HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:58 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxiex View Post
Sentry.... you say.... "Got mine today"..... does that mean you bought it like we see in the picture?

Or did you build it?

Is someone selling these already built?

Thanks!
Well - I've got my TS2 and ASW28 taking up my hangar space. I'm also not setup for foam work... so I found a EXCELLENT builder instead. I can put kits together - but I'm scratch-build stupid. In exchange for building and shipping my EyePlane, I paid for his parts/materials for his plane. These bevel cuts and channels are PERFECT. I chose well with Don - he has the eye and passion for it.

In the future I hope to be setup to work with foam as well as he did - I almost don't want to fly it. He did as AWESOME job.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:29 AM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
Well - I've got my TS2 and ASW28 taking up my hangar space. I'm also not setup for foam work... so I found a EXCELLENT builder instead. I can put kits together - but I'm scratch-build stupid. In exchange for building and shipping my EyePlane, I paid for his parts/materials for his plane. These bevel cuts and channels are PERFECT. I chose well with Don - he has the eye and passion for it.

In the future I hope to be setup to work with foam as well as he did - I almost don't want to fly it. He did as AWESOME job.

Hey, Sentry. So happy you're pleased, and glad to see that the plane made it to you undamaged. I'll look forward to your flights and videos.

As far as making these completed planes (or partially completed) available I'm still considering it and discussing this with Richard, and will let you guys know something shortly.

All the best, Don
dawjr is offline Find More Posts by dawjr
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:13 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
If you've been following this or any other of my threads, you know that my time is so stretched and committed to developing new kits rather than building. (My hangar is filled with first edition prototypes and rarely a second edition (with modifications like the great ones Don has put into his EyePlane builds... removable wings, boom pods, extended rudders etc... I love them all!)

That said, I have a policy of not getting involved between builders and "clients" with regards to providing ARF versions of my kits...

However.... I have seen Don's work, we've spoken on the phone several times, we've shared photos of our "other" works and after seeing what he'd done with the plans, the builds and his other businesses, I will (for the first time ever!) recommend Don as a great person to connect with if you are wanting one of these EyePlanes built.

I'm hope you can understand why I don't get involved or become the middle-man. However, please know that I do not accept any money from Don for his work and whatever he decides to charge, I will share that I'm sure it's worth it. His attention to detail, the use of aligning jigs and fixtures... Even if you have a small shop to work in, The though of having one of these arriving at my home ready to fly just puts a huge smile on my face!

Don asked a great question a while back... how do y9ou get the EyePod mounted at a 45 degree angle, to point sideways while having the picture horizontal...

Well, my next post will contain photos and a video... My theoretical solution worked, however (as you will see in the video and photos), the tightness of the retention cord is diminished allowing the camera to vibrate (This is seen in the video as a "jello" effect in the film at times... of course, having mud on the prop didn't help! lol! I landed in between changing the EyePod position and didn't pay attention as the wind was building (from 15MPH!) and my hands were frozen solid! I just wanted to fly, shoot some video and get back home! lol!)

At any rate, If anyone is wanting to modify their EyePod to shoot sideways when mounted on their EyePlane, the photos will explain it all... the only thing I would add after having modified an existing ball, is to add internal formers to keep the ball rigid where the two slots intersect while allowing the retention cord to pass both vertical and circular.

Knowing Don, I'm sure he's already figured it out before I even get to posting the photos and video!

(Waiting for Vimeo to upload so I can post here... going back to work for now until It is ready... then I'll come back here and post again... maybe an hour?

Take care guys!

Great work Don!
Lucky you Sentry!

Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:15 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Side facing EyePod on the EyePlane

Ok,

Here's some photos and video of the EyePod shooting in different positions form the EyePlane:

Winds were averaging 10mph to 15mph so it got a little shaky at times... Everything was still stock per the build, so no extra power ups or heavier ballast batteries...

Shots include forward, down and back, right and left (per the new modification to the eyepod mount)

EyePlane, with Modifed EyePod for side view (1 min 8 sec)

Hope there's enough info in the videos to figure it out... the circular slot provides a way for the camera to pivot from side to side at a slightly down ward position... the cool thing is if you point it straight out and circle your EyePlane you can video tape an object (moving or otherwise) from different angles... One thing I'd like to do is fly along side the car as we go up to the mountains... there's a long stretch of steep cliffs with minimal trees... can picture keeping the car in view as the plane flies...

Still haven't run of out of power yet so I don't know just how long the EyePlane will fly... In these videos, my fingers froze first! I wanted to do some more aerobatics and close the ground slalom flying in between the trees... of course with only one plane, I can't afford to risk crashing and not having an other...

I may have to talk to Don about getting him to build me one!

Anyway... I have some more molding to do today, the kid is off to a sleep over party and Tresa and I have the house to ourselves... I promised to stop working before 3pm...

Wishing you all a Happy new year!

Best,
Richard
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:25 PM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Elegant solution to the challenge, Richard. Yeah, I can see where some internal stiffening formers in the ball would help. On my attempt, I cut the back of the pivot out and moved it upward, which I can't quite get a vertical axis, but close. Anyway, no joy on that because the line of tension is too close to the edge of the cradle, so I got the rocking too.

I've got the same wavering (jello effect) in my videos too and have simply tracked it down to the motor running. A power off glide gives the best video. I've racked my feeble mind on trying to figure out a simple isolated motor mount. One dynamic we have with a plane like this is that it's so light, and the fuse is so rigid, that there's virtually nothing that I can think of that will "isolate" one end from another. Even the softest foam will still translate vibration because there's not enough mass to work against. It's a good challenge and one that will be fun for us as a group to find the answers to.

All the best, Don
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:03 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Vibration

Well, Don,

I don't know about elegant! lol! I think it solved the desire to have side view horizontal mounting though...

Reducing vibration has always been the challenge for AP enthusiasts...

Some solutions:

(#1 on the list that most people ignore: BALANCE your props! Just because they are new, does not mean they are balanced... even plastic EP and slow flight props...! Start there! Confession... I don't remember the last time I balanced a plastic prop... folding high speed props, on 3 to 4 cells, yes,,, these small guys... well, no.... BUT I SHOULD!

also Smaller props provide less vibration...

dampening the motor mount.

More weight in the fusealge (larger battery) will helpd dampen vibrations as well.

Then a long list of jellies, foam rubbers, spinge rubbers, soft rubbers, springs etc to isolate the camera...

Many professionals will turn their motors off for shooting... That's why the airfoil on this wing was so important! I wanted it to have a flat glide... (In this category, sharpening the trailing edges helps a LOT! I didn't sharpen my rudders on this one, but I sure wil on my next EyePlane build...

I like your idea about moving the retaining tension cord! GREAT idea!

For both our solutions, adding more of the black foam rubber around the camera ball will certainly help... You can find it at most craft shops... comes in tons of colors and costs about 69cents for a square foot... possible placing it in between the ball and the inner structure? possible three or four small "tabs" of it at the junction between the ball and the outer base shell (there's about 1/16" space that could easily accommodate three or four small (1/8" wide") strips... I will be doing this foam strip approach to mine before the next flights...

Still had fun though... I just started playing with aerobatics and the EyePlane... it holds inverted just fine, rolls are axial and loops are endless (This is till all performed using the small 2-S 800mah, blue wonder 20gram outrunner and a 7X6 prop and still seems to fly forever! Just doesn't use a lot of power to fly level and loops require throttle down on the last leg dropping vertical...

Ok... that's it for now... just finished checking the hot water heater... it was turned low for summer... EEEEk! Haven't had a warm (let alone hot) shower in weeks! drained it and no rust so we should be good to go...

Take care!

Richard
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:46 PM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Good ideas on all, I think dampening the motor mount will give the best results in the end. These little motors are a bit "notchy" anyway, I wonder if a better/different ESC has any affect on motor smoothness - anybody?

Here's my attempts at better video - results; a bit better.

dawjr
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:53 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
To answer your q - yes a higher end ESC does make the motor pulsing more smooth.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:47 PM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
To answer your q - yes a higher end ESC does make the motor pulsing more smooth.
I wondered about that, let's see if we can determine what will work the best. I have one of the turnigy plush 10amps coming, this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4204

so I'll see what improvement if any is there.

dawjr
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:43 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I couldn't resist so I did this one in my kitchen instead of my "hangar" upstairs (since there are TS2, ASW28 and Hexa parts all over the place upthere ) I have the wings taped right now - but I have devised some quick-release braces after a quick trip to Home Depot. I basically joined the 2 wing pieces w/ a nut and waster with a bolt through it --- but this "washer" is cut out in the shape of the mating surfaces so it distributes the load from the screw over the entire mating surface. It's made from plastic. I was gonna wait to get this guy up but I went ahead and ordered the video gear for it... went with 500mw 900 on this setup. Will try to fly it LOS tomorrow - this gives me a chance to flight test my new Fut 9CAP from RMRC.

