SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2011, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
NMEA GPS but it won't have pitch and roll. If you need the too the ArduPilot original plus ArduIMU v2
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzna View Post
another good option was (in my opinion):

possibillity to save/store the atto config data in a file ... this is very usefull when users have two or more planes but only one AP.
then itīs possible to change the AP in new plane and load settings from a file, quickly.
or is this function present until today and i have averlooked this ?

cu olli
Agreed....this is something I need to add.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
376 Posts
XSC and Atto only work at 9600? That's news to me as I've always used them at 38400. There something I'm missing?
tekrunner is offline Find More Posts by tekrunner
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:59 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrunner View Post
XSC and Atto only work at 9600? That's news to me as I've always used them at 38400. There something I'm missing?
Thats just silly. Atto will work at any baud rate.
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Jun 03, 2011, 11:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
I may have another clue for you smart RF guys out there. Attached is a screen shot of what happens when try to connect Atto with the GCS. Couple of questions for you guys that are using the Xbees.....

1. What model of the Xbee are you using? The XSC is limited to 9600 which could be a problem.
2. Could someone who is using an XBee send me their configuration file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmcn_3 View Post
Thats just silly. Atto will work at any baud rate.

Hey Chris, yeah that's what I thought but the above message from centex had me confused. I've been using atto and xsc at 38400 reliably for awhile now.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 07:36 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Spent time with the Digi support guys and they suggest that I get someone's config that works and upload it to my modems. But they also hinted that it could be a buffer overflow since the XSC modem would only go as high as 9600 while the other model Xbees would go as high as 1.5kbs but just don't have the range.
That's what the Digi guys told me. Made me kinda go "huh?" too
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:10 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,417 Posts
OK, What are you guys using on the Xbee base station end of the GCS receiving unit?

I figure most everyone is using the Atto adapter onboard the plane, but there appear to be several Xbee adapters (Adafruit, etc.) for the base end of things. Could I be having a compatibility issue with Atto and the one I'm using?

Gene
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
OK, What are you guys using on the Xbee base station end of the GCS receiving unit?

I figure most everyone is using the Atto adapter onboard the plane, but there appear to be several Xbee adapters (Adafruit, etc.) for the base end of things. Could I be having a compatibility issue with Atto and the one I'm using?

Gene
I'm using atto adapter fwiw.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 08:30 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrunner View Post
I'm using atto adapter fwiw.
For the base station too?
Old Jun 05, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Jan 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
For the base station too?
Oh, for the base station I'm using the sparkfun USB explorer
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8687
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:38 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Quote:
First time, it downloaded to $123 then locked solid. Didn't even get the voice notification that time either.
Unplugged the desktop modem to release
Close GCS and get the lovely "HK GCS encountered a problem and had to close"
Plug modem back in
Start GCS
Select Attopilot and aircraft #2 as per Ad's comment.
Hit CONNECT, and it downloads to #33 parameters - then locks.

All modems set to 9600,N,8,1
CenTex, my XSC modems arrived today. I hooked them up to my Atto V2 at 9600 and everything worked fantastic....right out of the box. I didn't see a single read fail on Atto. With ArduPilot Mega it was failing all over the place because I had set my APM to pump out telemetry at 10Hz for Attitude and 9600 couldn't handle that quantity of data.... so either I fixed it in one of my recent posts or we have different setups....or there's something wrong with your hardware... Where should we go from here with testing?

I too am using the X-Bee Explorer from Sparkfun to power my ground X-Bee. I'm using the Atto board to power the plane's X-Bee and I have a 5V power supply connected to power the Atto and X-Bee/Board. I have all of the Atto sensors and GPS connected for this test. Is it possible you're not providing enough power to the X-Bee?
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:27 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
CenTex, my XSC modems arrived today. I hooked them up to my Atto V2 at 9600 and everything worked fantastic....right out of the box. I didn't see a single read fail on Atto. With ArduPilot Mega it was failing all over the place because I had set my APM to pump out telemetry at 10Hz for Attitude and 9600 couldn't handle that quantity of data.... so either I fixed it in one of my recent posts or we have different setups....or there's something wrong with your hardware... Where should we go from here with testing?

I too am using the X-Bee Explorer from Sparkfun to power my ground X-Bee. I'm using the Atto board to power the plane's X-Bee and I have a 5V power supply connected to power the Atto and X-Bee/Board. I have all of the Atto sensors and GPS connected for this test. Is it possible you're not providing enough power to the X-Bee?
Now that is frustrating - for me anyway! I also ordered two RPSMA Xbees just in case and get the same thing from theom. I am using a base station board from Ryan Mechatronics is the only difference and that may be the key. They are going to send me another base so I can test between the two modems on the same computer. Digi suggested that if someone had a working setup that they send me their modem config file. Think you could do that?

Thanks

Gene
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:33 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Does that mean "profile?" Something interesting to note is I am unable to "Read" the parameters on my XSC on my XP Pro 32 computer, but it reads fine on my Windows 7 64.... Very odd. I can hit Test/Query and it finds it...but it won't read.

EDIT: After more work, I was able to identify that version 1022 was missing from my XP Pro 32 PC...and even after uninstalling, deleting the directory and re-installing, the missing files in C:\program files\digi\XCTU\update\xbee_xsc did not re-appear. So I copied the C:\program files\digi\XCTU\update folder from my Windows 7 computer to my XP Pro and now all is good.

I had:
XBP09-XC_1020.ehx
XBP09-XC_1020.mxi

I was missing:
XBP09-XC_1022.ehx
XBP09-XC_1022.mxi

(Posted for the benefit of those Googling this issue)
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Jun 05, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:49 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Dec 2005
279 Posts
XSC baud

I seem to recall that the I/O baud rate on the XSC 900 can be different from the over the air transmit rate. The over the air rate of 9600 seems to be what allows for the longer range, but the small buffers on board allow for the higher or lower I/O data rate.

I will have to dig out my docs. I tested with the Developers kit over a year ago and have not used it since, so I could be all wrong on this.

Jim H
small_rcer is offline Find More Posts by small_rcer
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by small_rcer View Post
I seem to recall that the I/O baud rate on the XSC 900 can be different from the over the air transmit rate. The over the air rate of 9600 seems to be what allows for the longer range, but the small buffers on board allow for the higher or lower I/O data rate.

I will have to dig out my docs. I tested with the Developers kit over a year ago and have not used it since, so I could be all wrong on this.

Jim H

XSC transmits at 100mw as opposed to the Pro which transmits at just 50mw which contributes to the extended range