SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2003, 01:36 PM
Living Room Aviator
Joined Jun 2002
269 Posts
The Midge: 5.6 gram palm-sized living room three channel airplane

I've been pretty swamped at work, but slowly pieced together my fourth carbon fiber/mylar living room flyer (see my earlier posts on the Wisp, Gazer, and Cherub for the others). The goal of this effort was to create the smallest possible plane that could still fly in my living room. Based on the other three planes, I estimated that I could go down to about 6-7 inches of wingspan provided that I used a triplane configuration like I used in the Wisp, and provided that I kept the AUW below 6 grams. This would represent a wing loading level of about 0.5-0.6 oz./sq. ft., which in my experience is close to the limit for living room flight.

The wings are similar to those of the Wisp, with slightly altered aspect ratio and relative spacing. The rudder and elevator are the aesthetically-pleasing wrap around horns design that I used on my Cherub. The electronics are the Nick Leichty 3 channel 0.5 gram receiver, a pair of the awesome Didel Picobird actuators, a 40 mAh Kokam LiPoly, and the new Didel 0.2 mod 1:25 gearbox driven by a 4 mm short pager motor (also carried by Didel). I cut down and reshaped using heat a larger CF prop (originally from propmaster Gordon Johnson) into one that is 3.7" in diameter, and shaved it down to about 250 mg.

Final specs are:

5.6 g total AUW including battery
6.7" span
7" long
0.53 oz./sq. ft. wing loading
dubbed: The Midge

Even though it isn't fully tweaked, the Midge flies very well in my living room. It flies much faster than the Wisp, as theory would predict, but slow enough to handle in a 15' x 25' space (with furniture). It requires quite a bit of runway for a takeoff (6+ feet), in contrast with the 0.20 oz./sq.ft. Wisp, and can climb (or dive) much faster as well. It purrs like a Porsche with the new Didel gear box and motor! Crashes-- even horrific looking ones-- rarely do any damage at 5.6 grams of mass moving not very fast.

Tweaks I would like to do:
- The turning radius is too large (~ 4-5 feet), so I may try lengthening the tiny rudder (currently only about 0.6 sq. in.).

- The theoretical AUW including glue is about 5.4 grams, so I need to figure out how 200 mg snuck into the Midge and ditch the extra baggage.

I'll post movies as usual when I get the chance-- in the meantime, here are a few pictures:

-David

=============================================
The images in this thread have dissapeared as they were stored on a server that was hacked rather than uploaded to the Ezone. David has sent me one midge picture, which is less than the original four in this post. Since I cannot add a picture where there was not one before, I have added the picture David sent me in a new Post #29.
-- Gordon, 3/24/2004
drliu is offline Find More Posts by drliu
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Mar 24, 2004 at 08:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:27 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
FANTASTIC!!!

Look forward to the videos.

Michael (green with envy)
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jul 13, 2003, 03:21 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
Awesome as always, David. I expect nothing less from you.

-John
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:30 PM
Red Lake Falls, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jul 2003
152 Posts
WOW i've never really seen just how small micro flyers were!
red91sit2 is offline Find More Posts by red91sit2
Old Jul 13, 2003, 04:55 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Amazing David.

As per usual I am amazed by your work.
I just done know what to say!

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:32 PM
Crashmaster Extraordinair
Clarksville, TN
Joined Apr 2002
730 Posts
I think planes like this need their own forum. I am tired of having to wade through dozens of posts about 1000+ gram planes when im looking for info about <100 gram planes.
Sparr is offline Find More Posts by Sparr
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:57 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparr
I think planes like this need their own forum. I am tired of having to wade through dozens of posts about 1000+ gram planes when im looking for info about <100 gram planes.
HUH??

Most of the models discussed in this forum ARE under 100 grams.

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:09 PM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts

I never knew you cold make an RC plane to small and light!!

What will one of theres planes cost you? probly alot right?

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:47 PM
Las Vegas Realtor
Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2002
1,114 Posts
I'm envious. Nice job, Ralph.
Inari is offline Find More Posts by Inari
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:43 PM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
Ralph,
Like always, some great work there. I hope to be able to watch it at the next indoor fun fly.
Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill
Old Jul 14, 2003, 07:20 AM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,934 Posts
that is awesome, just remember to turn the fan off and don't sneeze!
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:13 PM
USA, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2002
1,902 Posts
Ralph,

Beautiful work as usual. Why do you use brass watch gears instead of the Didel nylon, and where or what kind of watches or clocks do you find them in? Thanks.

Dave
Dave Wulff is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wulff
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:22 PM
Zoom, zoom...
Roseville, CA (Sacramento area)
Joined May 2003
3,514 Posts
Both of those planes are very cool. I have a living room, dining room that is about 16 x 30 ft. One of these would be awesome! Hopefully I win DWE's contest so I can venture into this realm.
Trikster is offline Find More Posts by Trikster
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:13 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
I am really impressed!!!!! I just wish I had the money for Nick's equipment recievers and act.'s.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph B
Good luck with the contest.

Ralph, may I ask - what contest?

Has anybody ever had successful living-room flight with an RFFS? I am thinking something along the lines of the Midge, but from balsa, and with a little-bit larger wings to allow for my much heavier equipment.

-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:49 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Sure, Dave Robelen's "Walker" in the current issue of RCMF is one example. Note that since he used heavier equipment he scaled the plane way up. That would be hard to pull off with David's Midge sized plane since an RFFS with two DU actuators weighs ~3.7g or so. Also, David's first version of the Wisp flew with RFFS equipment if I remember correctly.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson