HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:41 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
F4U Corsair: The Cockpit, Pilot & Hatch Mod

Once again "Goofie" was excused and sent home. His replacement is the ESM WW II American pilot. Some serious surgery had to be done so he could fit in the cockpit.

To repaint the interior I first removed the blue paint with compressed air and a needle valve air gun. Once I got all the paint off I sprayed a coat of Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter CP199 to seal the foam. I then painted the interior glare shield with Krylon Semi-Gloss Black. The interior was airbrushed using Model Master Interior Green FS34151, and the seat with MM Leather. I then did a pin stripe down both sides to simulate some aluminum channel with MM Bright Silver. The canopy was tinted with Ritz Royal Blue.

I followed John/Allelectric's hatch mod and cut the forward cowling to open up the battery compartment. When I'm done with all the mods and ready to repaint the plane I'll secure the forward hatch to the cockpit with glue and a couple of CF rods and make it 1-piece. I'll retain the 2 magnets to hold the cockpit/hatch assembly in place, and make a retainer piece for the front of the hatch to secure it to the cowl so internal air pressure won't blow it off.

UP-DATE 11/21/2010: I've got the Battery Hatch mod done. I made a retainer plate for the front of the hatch to secure it in place. Because the lower foam lip at the front of the fuse was a little feeble, I made a 3/32" ply plate to reinforce that area and glued it in with GG.

I had to enlarge the battery compartment so it would accommodate the 5S 4000 Zippy I plan to use. I used the Hot Knife and carefully deepened the battery channel all the way forward to the firewall. This gives me a lot of room to move the battery back and forth to adjust for CG.

UP-DATE 1/04/2011: Now that the Marines Dream repaint is done I was able to finish up my Cockpit/Hatch mod. I epoxied the forward battery hatch to the cockpit module, and then reinforced them with two .10 x 3" CF rods.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 17, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts