HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:52 AM
Joined Jun 2009
214 Posts
Happy,

I just wanted to say great work so far. I have a few quick questions.

I loaded up the release you posted before last nights, it works flawless. Hooked it up to my Ardupilot standalone with 5hz GPS and xbee for telemetry. Everything is working perfect, only thing I am not seeing is the GPS LOCKED and # of GPS satelites.

My assumption is that is being pulled in from OSD - I have not installed the OSD and connected it yet to the Ardupilot, or the IMU. I am using the original Ardupilot with thermopiles just to test your code.

Am I right in my assumption that those variables will enable once I complete hooking up the OSD ?

Great work to date, I had no problems getting the GCS up and running, it is FANTASTIC work and I look forward to assisting in testing and helping you further this great work.
mavacpjm71 is offline Find More Posts by mavacpjm71
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:05 AM
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavacpjm71 View Post
Everything is working perfect, only thing I am not seeing is the GPS LOCKED and # of GPS satelites.

My assumption is that is being pulled in from OSD - I have not installed the OSD and connected it yet to the Ardupilot, or the IMU. I am using the original Ardupilot with thermopiles just to test your code.
What type of GPS module are you using? Does the gps type show NMEA, SiRF, something else?
Entens is offline Find More Posts by Entens
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
Joined Jun 2009
214 Posts
EM 406a running NMEA out serial through XBEE to GCS with xbee on usb explorer.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
Joined Jun 2009
214 Posts
Also all data streams are coming in and being properly interpretted on the GCS side, so lat and long, airspeed, altitude, veritcal speed, etc... only thing I do not see is GPS locked in the variable, and # of GPS ?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavacpjm71 View Post
Also all data streams are coming in and being properly interpretted on the GCS side, so lat and long, airspeed, altitude, veritcal speed, etc... only thing I do not see is GPS locked in the variable, and # of GPS ?
If your getting everything else, then for some reason your GPS module might be returning some bad data for GPGGA messages. Are you getting a value for HDOP?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:58 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
The reason for no GPS lock is the ArduPilot ASCII messages currently do not include a variable for GPS lock, satellites, HDOP or UTC time from the GPS. I have made a request for all of them to be added but no response yet. I'm hoping to be a part of the developer's conference call this week to make this specific request. It's easy enough to edit the AP source, but you'd have to edit it every time there is a change. Let me know if you want to edit yours and I can post what you need.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:11 PM
Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
HappyK, thanks for continued support of your great GCS, I have followed your works since Remzibi-OSD, various data parsing fixes, ArduIMU testers, and Filght Sims from start, you have handled this misunderstanding in an honorable manor and deserve much respect, Keep on coding... You will prevail !
Maybe GPS messages need a standard and enhanced format that allows enhanced message when user needs the extra data sent, I have got numSV issues with ArduPilot, but now APM is working fine? finally I see Sat# in TM stream! I have tried to crack this nut with out success..
MacDev is offline Find More Posts by MacDev
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:15 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
1,976 Posts
You know, I am amazed and impressed at how you guys have handled this

misunderstanding. I wish all threads could go this way. Over on the FPV forum (where I

am usually) there have been some recent and rather nasty threads that didn't end this

way. I believe that many of us here are so like minded, in our interests and abilities and

hobbies that we would get along really well if we met in person, but since it is so easy

to "misread" what somebody means in a single post, we can easily end up clashing,

hashing and bashing each other. Anyway, back on topic! Happy, I have the Remzibi OSD

and have been flying FPV with it on my Stryker, and have really enjoyed it. I'm currently

attending college for an Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering and want to use the

OSD and Ardupilot for a college project to make the Stryker into a UAV. The college

project deadline is still a ways away (over a year from now) but it is never too early to

start!

1. How hard would it be to integrate these systems into the Stryker?

2. What hardware do I need to have your GCS running alongside the airframe with OSD?

3. I have no idea on how long it will take you to create a GCS like this and get it

polished and working correctly. Any ideas?

Thanks!
philthyy is online now Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
18 Posts
After a quick search of the ArduPilot code I'm pretty sure your looking for this section of GPS_NMEA.pde

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS_NMEA.pde
token = strtok_r(NULL, search, &brkb); //sats in use!! Nein...
token = strtok_r(NULL, search, &brkb);//HDOP, not needed
token = strtok_r(NULL, search, &brkb);//ALTITUDE, is the only meaning of this string.. in meters of course.
//alt_MSL = atoi(token);
//if(alt_MSL<0){
// alt_MSL = 0;
//}
current_loc.alt = (long)abs(atoi(token)) * 100;
if i'm right, then you need to change that to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS_NMEA.pde
token = strtok_r(NULL, search, &brkb); //sats in use!! used!!
NumSats = atio(token);

token = strtok_r(NULL, search, &brkb);//HDOP, not needed
token = strtok_r(NULL, search, &brkb);//ALTITUDE, is the only meaning of this string.. in meters of course.
//alt_MSL = atoi(token);
//if(alt_MSL<0){
// alt_MSL = 0;
//}
current_loc.alt = (long)abs(atoi(token)) * 100;
Of course, I have barley looked at the source. I'd be appreciative if someone could verify this change.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:30 PM
Joined Jun 2009
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
The reason for no GPS lock is the ArduPilot ASCII messages currently do not include a variable for GPS lock, satellites, HDOP or UTC time from the GPS. I have made a request for all of them to be added but no response yet. I'm hoping to be a part of the developer's conference call this week to make this specific request. It's easy enough to edit the AP source, but you'd have to edit it every time there is a change. Let me know if you want to edit yours and I can post what you need.
Thanks Happy, so its not on by default in the code. Would love to edit it and enable, let me know and thanks for building such an OUTSTANDING GCS. This is really state of the art work, and the whole community appreciates your outstanding work on this
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I'm short on time until later tonight. Here's a screenshot...see if you can spot what's new.

Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,041 Posts
I wish I could answer this question, but I'm definitely subscribing to see how this matures. Keep up the great work HK.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
What's new is the 3D models in Google Earth. I'm currently working on camera views while I wait on my new hardware! I hope to have a dozen or so models to choose from.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,636 Posts
HKM,

Nice work!

I am testing here the GCS (with some program crashes) with gpsemulator-Ardu and it is functional and working, using other gps simulators (NMEA sentences) the parser is failing "reading" or translating the data.
The integration with GE is working good, some how changing the type of gps data induces the program crash.

Again, nice work. Thanks for posting.
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:18 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
jmralves, look for a new update tomorrow. I'm going to start posting a compiled executable or if I have time, a full installer on my Google Code page (link to follow tomorrow). With .NET I don't have my auto-update routine working yet, but I'm hoping it won't take long to get everything back the way I had things in VB6.

I've made some changes and found some bugs with my sentences in the emulator and I continue to make changes to the GCS. I'm sorry that things are in such a state of flux but I keep adding functionality and changing things around. By the end of next week I hope to have the core functionality working so I can start to focus on ArduPilot Mega and AttoPilot.