HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:37 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I'm sending the config variables directly to the EEPROM. You'll need to ask Chris about the specifics of the firmware requirements. I don't know what they're distributing, to whom and when.... I'm just doing some work on "the new stuff."

HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:21 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Paul is correct.

The GCS will work with limited functions for almost if not all V2.0-V3.0 owners with their current firmware.

To get full functionality of the GCS it will require an update.

For more information on the update, please send us an e-mail to : order@attopilotinternational.com

Thank you,

Chris
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
hello,

is there an option for use the new 2.0 WITHOUT telemetry ?

what is, when something goes wrong with xbeeīs ? its possible to config the atto with old method (config-file) ? or connect atto directly to the PC ?

olli
fuzna is offline Find More Posts by fuzna
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
You don't have to use the GCS for telemety...or have xbee's. I'm using a USB to serial connection here on my desk. You don't have to fly with it to update your variables and set your waypoints. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Dean is getting rid of the WP and Set.txt files on the SD card.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:10 AM
san diego,ca
Joined Jan 2006
242 Posts
Paul (HappyKillmore),

I will start by saying that your GCS is a great program and I have enjoyed following it through a few design iterations. On your current version though V1.2.2 there is a bug with the mission control tab. When the device is selected as Attopilot on vehicle 1, the software attempts to auto-update and read the waypoints off the ardupilot. If there is no Ardupilot connected or if the vehicle ID is different, it causes a continuous loop of "Read Failed, Attopilot vehicle 1 failed to respond to read request" I understand that there isnt full implementation for the attopilot yet but I figured I would let you know.

Thanks
Ben Mitchell
rclinks2002 is offline Find More Posts by rclinks2002
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:45 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I see what you mean. I'm 10 minutes from the next update... I've got it fixed. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:35 PM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
if i donīt have internet connection on field, i canīt connect my com port.. only if i see GE on the right side, the com-port-button comes.

itīs possible to switched off the right side (GE) and use the GCS only for displaying the data and config the atto ? (without GE)

the WP klick function looks great !

olli
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I'll have to look into that. All of the waypoint stuff is tied directly to GE... so I'll have to give that some thought. What operating system are you running? It should be able to open in the field...it works with my XP, but I've had one report of it not working on Vista.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:48 PM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
i use windows xp prof.

without i-net i becomes error message : "errors on page... display ? yes or no"

i can klick yes.then the GCS started.but until i see the GE picture the com-port is inactive.
for fast config or tuning the atto WITHOUT i-net on field would be a "GE off" switch great i think.without WP-function of curse.

olli
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I'll work on fixing the problem if GE isn't available, it will still let you do all the functions that are not GE related.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:53 AM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
i have a question to the altitude:

i have set in config "altitude offset = from home alt"

but if i fly i get the altitude over sea level in display and on speech.itīs possible to change that to the altitude over home ?

olli
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
The trouble is getting a reliable home altitude. All GPS units use altitude above sea level and most Auto Pilots respond with the data from the GPS. I think ArduPilot may be the only one that does the math before sending the altitude...but I'm not sure.

So the issue becomes where do I get the home altitude from? None of the Auto Pilots tell me when the "set home" button is pushed and none include a home altitude in any of their messages. So I'd have to ask Google Earth...which is questionable at best. I'm currently fighting with GE to try and draw the missions correctly. It seems that the altitude for a lat and long point sent to GE is a function of the camera angle (which makes no sense to me). So if I select to load a mission on the other side of the planet and set the home location and move the camera...then I make a request for the home altitude. If the camera is moving during the request or the gound image has not loaded yet, then I get completely bogus data. In once case, I was gettin -441 meters as an altitude. Then I would load the mission again (this time without camera swing) and it would save +9 meters....so that's a 450 meter difference when asking about the exact same lat and long point.

The only way I could make this happen is to add a "Set Home Altitude" type button on the GCS. That way, as I get the streaming data from the Auto Pilot or GPS, it could do the math to subtract the set home amount.... I've been trying to avoid having the user hit more buttons to make things work. I was hoping for just the connect button out in the field...but this isn't bad.

That was a long answer. When I started typing this, the answer was no...now the answer is yes... how odd.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:38 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzna View Post
i use windows xp prof.

without i-net i becomes error message : "errors on page... display ? yes or no"

i can klick yes.then the GCS started.but until i see the GE picture the com-port is inactive.
for fast config or tuning the atto WITHOUT i-net on field would be a "GE off" switch great i think.without WP-function of curse.

olli
Hi Paul

Tried to fly with it today but had this same problem (Win 7). Cached the area in the office and shut-down the application. When I re-launched at the site without internet there was an error related to Google Earth which prevented the GCS from having any functionality.

I see you are already working on a fix.

You're doing good stuff!

Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I just posted 1.2.10 with includes error trapping for the GE load failure when offline (I need to look into the reasons for this some more). I also have a new "None" selection for map source in the settings window which (just like when the GE load failure occurs) will allow you to run the program without an internet connection and without the GE window. I'm investigating including other cached maps in the program.

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:05 AM
germany - nds
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
now in 1.2.13 i can switch off the GE in the settings.after restart GCS GE is off... BUT also the com-port-button.it is deactivate.

if i switch the settings back to "on", com port is active.

olli