HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:12 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Can't tell if you're kidding? This thread you started is about the Starmax B-17. Well, it's about the B-17 that BH carries, which ended up being the Starmax.
Ya your right guess Im confused about all these B-17's that are out. So I guess they make it in Nine O nine, Menphis Belle and Fuddy Duddy.
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Ya your right guess Im confused about all these B-17's that are out. So I guess they make it in Nine O nine, Menphis Belle and Fuddy Duddy.
No worries, it does get confusing.

Don't feel bad, I didn't even know they made schemes other than the Nin O Nine. But the only places I've found them are in Europe, I don't think there are any US shops that offer the Memphis Belle and Fuddy Duddy from Starmax.

Europe gets all the good stuff!
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Are you talking about this plane
Yes, exactly - but of course, that again is a picture of the real airplane, not the model. Starmax makes their B-17 in that colours scheme, too - and I usually like silver B17s best! But I'd like to see it before I buy it (HLC Shop in France has 2 in stock).

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcut2239 View Post
Nice set up Bug......I'm gonna copy your set up.... with your permission
Be my guest With it bolted to a clamp, it also works on motorcycles and the velcro holds fine to at least 120 mph
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,486 Posts
Well, with the free shipping deal and the current price of 259.90, I had to hit the buy button on the 79" B-17 at Banana Hobby this afternoon....

Lots of good info in the thread...I read a number of pages of it.

Ought to be a hit at our clubs (Fort Worth Thunderbirds) Warbird fly in this coming May!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,672 Posts
B-17 Fuddy Duddy (5 min 26 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklagges View Post
Yes, exactly - but of course, that again is a picture of the real airplane, not the model. Starmax makes their B-17 in that colours scheme, too - and I usually like silver B17s best! But I'd like to see it before I buy it (HLC Shop in France has 2 in stock).

Cheers,
Henrik
Banana Hobby now has Fuddy Duddy

B-17 Bomber Flying Fortress "Fuddy Duddy" "Bit O Lace" RC Flight Review with Pete in HD! (10 min 59 sec)
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Feb 2011
57 Posts
I saw that! Looks excellent. Was that a shock system I spotted in the pictures?

EDIT;
Yup, shocks and rubber tires. Awesome!
paindoc is offline Find More Posts by paindoc
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:20 AM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
ok i have to get this plane now in this scheme. fuddy duddy represents the 447 bg the bg my grandfather flew for. but i am sad to report. thursday he passed.
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird_cowboy View Post
ok i have to get this plane now in this scheme. fuddy duddy represents the 447 bg the bg my grandfather flew for. but i am sad to report. thursday he passed.

Banana Hobby is saddened to hear of your grandfathers passing. What an honor to know that he served our Country and was a part of this B-17's Legend. I get goose bumps to hear each time the impact some aircraft may bring to a family. Prayers and Blessings to your family in the days to come as you all hurt with this news. Take care and remember the good times.

Regards,

Pete
and
Banana Hobby Team
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cowboy of the skys
United States, Mt, Whitefish
Joined Oct 2010
1,065 Posts
thank you pete. i will defently purchase the fuddy duddy version when its released
warbird_cowboy is offline Find More Posts by warbird_cowboy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paindoc View Post
I saw that! Looks excellent. Was that a shock system I spotted in the pictures?
EDIT;
Yup, shocks and rubber tires. Awesome!
You are showing the wheels of the Freewing B-17 here. Fuddy Duddy is from Starmax.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
I had a little mishap. In the middle of the night, and for no apparent reason, my plane slid it's self off it's hanger and crashed to the floor. It snapped one of the wing tips, but no other damage. It's a clean snap, but there's a big dent on the leading edge. Time to get out the hair drier and some glue...sigh...

I have since revised my hanger and updated the post where I made it with the new design, it's super solid now, there is zero chance the plane can accidentally fall off now
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Jul 06, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Dhouge's pictures

Dhoug's B-17

I found some information on this scheme, not sure if this is accurate, maybe someone can confirm.

"B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B at Duxford, England. This aircraft doubled as the "Memphis Belle" when making the World War II movie "Memphis Belle" in 1991. A trick of movie makers is to paint one side of the aircraft with one set of markings, and paint the other side completely different. So that way it can act as two planes."
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Last edited by The Bandit; Feb 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:24 AM
Loveland, Oh
Joined Aug 2004
151 Posts
Help with wiring set up - aileron hinges

So I spent the time and attached all servo horns, tail wheel, and tail. I also had to reattach one of the servos for the bomb bay, it was completely off the plane as their glue did not hold to wood plate it was attached to. As a result I basically went around the entire airplane and checked and added glue where needed to insure all pre-attached parts were going to hold.

Getting the wood wing brace to fit was a pain, much sanding a little at a time but it fits nicely now.

I replaced the BEC with a new 10 amp Castle BEC wiring it to the same place they had their original wired.

I attached the Ch 3 Y Harness to both ESC's and placed on the throttle channel on the receiver. I then took the BEC connection and attached to AUX 2. After attaching the bind plug and the batteries my receiver won't power up (no flashing lights on the new out of the box Spektrum AR 7010 w/ satellite). Only get the constant beep of the motors.

So here are my questions:
-First do I have it wired correctly as described above?
-Does it matter if the red wire on the CC BEC is removed or not? Original wiring with provided BEC did not remove the red wire. I have tried it both ways makes no difference. Castle says to remove but is that in all situations 1 motor or multiple such as this application.
-Does it matter which motors are connected to which ESC. They are numbered in series so I don't know if 2 goes to 3 and 4 to 5 or exactly if it matters at all. I do know the red plugs are a %$#@! to keep pulling apart as I was testing to see if I could get it to power up.
-Can anyone share any other wiring connection advice. I have built many an electric plane, even some with poor instructions, but with this many wires/motors I'd like to get it right the first time. Far too many variables to keep trying so any guidance or diagram would help a great deal.

Also their is a bag of robart type pin hinges for the ailerons. For those already flying this plane did you use these? Also did you glue in the tail or just use the provided screws. Manual says to glue but I think it should hold with the screws and then if needed you can pull to replace the rudder servo.
Would love some help today from anyone. It's Sunday and it's the only day of the week I can really build.
Thanks in advance.
Tigerbug
tigerbug is offline Find More Posts by tigerbug