it does have crawling gears in it its maby walking speed @ most they do have other gears though i belive its a set you can get from nitrorcx but not sure if they are higher or lower yet . and by three gear they mean three in the tranny not three selectable ratios .

@ el capitan it will crawl as well as my modded crawler once i get some weight in it and run time is around 15-20 min depending on how hard your crawl is i like the drag brake its strong so it does not roll back at all . i wish i would have taken the plunge before building the stick as it performs as well and looks a heck of alot better . and costs 1/4 of what i had into the other one .
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:47 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I see, thanks for clarifying!
I guess I'll just have to buy a sand only rig in addition to a crawler, no worries
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:07 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
well i just looked @ that vid and thats a crawler basicly either geared up or . with todays brushless motors and lipos it verry easy to make it stupid fast . just throw a cc mamba 7700 kv motor and a 5000 mah 30c lipo in it and watch the fun !!!!
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:22 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Yeah, I think it's an AX10 but not really sure.
I was kinda hoping a quick gear change (or just a gear shift, like the TMAXX) and paddles would be all that was needed without compromising the crawling ability of the setup.
I've since decided I need one of these in addition to the crawler, since all I have here is sand, rocks, and more sand

Slash RC car in Glamis Sand Dunes (3 min 12 sec)

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread
I haven't found any other body styles for the exceed 8, do you think other bodies could be modified to work?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:23 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
you can make anything fit if you set your mind to it .
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
I suppose you're right, it's only lexan we're working with