HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:19 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
Discussion
Why I will never purchase anything from Ark Models.

They have taken a picture of a cruiser built by Duane Curtis from a Scale Shipyard semi-kit and are passing it off as their own work. They even have the stones to put their name over the photo - stolen from my website - probably to prevent copying.

I personally will never do business with them. Ever.

Here is the proof:

Their post:

http://arkmodel.en.alibaba.com/produ...trol_Ship.html

Gallery 14 from Warship Models Underway; scroll down to USS Anzio by Duane Curtis.

http://wmunderway.8m.com/gallery14/gallery14.htm

The image in question:

and Ark's photo

By seaphoto at 2010-11-05

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Last edited by seaphoto; Nov 06, 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:05 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,384 Posts
Wow they have no shame!! Thieving morons !! Their Reputation speaks for itself!! They have no scruples at all. I would never buy something from them due 2 the volumes of complaints against them, there R much better model suppliers (APSmodels, fleetscale and SSY 2 name afew) around than them it might take longer 2 build (more scratch building involved) but at least the product will turn up!!

Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:53 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
like i tell people.....BUY AMERICAN !!!!

JOE
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:26 PM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Sep 2009
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desron48 View Post
like i tell people.....BUY AMERICAN !!!!

JOE
only american
jerry orfano is offline Find More Posts by jerry orfano
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:45 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
I am not saying buy American only - in fact, I have my eye on that tug Dean's Marine posted a week or so ago, and have built several other kits from English companies, purchased parts from Germany, and books and plans from all over. There are many honest vendors out there, and the Internet age has made it possible to find unque products that we couldn't even dream of years ago.

What I do strongly feel is that you should only buy from people who honestly represent their products. Grabbing a photo of a model built by a talented builder off the net and passing it off as your product is wrong on so many levels. Personally, I won't reward that behavior with my business.

Kurt
Old Nov 06, 2010, 01:59 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,384 Posts
Yup that sums it up !! Buy anywhere else BUT ARK!!!!!!!!! Buy OZZIE, POM or Yank just not Ark!!
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Nov 06, 2010, 05:58 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Sep 2009
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphoto View Post
I am not saying buy American only - in fact, I have my eye on that tug Dean's Marine posted a week or so ago, and have built several other kits from English companies, purchased parts from Germany, and books and plans from all over. There are many honest vendors out there, and the Internet age has made it possible to find unque products that we couldn't even dream of years ago.

What I do strongly feel is that you should only buy from people who honestly represent their products. Grabbing a photo of a model built by a talented builder off the net and passing it off as your product is wrong on so many levels. Personally, I won't reward that behavior with my business.

Kurt
Kurt your 100% right I buy from modeldock yard, cornwall boats, john haynes,scaleship yard (lee) westcoast warship services (joe) and others and never had a problem with any of them i never bought from ark model their ship kits look nice but I'll refrain from ordering from there

Jerry
Old Nov 06, 2010, 06:57 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,571 Posts
Even without the plagiarism, you'll find enough negatives posted about ARK to stay FAR away...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:20 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Sep 2009
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
Even without the plagiarism, you'll find enough negatives posted about ARK to stay FAR away...
you know Patmat your right stay far away hell i have nothing against the company but too many negatives don't add to +++++ I'll just deal with the company's already have very happy with them

ya know anybody with a 1/48th class flower class hull for sale

Jerry
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:48 AM
Leesburg, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2008
212 Posts
Jerry:

Fleetscale has a couple of Flower class hulls in 1/48. http://www.fleetscale.co.uk/system/index.html Let me know if you are interested and I can order one next time I place an order with them. That way we can combine orders to cut down shipping costs. I'll be in NY at the end of May 2011.
admiralbb62 is offline Find More Posts by admiralbb62
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:52 AM
USA, NY, Brooklyn
Joined Sep 2009
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralbb62 View Post
Jerry:

Fleetscale has a couple of Flower class hulls in 1/48. http://www.fleetscale.co.uk/system/index.html Let me know if you are interested and I can order one next time I place an order with them. That way we can combine orders to cut down shipping costs. I'll be in NY at the end of May 2011.
Okay I'll let you know i'm turning a couple of hulls in my head at this time not sure i was talking to Joe @ westcoat warship services he made a couple of suggestions but i'll let ya know

Jerry
Old Nov 06, 2010, 12:23 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
449 Posts
How refreshing! Another Chinese company stealing from someone else and calling the product their own.
I saw recently that China had passed a new law that requires foreign companies making products in China to share their patents and technologies with China. Why steal secrects when you can legally force a company to turn them over?
Maybe... companies will wise up and realize that they had a good thing manufacturing at home. Then again , maybe not.
Don't buy made in China.
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Nov 06, 2010, 02:28 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
Never leave 'em with 'plausible deniability..."

Screen Captures...
  1. From Warship Models Underway 2010-11-06 11:30
  2. From Arkmodels - Top of page 2010-11-06 11:30
  3. From Arkmodels - Bottom of page 2010-11-06 11:30

(ps. This is "Fair use!")

(Maybe they think they're Cooks Source and will ask for compensation for improving the photograph with their watermark... )

Herrmill's 'CAVEAT EMPTOR' thread
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 06, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:32 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
well, if I were to buy a warship, i would go for kurt's, loyal hannah OR sirmar, and wouldnt touch arky on principle, I have heard too many horror stories about his trading (or lack there of) practices.

I like to pay my cash and GET A PRODUCT, and know I WILL HAVE CUSTOMER SUPPORT from the company.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:45 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost 2501 View Post
well, if I were to buy a warship, i would go for kurt's, loyal hannah OR sirmar, and wouldnt touch arky on principle, I have heard too many horror stories about his trading (or lack there of) practices.

I like to pay my cash and GET A PRODUCT, and know I WILL HAVE CUSTOMER SUPPORT from the company.
Just to be clear, I don't have a dog in this hunt. I don't sell models or parts, and in the past have encouraged Ark to utilize my own free forum to make product announcements. My model site exists only to promote the hobby, no matter where in the world people are or where they buy their kits, parts or supplies.

I do have a business selling warship photos (hence "Seaphoto"), my own books, and calendars, but that is all. Oh, and I wash cars too.

Kurt