:

:

:

:

:

Oh - I am also considering a coupla CF rods (see the red lines in the pic) to assist w/ flex. Thoughts??

I'm also covering some surfaces w/ high-strength tape just to build in some resiliency while still maintaining the light-weight nature of this plane.

Although I love the struts that Don improvised - I will make the hole on the wing side of the strut for obvious reasons vs just the single hole.
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Dec 31, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:55 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Hey!?!?!?!!!

You guys are adding colors!

And sharpened noses!

What's up with that!?!?!?!?!

Don't you like "prototype-white"?!?!?!?!?

LOL!

Your planes look fantastic! I don't know if I just didn't have time or just didn't think about adding colors but what you have both done with your EyePlanes has me "eyeing" BOTH of them! LOL!

The really do look different and wonderful!

Great job!

Happy New Year!

Richard
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:02 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I love Don's design - it's def more effiecient in the air. I think mine still allows some rubber in between the fuse and the pod - as well as inside of the camera mount. I think it should make great videos. We shall see!!
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:27 PM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Hey, Guys. Yeah, had to throw a bit of color on them - Richard, we need some cool "EyePlane" graphics from you. I have a sign cutter plotter (my only home cnc equipment, lol) and can cut out some stuff as long as I can input it into the sign-cut software.

Sentry, I'm interested in your clamping method for the pods, send or show me a pic of your final design.

We're also interested in steps to making good video from these birds. I found out a great tip that I'll share now, playback speed! When you are modifying your video, if you have the capability with your software to adjust the playback speed of a clip or section, 1/2 speed results in video that looks so much better, almost like watching video from full size aircraft. Our little cameras are capturing 30fps so it turns out that most of the blur is usually screen graphics trying to catch up with the quick motion of the plane. I'm sure that many already know this, but I thought it was a cool trick.

This sure has been a fun thread. Thanks, Richard.

dawjr
Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:51 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
So welcome Don,

The play back speed is important... these little cameras are 'rated" at 30 frames per second, but in reality, they often only capture and put out 20 frames per second... That's why most of the videos we wee on this website look so fast...

as for graphics.... (laughing pitifully to myself... that takes time and today on new years day, I'm already hard at work on transforming two new designs into kits! Should be trying to relax some more... sigh... oh well... There's a few graphic styles I really like approaches I really like... one is this one:

Striking, high contrast... (Color graphic composition has never been my strong point... It's always been sculpting cool shapes and making them fly)... I like how this one looks from the side... not to just copy and apply it but to use it as inspiration... more white, some more gray,,, I just know there's an idea here that would look cool on the EyePlane...

I get so wrapped up in creating these planes/kits and always driven onto the next one... a rare case was my micro Ryan kit... and that one had to do with choosing a scale plane and applying a scale color scheme that just seemed to fit best over others... in this case, the polished aluminum, yellow fabric army ari core trainer colors just felt right so i went ahead and just followed the original to help enhance the scale appearance... If you notice the rest of my planes, they seem to gravitate towards what I call my "prototype white" paint scheme! lol!

TOTALLY cool that you own a graphics cutting plotter! Will it cut monokote trim? is that what you used on your EyePlane builds?

Ok... back to work here!

Wishing a Happy New year to all!
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:28 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawjr View Post
Sentry, I'm interested in your clamping method for the pods, send or show me a pic of your final design.
I got the idea bc I have a tongue ring. I was wondering... "how can I clamp these 2 wing-ends together with something stronger than tape, but without smashing through the foam? I have a habit of clicking my tongue-ring against my teeth when I am thinking... then I realized that the tongue ring was the answer. I can tighten the ball onto the threaded rod, but I can only go as tight as the length of the rod (which is great bc otherwise you smash your tonge) LOL.

So - imagine taking 1 ball off, then pushing it through the wing mating surfaces - then putting the ball back on. If it's loose, then the rod needs to be shorter. If you can't get the thread started... then the rod needs to be longer. Get it PERFECT and you get a nice joined wing w/out damage to the foam.

** improvements **
1) that little ball is a VERY small focused point - 1 crash and it puts a LOT of pressure in a very small area - so imagine a wide plastic/nylon washer next to each ball.

2) then I realized even with a wide washer - that is still a small area. So I cut out plastic (milk jug) in the shape of the mating surfaces, THEN used plastic tongue rings (I used 3 - 1 at the end, 1 in the middle and 1 at the other end). I am torquing these down firmly enough to push on the plastic - but since the plastic gives a bit, it doesn't damage the foam. I'll get you some pics tomorrow.