HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2010, 04:33 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
Wilbur and Orville Wright, Thomas Edison, Leonardo da Vinci, and Archimedes of Syracuse comes to mind

Everything looks so smooth and clean. The idea of a sliding wing (to nail down the cg) is very impressvie. Really I mean you can't find anything on the market today that comes close to this design. Your ideas seem to flow out effortlessly Richard, I do envy your talent. It's my understanding that the vacuum forming alone is a very difficult undertaking in of itself.
rchawks is offline Find More Posts by rchawks
Last edited by rchawks; Nov 13, 2010 at 08:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:37 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
OCD? Obsessed? Not sure... But it's DONE! :)

Thank you rchawks!

There's a crazy side to this too though... Worked solid from 8 this morning until 5:15... Completed the wing; twin booms, horizontal stab vertical stab, assembled the main wing panels, hinged the ailerons, elevator, twin rudders, made horns from scratch, soldered up a "Y" harness for the ailerons, put everything together, installed all the pus hrods and dialed in everything in the Tx...

She's READY TO FLY!

Well, almost... all I need is a fusealge and that's a half day project...

Wend back over the numbers originally crunched with the smaller wing...

Original AUW was 8.5oz New guesstimate (and I mean within 10 grams) is 9.8oz!!!

Original Oz/sq/ft wing loading targe goal was between 5oz to 8oz per square foot...

The actual wing loading will be 6.4oz/sq/ft...!!!

I am SO Pleased with the outcome!

The weights were calculated with everything... including the plastic fuselage in the photo (I shared in the previous posts), and to my surprise, it contained a servo and control system for a steerable nose wheel! The landing gear were never part of the original calculations to begin with, so having that thrown in just makes it sweeter!

I spent no effort trying to build lightly... I POURED glue into the CF tube boom/main wing joints and used some really thin fiberglass tape to join the main wing panels together...

I also added a wood leading edge at the horizontal stab and a cf rod at the elevator hinge point...

I am also absolutely exhausted!

Oh... and all the while, I created full size templates and plans including hidden lines for grooves, spars, leading edges etc... and wrote down all the measurements so I can go back and create the final plans...

Oh... and I also took 76 additional photographs photo-documenting the build...

I will go ahead and build the fusealge according to plan using foam sheet and designing it to accept the Standard EyePod...

After I've test flown and shown videos from the air as well as from the ground to the plane, I'll get to work on the plastic fusealge...

I checked around at some of the smaller AP planes... most (including some of my earlier attempts) flew, but were really unstable in pitch and especially roll which resulted in really terrible videos... On one of my previous AP ships (twin boom pusher), I built the wing with a slight amount of dihedral outboard of the twin booms... The difference in video clarity was outstanding!

The EyePlane was never designed for aerobatics (although I wouldn't be surprised), it was designed to take photos and videos... STABLE and EASY to fly have been my number one performance goals... I'm feeling really confident in this one...

Ok... Tresa has the hot tub ready and cooked up some dinner... I'm going to start a fire in the fireplace and call it a day.

As for genius (If that's what you were implying...) I'm learning to understand what a 182 IQ really means... (never knew until a year or two ago...)... What I'm really working on now though (and you can probably see it in my builds and the time frames I get so much accomplished... I experience my life at times like being in a car with the gas pedal stuck on full throttle... It's hard to steer, I crash a lot and it is absolutely exhausting... I don't do drugs, never been mush of a drinker (not a moral thing... On a hot sunny day, I have a killer recipe for Margaritas you would never believe until you tasted it!)... lol!

Working on exercising as a way to back off on that gas pedal...

Thanks for the kind words... thanks for noticing...

But most of all, thanks for showing up and sharing!

Best,
Richard

Enjoy the photos
(Have I mentioned that I really like these popcorn guys?
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:35 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Sunday Morning 10AM, 11/13/2010 COMPLETED!

Well, can't say I'm not just wiped and probably not the best mindset to go test fly, but you know how that goes...

Here's some photos... balancing with a "dummy" fusealge to see how long to make the real one... drawings witht he fuselage being built and the final EyePlane...

Got a little lazy near the end and poured on the glue... over built figuring test flights might mean "emergency landings" and If something went wrong, I wanted to increase my chances for survival, re-adjusting whatever needed to be changed and get a chance for a "do-over"...

Even then, the all up weight turned out to be 10.7 oz (a little high form the original numbers but we also increased the wing area and span which brought the wing loading in at 7oz per sq ft... Right on target! I know this plane could EASILY be built an ounce or two lighter... I just don't have time to keep building and like it when my prototypes survive to keep playing with later...

THis way, I know for certain how the plane flies over loaded...

PS: AUW is with the camera and a 2S-800mah Prop is a 7 x 6

It's dark and gloomy outside with humidity at 100% yet not raining... Not good for flying... humidity totally changes flight performance... dry and cold is good...

Ok... Tres'as just about ready to go... She's shooting ground to air video and I will have a camera on board...

Wish me luck!

Richard
Old Nov 14, 2010, 02:38 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Just noticed the date...

November 14th?

And I began the drawings and number crunching on November 6th???

Ok... I REALLY need to slow down...

If all goes well, I'll post a couple of short videos (ground to air and air to ground), when we get back...

After that, I'm taking the rest of the day off..

(still shaking my head... 7 days?)

ok... off to fly

Richard
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:24 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Best of luck Richard, but I'm guessing it will be just fine...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:50 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
I think the two cylinder motor cowl is positively brilliant! It might limit the choice of motors, and prevent proper cooling, but it would be perfect for static display.

Your original micro UAV immediately set me to thinking of some way to automate the movement of the ball. The thought of that thing panning back and forth and up and down somehow reminds me of Zylon warriors, or at least, the RC models they might fly.

One hundred eighty two!?!?!?!?

No wonder you get so much done in so little time.

Hope the flight went well!
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:29 PM
Maryland
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Awesome.
Lukejt is offline Find More Posts by Lukejt
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
The way you flipped angles of the camera mount never occured to me. You seem to think outside of the box Richard, very good work.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:44 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Hit this one... out of the ballpark! :)

Literally!

I could not have been more pleased!!!

Weather was cold, maybe 2 - 3 mph winds and drizzling!

Climb out from launch was at about 3/4 throttle (didn't feel like it needed more to leave my hands...

2 clicks of up elevator, three clicks of left aileron and then it was hands off from there!

I pushed it through a lot of maneuvers other than aerobatics... (no rolls or loops although I'm sure it will handle them.) Super tight turns, extended climbs, Stall was pretty much unnoticeable... it would just slow down to an almost stop and then mush forward... (The WING REALLY works! I like My Gee Bee with it's flat plate, but the sanding on this wing was so worth it! What a dream!!!!) The EyePlane just became my favorite plane! (Those of you who know me know I don't say that about my own kits unless I really mean it.) This bird is just a real sweet plane to fly... I could push the nose down and it would speed up nicely, pull back and it climbs or slows down.

Got three flights in... All video footage shot from the ground is the maiden test flight as the ground camera batteries died after that...

Most of the flights were at about half throttle. I couldn't force this plane to tip stall unless maybe I moved the CG way back... or climbed out of a dive without power on (It climbs really well and does it slowly without falling off... I think the power/weight ration, motor, prop and battery combo is right on. I'm not even interested inf trying anything else!

I KNOW this plane will thermal given the right day...!

The thing that impressed me more than anything was the steadiness of the EyePlane and it's ability to hold that steadiness even at slow speeds... Most air to ground videos I've seen tend to be really shaky unless they are from a larger plane or a plane flying fast. (Remember, the Eyeplane weighs in at just over half a pound!) The last two landings I caught in my hand without any problems...

Can you tell that I'm excited!?!?!?

