SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:36 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Currently, no. The atto wp setup is different than the GCS's routine. The last version of firmware I used didn't store The wp data in eeprom. So The laptop was a requirement unless you took The plane to The field with The battery plugged in.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:26 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,661 Posts
Paul,

Problem is that my 'field' is a drive and hike to an archaeology site.

Could I use the COMMAND tab? Is the data sent to Atto in Atto System format?

I could load a WP file and then use the Command Line to send:

$J,02,1,0,Tom WP #0*FF

If the Command Line sends literals it should cause Atto to store the WP file in WP location 0 with the label "Tom WP #0".

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Harper View Post
Paul,

GCS is working with both Atto V2.0s and V3.0.

Next question:

When I upload a WP file to Atto does the GCS store it in Eprom location 0? As I understand it, Atto can store multiple WP files. Can this be done through the GCS?

My first priority is simply to upload a WP file that will be held by Atto after a power off. I need to hike into the field and fly a WP pattern without dragging the laptop along.

Tom
Hi Tom - storage of WP files (up to 35) in Atto's EEPROM requires a prototype "$J" command firmware that I developed earlier this year. But to use it is not right now (last I checked) supported by the HappyK GCS.. meaning not with a GUI on a tab in the program. But you could still use the "$J" command as you allude: first putting a WP file in RAM using the HappyK GCS at home on the bench, then secondly using a serial terminal command prompt to manually enter the $J arguments:

$J,VehicleID,Read/Write,SlotNum,FlightName*FF

VehicleID can be universal (0) or the sepcific vehicle ID # (1-255)
Read/Write = 0 or 1 (0=Read from EEPROM to RAM, 1=Write from RAM to EEPROM)
SlotNum = 1 through 35
FlightName = optional ASCII name for flight, up to 31 characters.

1) Use HappyK GCS to load WP mission to RAM
2) On HappyK tab "Command Line" or in another serial terminal widow, type $J0,1,slot#,name*FF<enter> (If you don't want to use the optional name, simply type $J0,1,slot#*FF<enter>)
3) Atto can be powered down now. In field, use serial terminal window and J command to load WP mission from EEPROM into active RAM: $J,0,0,slot#*FF<enter>

I'll send you the firmware Tom. This is for V3 (IMU) only however.

Dean
dmgoedde is offline Find More Posts by dmgoedde
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:23 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,661 Posts
Dean,

Thanks - I got the email firmware.

Think I'll build the little control box we discussed in an email exchange sometime back. That would provide switch selection of WP files in the field.

Any chance to get "J" commands for V2.0 (thermopiles)?

Tom
Last edited by Tom Harper; Dec 07, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:59 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I'm back at it guys....after some time off, development has begun again.

Recently, I've been contacted by some guys who are into rockets...so I've been adding more antenna/telescope tracking functionality.

I also added the ability to have remote camera tracking (multiple remote GCS units with camera tracking) and mobile ground stations (could also be used for lost model recovery)

This image is the new Antenna Tracking View (NOTE: You have to set home before this option appears)

Glass cockpit coming soon!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:47 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
with multi mission storage/recall?
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:58 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,431 Posts
Looks great! Can't wait to use it!
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:10 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Hey Happy, (or any one else whose run into this)

I have a client that is using a Toshiba Satellite and while he has an internet connection the GCS works just fine. Google Earth comes up and he plot out his course and save it to the Attopilot. When he moves into the field with no internet, the only thing that will come up is the web cam built into laptop. We've tried disabling the webcam in hardware but it persists. Anyone else run into this problem not being able to use cached maps?

Gene
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
Hey Happy, (or any one else whose run into this)

I have a client that is using a Toshiba Satellite and while he has an internet connection the GCS works just fine. Google Earth comes up and he plot out his course and save it to the Attopilot. When he moves into the field with no internet, the only thing that will come up is the web cam built into laptop. We've tried disabling the webcam in hardware but it persists. Anyone else run into this problem not being able to use cached maps?

Gene
Gene,

The current version only support GE online...... Paul has been working on it but I have no idea what or where he is on it. I do know there was going to be a "pro" version that would cost $ but be supplied with Atto for free. That version is supposed to support offline maps.

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:53 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Here are the issues I've got with offline maps. I've started and stopped trying to implement "Great Maps" (GMaps) which is a caching tool for Google Earth, Yahoo and Bing twice now. I'm not sure how Michael O pulled it off in the APM Planner as the program doesn't seem to want to work for my purposes. That's the first issue. I either need to throw lots more time towards getting GMaps to do it or I need to write one myself....which might be a better option.

The second issue is caching Google, Yahoo or Bing maps violate their terms of service. Freeware/Open-Source doesn't get you past that issue. So when Google, Yahoo or Bing figure out what's going on there, it could mean lawsuit. I don't have the funds for that.

I've contacted Google asking how we can get offline maps working and they have no solution. So that means a for-pay mapping system or one of the free maps that are out there like Open Streets. But that would mean I need to start from scratch as GMaps doesn't do it.

The last issue is my time. I'm hoping to have a better daycare solution in the next few weeks and that may free up a day or two a week to work on other software projects like the GCS. But for now, I have very little time.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Bummer......
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,936 Posts
http://www.openstreetmap.org/ ?
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
vau
UK
Joined Jan 2007
252 Posts
Aye if the likes of Google had their way then computers wouldn't even come with hard disks much less the ability to cache map data.

I guess you know how the Paparazzi GCS deals with GM. Map tiles are downloaded on demand from GM and the written directly to disk as raster tiles. This approach just isnt going to work with GE though. Why not stick with 2D tiles and using your own software to store and display them like Paparazzi does. It also pulls in DEM from the SRTM dataset for ground altitude.

GE is nice because it can let you add paths, way points etc without needing to write too much code not to mention that it looks cool but I'd say that having a decent 2D map is the main requirement - especially when in the field?
vau is offline Find More Posts by vau
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,661 Posts
Question:

Can I use the GCS to create WP files when not at the flying site?

I get the Google Earth icon but I can't zoom in on a site.

So, when not at the field do I use GCS or just make WP files the old fashioned way.

Tom
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:59 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
If you have web access at the flying site, then yes.