HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Hmm.... In the testing I've done I have not had any problems. If you have "Empty Temporary Internet Files" selected under Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced, Security.... then it will not load because your cached files have all been deleted.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:47 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
I don't think I have those settings in either browser. (its Win7 but with Firefox) I didn;t really realise that the GE plugin used a browser. How do I know which one?

The PC is installed in a vehicle at my workshop so I can't look now.

BTW - the setup with our Atto V2 data was awesomely simple: COM, Baud and off it goes. Well done. Love the voice calls to.
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
Also food for thought is that GE will only cache about 2GB worth of data to disk and only keep about 512MB in memory by default.

You can change that in GE options:

Important: Last time I checked the API documentation elevation data is not cached, so you may encounter problems where POI not positioned at ground level are not accurately rendered at the correct elevation.
Entens is offline Find More Posts by Entens
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:27 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Lomcevac, the embedded web browser is IE...so check your IE settings in Control Panel, Internet Options.

Entens, thanks for the heads up. I'm not 100% sure that the API uses those settings, but I didn't know it was user definable. Looks like I'll have to warn users about their system settings on startup and ask if they want me to change it for them.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:49 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Thanks guys.

Will changing the caching settings in the stand-alone GE application have affect on the embedded GE? Obviously there's no menu access in the embedded GE... In fact I didn't download anything but the CGS App. Should I have downloaded the API too?
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Last edited by Lomcevac; Jan 12, 2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:44 AM
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
Thanks guys.

Will changing the caching settings in the stand-alone GE application have affect on the embedded GE? Obviously there's no menu access in the embedded GE... In fact I didn't download anything but the CGS App. Should I have downloaded the API too?
If the GCS is working for you, then you already have the GE plugin and API installed. Google short circuited the need to have both the GE client and plugin as they both use the same cache. By default the values at `HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Google Earth Plus\CachePath` and `HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\GoogleEarthPlug in\CachePath` point to `C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth` (assuming you'r using Windows Vista or Windows 7).
Entens is offline Find More Posts by Entens
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Happy, Ive been testing your GCS, good work, looking good!!!

A little request however. Do you think you could implement the standard SSC (serial servo controller) protocol for the antenna tracker? This protocol is used on the Seetron MiniSSC and has essentially become the standard for serial servo controllers. Most commercial controllers support this protocol now.

I have developed several controllers based on this protocol. Its simple to implement.

Most of this type control 8 servos, so you could allow a servo number selection for each channel, maybe allow mirroring/cloning to other channels etc.

The protocol consists of 3 bytes...

Byte1 - sync byte/qualifier(255) (can be changed to allow addressing)
Byte2 - servo # (0-7)
Byte3 - position (0-254)

If you would like to do this, I can provide the circuit, pcb files, and source for the controller to go along with it.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:18 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I actually added the Pololu protocol this morning... I ordered one for testing. I believe this same hardware will do MiniSSC as well... so yes, I'll add that as well...

I'll have to see how the 0 to 254 position works. I opted for Command #4 on the Pololu protocol because it uses the raw servo ms values instead of the 254 positions. I guess I'll need to edit the calibration routine to handle 254 positions instead of 2000 postitions.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
I actually added the Pololu protocol this morning... I ordered one for testing. I believe this same hardware will do MiniSSC as well... so yes, I'll add that as well...

I'll have to see how the 0 to 254 position works. I opted for Command #4 on the Pololu protocol because it uses the raw servo ms values instead of the 254 positions. I guess I'll need to edit the calibration routine to handle 254 positions instead of 2000 postitions.

Awesome, but I think the Polulu protocol is quite a bit different,(it does support the SSC protocol however), which is fine. I was just hoping for a standard protocol that anyone could buy an off the shelf controller and it be usable, instead of a specific controller as most support the SSC protocol. Many people probably already have one that does.

The 255 position isnt bad actually, and more than usable for a tracker considering the divergence of reception/transmission patterns. "Ball-Park" seems to be as good as were gonna get anyway using these methods.

I do have a version that has 10bit resolution, but I dont think its necessary.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Yes, I'm hoping to support everything under the sun.... The reason I brought up the Pololu was it supports SSC so I can test with it.... I can take a shot and just try implementing the protocol... but it's always easier with hardware to test. What is the "middle" position in the 254? 127?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'm hoping to support everything under the sun.... The reason I brought up the Pololu was it supports SSC so I can test with it.... I can take a shot and just try implementing the protocol... but it's always easier with hardware to test. What is the "middle" position in the 254? 127?
Great!!

Yep, mid is 127!!

I have a few ready to test. As soon as you get it done let me know and I will give it a shot.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:25 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Version 1.1.36 is ready for you to test.

http://code.google.com/p/happykillmo...downloads/list

For now, I have not given any option to select Servo #. So 0 is Pan, 1 is tilt. Let me know if I need to make this configurable. Make sure you select MiniSSC, click connect and then click Calibrate. I need to know what the end points are...and using this function you can reverse the direction if needed.

I'm just sending 255,Servo#,0-254Output

ie: 255,0,127 (This would be 3 characters binary and would center the pan servo).
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Version 1.1.36 is ready for you to test.

http://code.google.com/p/happykillmo...downloads/list

For now, I have not given any option to select Servo #. So 0 is Pan, 1 is tilt. Let me know if I need to make this configurable. Make sure you select MiniSSC, click connect and then click Calibrate. I need to know what the end points are...and using this function you can reverse the direction if needed.

I'm just sending 255,Servo#,0-254Output

ie: 255,0,127 (This would be 3 characters binary and would center the pan servo).
It needs to be sent ASCII chars instead of binary, if thats what you are referring to in your example.

I will test in a bit.

Also, the servo # essentially does need to be selectable as the standard SSC protocol uses servos #9-18 for extended range. This can just be a check box for "extended range" and be done behind the scenes however. Choosing servo #9 will move servo 0 with extended end points.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I'm using Chr(255) & Chr(0) & Chr(inputValue)... so yeah, ASCII character set, but it's not going to be human readable.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
Separate issue, so separate post.

The chase cam zoom level does not retain when zoomed in, it automatically zooms back out.

Also, can the model scale factor be reduced further, some still appear quite large even at minimum. It just adds a weird feel to it.

Sorry to be a bugger!!