HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
NJ
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Thanks for your help. I figured out the problem. 2 things one was the wrong firmware in atto and second the default baud rate was 4800. So it is working well with your program. The only thing wrong at the moment is it is not locking up on the GPS, which is most likely being in the house. All other parameters are reporting OK.
WA2TQI is offline Find More Posts by WA2TQI
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:29 PM
NJ
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Does the GPS query work with atto V2. I show locked on the GPS module but Not Locked in your program. Also no Battery info.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:10 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I can't be sure about V2. I'll have to take another look at the protocol. It's entirely possible I'm reading those wrong.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:14 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Paul

Enjoying flying with your GCS. The voice data is particularly useful booming from the back of the Land Rover. We still have an issue where if the setup menu is entered and exited, the GE API re-boots and sometimes the MAp tab dissapears altogether and we can't get it back.

One thing we would find very useful would be an NMEA output (I guess in the tracker output options) to a COM port. This way we could run other map applications on a second screen, like GE itself which will see NMEA on a COM port. This gives a backup to the GE API issue but also would allow position to be displayed relative to other other drawing layers, targets etc.

Keep up the awesome work.

Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:08 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
That's an interesting idea.... I know what you mean about going into the settings and coming back out...it does clear the flight path and if it doesn't recognize an internet connection, it will hide Google Earth....

I'll look into the NMEA output idea....and I still need to do a re-write on the Google Earth Javascript to fix problems like that one you see....

Do you happen to know which NMEA messages GE looks for? GPGGA and GPRMC or GPGGA and GPVTG?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:29 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
I am about to hookup the Atto to my Xbee modems but would first like to bench test with a FTDI cable.
Could anyone help me out how to hook it up correctly to the Atto?

And the latest GCS looks awesome!

/Björn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Are you trying to connect your FTDI directly to the Atto? I use one of my USB to serial connectors because it has individual .1" female connectors (like servo connectors but 1 instead of 3). You'll need Ground, TX and RX. TX goes to the inside of the Telem port. RX is in the middle. Ground is on the outside.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:23 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
OK, thanks - I am guessing the FTDI cable would work as well as any USB/Serial - I have few to choose between but wasn't sure if the FTDI would work. Now I just have to make up a new connector for it.

Bjorn
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:13 PM
NJ
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
I can't be sure about V2. I'll have to take another look at the protocol. It's entirely possible I'm reading those wrong.
Here are a few things that I have observed now that I have it all in the plane.
1. No GPS readout during polling. Lock light on GPS is showing a locked condition.
2. No Battery readout during polling.
3. This may not be something to do with your program>>>
On boot up of the Atto v2 in manual mode, I have almost no movement in any servo. If I go into config on your program and make a change to any parameter in config and write it, I now have full control of all servos until the next time I power down and reboot. Also thanks once again for your help in getting me going.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:02 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
WA2TQI,

Are you using the GCS with the Xbees or via cable?

AND maybe silly question, but I have a 5v FTDI cable and would this work with the Atto since I believe it expects 3.3v logical levels?

Thanks,
Björn
Last edited by icebear; Feb 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:50 AM
NJ
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
The USB I'm using is 5 volt TTL logic and it works just fine. My biggest problem was not knowing what the baud rate was in default on Atto v2. Which was 4800 N 8 1.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:54 AM
NJ
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
I forgot to mention I was going for the Xbee pro's for the modem but there seems to be a lot of chatter here about problems using them. I'm not ready just yet for the modems as I'm still in get it all in the plane mode. I had a Dragon RTL system in there so the install was pretty easy.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:28 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Quote:
The USB I'm using is 5 volt TTL logic and it works just fine. My biggest problem was not knowing what the baud rate was in default on Atto v2. Which was 4800 N 8 1.
OK, thanks a lot - I don't want to fry the equipment on the bench!

And I agree - better to take one thing at the time, I plan to do the testing w/o modems first and then add them when I have everything setup and working.

Thanks also for the default info!

/Bjorn
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:52 PM
NJ
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Atto V2 questions

Is anyone using the GCS with Atto V2? If so are you having any problems with no GPS or Battery data showing in the GCS.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
@icebear

i have a little photo wich show the connection between FDTI cable and atto without a modem....

Name: telem-FTDI-connection.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 81.0 KB
Description:

olli
fuzna is offline Find More Posts by fuzna