SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2008
88 Posts
Discussion
From UM T-28 to a T-28D

Hey guys, I've been flying the UMs for about a year now. I started with a P51 which was too fast for my liking. Moved to a Champ and grew bored of it fast. I've had the T-28 UM for about a month now and love the thing. Question is would jumping to a T-28D be too big of a transition? I can fly the UM fine and with confidence. Has anybody else made that transition?
LiqrSicc is offline Find More Posts by LiqrSicc
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
47 Posts
Hey LiqrSicc

I'm curious myself I have yet to maiden My T-28 Trojan just curious what other Members think will be following this thread
RCGIJOE09 is offline Find More Posts by RCGIJOE09
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:26 PM
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Oct 2008
558 Posts
Having flown a whole bunch of both, I would think it might be safe. In my opinion, the bigger the planes are, the easier they are to fly. However - and it's a big however - they also hit much harder and are less tolerant of abuse. For example, if you every once in a while dumb thumb it into a cartwheel landing, or pull out of a loop too low, or anything where the planes hits unexpectedly, I would say to be catious of the big Trojan.

Put it this way - the bigger planes are easier to fly once in the air. They are also easier to damage when hitting the ground. What the micro Trojan would shake off as a "bad landing", the big one might break.

Kyle
kylewoody is offline Find More Posts by kylewoody
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGIJOE09 View Post
Hey LiqrSicc

I'm curious myself I have yet to maiden My T-28 Trojan just curious what other Members think will be following this thread
Yeah me too. I was going to pick one up tonight to fly at the new field they have in Lincoln. I think I'm going to research it more before I make the jump.

Kyle, thanks for the input. I find my UM very relaxing in flight. Gliding in to land is super easy, there's enough punch to get me out of trouble, and I can fly at a low speed. Not too sure if I would consider myself a beginner or intermediate. I can do rolls and fly inverted for a good distance. I'm pretty relaxed flying the UM compared to my previous heli's. If the big brother has the same characteristics as the UM then I'm sold and shouldnt have a problem learning to fly it.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:24 PM
They took the bar
Arizona
Joined Aug 2007
232 Posts
subscribed... I started with the Champ, went to the UM T-28. Flying the heck out of it now. I purchased a "big" T-28D via Craigslist. Haven't tried it yet. Waiting until I feel I've mastered the UM T-28.

I'm going to take it out in a couple weeks. Go with a dual rate set at 60/70%, with expo's around 25-30%. Just until I get over the jitters.
javelina is offline Find More Posts by javelina
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2008
88 Posts
Last edited by LiqrSicc; Nov 05, 2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: mistake
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
88 Posts
Hopefully we get more that chime-in!

Ended up ordering one a few minutes ago but I probably wont fly it until I get a little more feedback.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:16 PM
love me that purple drank
St.Louis MO
Joined Feb 2010
13 Posts
i own one and it the smoothest and relaxing plane i have, i did notice that mine doesnt like to fly inverted to great but with a lil practice it will do it all day. i had a lil dumb thumb while flying inverted and now its unflyable. we'll see how long that last till i get it fixed
opie99 is offline Find More Posts by opie99
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:32 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Go for it guys! I started with the Champ. Destroyed a few foamies and then bought the T-28D. I am flying buddy boxed with a trainer but basically he just stands there and watches me fly. For me the tough part of flying the T-28 after flying the Champ is landing. The T-28 flies MUCH faster than the Champ but you'll find in the right wind conditions she'll float in just a slow and smoothly as the Champ. If you're comfortable with your UM T-28 then you should be find with it's bigger brother.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:32 AM
RC Man Child!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Mar 2010
205 Posts
Hey guys,
I just finished up a review on this little t-28. Please check it out if you want to see some HD video of her flying and my thoughts on it. Thumbs up and Subb if you like it.
Reviewing parkzone's Micro T-28 trojan (9 min 8 sec)

enjoy!!!
dhdsracer is offline Find More Posts by dhdsracer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:48 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,083 Posts
My humble opinion is this. The mini one flies just like the big one. I like them both. I got one mini to repair. I got the stab cut at the JR Indoor. Other than that, I like both of them and they are a hoot to fly in formation.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
You all know about the fact that when big one's hit, they get damaged, micro ones, will take some abuse, but it has already been said, same kind of hit, big or little, damage will occur.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:04 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,049 Posts
I fly the micro p-51, and the micro sukhoi. If you can fly the 4 channel micro's you should not have any problems flying the full size T-28. It is a really good flying plane and will handle the wind a lot better than the smaller planes. You will need a fairly larger field though. It can cover a lot of area fairly quick. Just remember you can back off on the throttle! Landing are a bit different compared to the micro's. You will need to actually land this one.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:11 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,049 Posts
Additionally the T-28 is a pretty durable and easy to fix plane.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:21 AM
Joined Sep 2007
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Additionally the T-28 is a pretty durable and easy to fix plane.
Heck yeah, I dumb thumbed it last weekend flying inverted: straight into the ground at WOT. Wing separated from fuse tearing the wing saddle in the process. The prop was bent like a pretzel.

New prop. Some glue and she'll be good to go again this weekend.

NJ.
norbert_jones is offline Find More Posts by norbert_jones
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:45 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
732 Posts
I agree with Kyle above. The big T-28 is actually easier to fly once in the air, if you allow big enough space for it. The big one would seem like it flies in slow motion if you are used to the UM T-28.
Notable major differences (improvement) of the big T-28 are:
1. better wind penetration
2. better inverted flight stability, less down elevator required, less self-righting tendency
3. better glide ratio, can maintain power-off shallow glide to landing, may require a bit more approach planning compared to the UM.
4. Easier to knife edge

Bottom line, if you can consistently take-off, land and fly the UM T-28 without mishap then you shouldn't have trouble transitioning into the big T-28, provided you fly in a big enough field and allow 3 mistakes high for aerobatics initially.

Good Luck!
turbinefancy is online now Find More Posts by turbinefancy