What can I say other than I sure wish you were there!

I guess a video is the next best thing to being there?

Enjoy!

Richard

I have some work to do on EyePod production, but I will continue posting the build thread when I can (give me a couple of days to get back at it?)

EyePlane, Maiden Flight.mpg (1 min 21 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
182 IQ and UAV dummy motor cowl

The down side to having a 181 IQ (tested twice by the person administering the test... she thought there was something wrong... Tresa found an on line IQ test and had me try it... glad to see the numbers dropped to 178 ...We figured it must have been the two beers... I'm such a lightweight! lol!), is that my brain thinks NON-STOP! If you can't tell by the way I write and the speed at which I completed this project, there's not a lot of "down-time" in the mix... The candle burns twice as bright, but only half as long... I'm seriously working on learning to slow down... I don't want to burn half as long... I just found the partner of my lifetime and I want as much time with her as I can get! It's harder than you might imagine...

As for the dummy motor cowl, I measured a large selection of small brushless motors to make sure they would fit inside... You'd be surprised at how much room is inside that shell! wanted this scale UAV to fly with the scale motor... After flying the EyePlane today, I'm sure I will finish the micro UAV... it just needs the same wing I put on the EyePlane... very different airfoils... Even if it needs a slightly larger motor (Is the motor for the new micro Suhkoi any more powerful?), it will still be worth it... I picture it painted in camo with military UAV markings on it with a bright shiny, silver motor with red and blue wires and hoses to complete the effect...

Ok... time for dinner and time to take a break... The kid's away for the evening so it's just Tresa and me...

Later!

Richard
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:56 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,360 Posts
do you have some future plans to make the eye-pod camera mount "slew" around and up/down like the real ones do?
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:06 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
United States, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
820 Posts
Nice, looks like an excellent flyer! Great video also, very impressed with the stable picture! Another winner my Friend. Jim
pattypilot is offline Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:10 PM
st joseph mo
Joined May 2004
2,086 Posts
Very nice. I'm glad the maiden flight went so well. It seems very smooth just as you said.
My wife was telling me the avg IQ is around 120, so you running at such high speeds explains alot. When I was in my 20's I could work 12 hrs straight thru for 3 or four days to complete a plane. But that was building from kit that someone else produced and packaged. It's really cool to watch someone go thru all the paces in the manufacturing of a prototype and have everything work out just the way it should.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Thanks guys!

The EyePod camera mount does pan and tilt like the real ones... (There's a video over in the EyePod camera mount thread in this same forum... The video on the table shows what it's capable of doing. There are some already planning modifications for an on board servo controlled pan and tilt... Probably better put to use for micro FPV where it might make more of a difference...

As for 12 hour days in my 20's... lol! I sometimes do 18-20 hour days now and I'm 56...! Geeze, my brains still thinks I'm a teenager! It really screws up when I look at a physical task and do it and then my body just laughs back at me for days screaming:" What were you thinking! " LOL! My longest stretch, was builing an architectural model that had to be shipped to China about 15 years ago... stayed up for 76 hours straight... no drugs, no naps, frequent wake up showers and a ton of coffee... Slept for days after wards! lol!

These days, 10 to 12 hours is the norm... as for IQ, I had no idea what mine meant (tested in my early 20's the first time... I just thought everyone was like this... Only recently ...since Tresa coming into my life, have I learned otherwise..." I do appreciate what I can do... I also long for more "peace" in my life... Tresa and Kyla have been a godsend for me, moving in that direction...

Thanks a lot for checking in and your kind words... I really am delighted with this plane... So much so, I don't think I'd change a thing! and if you are beginning to understand how my brain works, normally I'd already be modifying this baby! lol!

I could really see someone taking this airframe and turning it into a park flier FPV... not long distance work, just sport/fun flying with goggles...

Ok... dinner is almost ready...

Richard
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Interesting.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Last edited by t-turley; Dec 22, 2010 at 08:45 AM.