HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2011, 10:49 PM
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
Ok,
I probably need to start some test to understant for exemple priority level if I pilot via GCS + R/C radio as back-up

in case of software crash, I'm concerned on does the APM will hand over the control from GCS to R/C radio or there is any priority management between GCS data & R/C radio ...

thanks
grandbourgueul is offline Find More Posts by grandbourgueul
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2011, 10:53 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Good question. Here's the trouble with the current APM code. There is no heartbeat that the APM expects to recieve from the GCS. I have made a request but it hasn't been added yet. Right now, when you click "enable" on the joystick tab of my GCS, the APM starts listening to the GCS for joystick input. The APM won't listen to R/C input until the enable button is unchecked.... but if the GCS crashes, that's a problem. I would like for the APM to listen for heartbeats and after it's missed X number of heartbeats, give control back to the APM.

Fly By Wire A is the best mode to test in....or full Auto. I wouldn't test in software manual either (we're still working on changing modes via the GCS)...

The joystick will work in every mode except hardware manual (which would mean it's set by the R/C channel). If you select Manual Mode in the GCS' control tab, then you can fly it 100% manually....but again, I wouldn't try this until you have some comfort in the auto/stabilization type modes.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 06, 2011, 05:51 AM
Adelaide
Joined Feb 2007
245 Posts
Hey Paul,
Have you done any more work with the Feiyutech stuff, like two way comms?
Blunderbum is offline Find More Posts by Blunderbum
Old May 06, 2011, 07:53 AM
arizona
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
Looking forward to the day when HKGCS joystick control will work with ATTO like in the HARC mode where delays, glitches shouldn't make much of a difference. That is in the future isnt it ?

Bill
billh117 is offline Find More Posts by billh117
Old May 06, 2011, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Unfortunately, no. I've got bad news and I've got worse news on the Feiyutech stuff.

The bad news is teh guys at FY sent me a FY21AP instead of a FY3ZT so I couldn't do the full 2-way with the hardware they sent me.

The worse news is I released the magic smoke on my FY21AP right after I got back from the Sparkfun AVC about a week ago..... Must have plugged something in wrong and poof... done....
Old May 06, 2011, 10:05 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Atto joystick control already working with my GCS
Old May 06, 2011, 01:59 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,818 Posts
Thats the Atto difference ;-)
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old May 06, 2011, 03:20 PM
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Khan Uul
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Just out of ignorance -- does joystick control mean you fly from the GCS using a joystick?
chuck99z28 is offline Find More Posts by chuck99z28
Old May 06, 2011, 03:58 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Yes sir, that's exactly what it means. Gamepad or Joystick.

I have these two:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEoQ8wIwAA#
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFYQ8wIwAA#
Old May 06, 2011, 05:38 PM
FPV = Fun Powered Vehicle
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
The worse news is I released the magic smoke on my FY21AP right after I got back from the Sparkfun AVC about a week ago..... Must have plugged something in wrong and poof... done....
HK, Sorry to hear that. It happens to the best of us. Keep up the good work!

Do you know if the Real Flight G3 Sim controller will work as a controller through the GCS?

I was also at the AVC 2011. Did you compete? What did you think about the competion? I plan on competing next year in the ground and air class. Sorry for going off topic.

Cheers
LokeyFPV is offline Find More Posts by LokeyFPV
Old May 06, 2011, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Lokey...yeah, I was kinda bummed about smoking it. They're not cheap and I don't expect I'll get another one. I looked at it again after it fried and I still didn't see what I connected wrong. I fied a ArduPilot original about 2 years ago and messed up an ArduPilot Mega's clock settings (bricked it) last year. It sucks when it happens....

No, I don't tihnk the Real Flight joystick will work. It's not a typical joystick interface.

I helped Doug Weibel with his plane. He had the bungee system and I was the balding guy in the blue Continental Airlines jacket who helped him get everything ready to launch. I also did the throwing for his 2nd place winner "Plan B." I'd love to go again next year and actually compete....
Old May 06, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Lokey...yeah, I was kinda bummed about smoking it. They're not cheap and I don't expect I'll get another one. I looked at it again after it fried and I still didn't see what I connected wrong. I fied a ArduPilot original about 2 years ago and messed up an ArduPilot Mega's clock settings (bricked it) last year. It sucks when it happens....
If the guys at FY are smart (they seem to be) and want the GCS to work perfect with their system they'll get you a new one and should even send the FY3ZT. IMO it would be worth it to them in the long run.

Quote:
No, I don't tihnk the Real Flight joystick will work. It's not a typical joystick interface.
I didn't think so but I thought I would check with you to be sure. I've got an xbox360 controller that should work.

Quote:
I helped Doug Weibel with his plane. He had the bungee system and I was the balding guy in the blue Continental Airlines jacket who helped him get everything ready to launch. I also did the throwing for his 2nd place winner "Plan B." I'd love to go again next year and actually compete....
Well done. That was a great catapult system. Every launch I saw was just about perfect. I was wondering did the hand launch count as an autonomous launch?

Also how about Chris Anderson's failed autonomous launches into the crowd. I think I read that he didn't have a steerable nose gear.

Cheers
Old May 06, 2011, 08:15 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I think the FY guys are working on their own GCS at the moment. The guy I had emailed back and forth with kept saying he needed to get the ok from the factory. I haven't heard anything in a few weeks.

Spend the $19 and get a Logitech F310. Unless the X-Box controller is a USB plug? I've never seen one....so I don't really know.

Hand launch was not autonomous. Plus Doug kept trying to get the 30sec bonus for auto landing...but spent more than 30 seconds loitering out over the field getting ready. The best attempt he had almost hit a car and the building next door.

No, Chris didn't have a steerable nose wheel...and it was cocked off at an angle (towards the crowd). I think what was happening was the plane was weathervaning into the wind...AKA towards the crowd. Fun to watch though!
Old May 06, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Apr 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
No, Chris didn't have a steerable nose wheel...and it was cocked off at an angle (towards the crowd). I think what was happening was the plane was weathervaning into the wind...AKA towards the crowd. Fun to watch though!
Ya it was funny to see the crowd jump out of the way. Good thing it was a pusher prop.

Quote:
Hand launch was not autonomous. Plus Doug kept trying to get the 30sec bonus for auto landing...but spent more than 30 seconds loitering out over the field getting ready. The best attempt he had almost hit a car and the building next door.
I've got some video of that landing . It was a great try.

Quote:
Spend the $19 and get a Logitech F310. Unless the X-Box controller is a USB plug? I've never seen one....so I don't really know.
It does have a USB plug. When I plug it into a cpu it see's it as a game controller. I like that Logitech F310. I'll probably pick one up. Thanks for your help HK.

Cheers
Old May 07, 2011, 12:28 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Let me know how things work for you with the X-Box controller.

I need to make some changes to the "default" joystick settings. I'll try to post an update that makes things work smoother.... but for the moment, once you get into the calibrate screen. I would select "mode 2" at the top left and then make sure you hit the "X" to clear each axis' min, max and subtrim values. If you've already done the radio calibration, things should show up correctly...but with a "blank" EEPROM, the min and max are all 0....which is no good.