SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:56 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
826 Posts
I think, I am getting addicted to the edfs.
When I go out with the planes, jet flies the most.

Did anybody tried to hand launch turbo jet yet?

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilDahl51 View Post
Check these out I ordered these for my Cruiser. They should also work well with the Turbo Jet.

http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...dProduct=12883

I ordered 4 because of the reviews. I have tortured them through over 100 cycles and all 4 are smooth as silk. I have been testing with my DX8, plug them in and they work first time on AR600 and HK orange 6 CH.

Check Dyam Cruiser thread for modification to be able to steer nose unit.

Very pleased with mine cannot wait to get installed.

Neil
yes these are the ones i use. they work great. im currently trying to figure out a better steering situation. the way i did it of of the grand cruiser thread works fine, until you are on a take off roll out that you really feel the slop. but yes these retracts work great, no problems at all.
stout890 is offline Find More Posts by stout890
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:01 AM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
826 Posts
After yesterdays flying in pretty heavy winds, I had to come up with breaks on my jet. Flying is no problem, but landing is, when runway become too short due to high landing speed. (hard part is I am using AR6110e rx) The way I did it, I had to install servo reverser for one flap servo and couple of mixes in DX8.
In flaps position 2, which is like 150%, plus gear switch in 1 ailerons become spoilerons at max deflection and elevator goes down to the max.

Lets hope I don't engage the breaks before wheels are on the ground.

If the weather holds up I get to try it first thing in the morning on the way to work.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:42 AM
RAVENNA, OH
Joined Apr 2007
26 Posts
Got the Changesun retracts from HK. in the wings. When I flip the gear switch on RDS6000, one retract comes down immediatley,the other is delayed like 3-4seconds. They both retract at the same time...Any ideas what's causing the delay?....I have EPA set to 150% on both sides of switch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
snowsucks is offline Find More Posts by snowsucks
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:07 AM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
826 Posts
I was able to fly it 3 times this morning. First 2 flights were nothing, but touch and goes. What a difference with the brakes. I easily lost 1/3 to 1/2 of runway.
I had to fudge the numbers some more in the mixes to get the most of breaks with the least of lift. I also changed the Gear mix. I was able to keep 2 flap position for landing and take off if I want to use it. With Gear 1 I get max flaps, max spoilers and max down elevator.
Now I'll try to do pull-pull on front gear to get rid off free play.

I am now like one step away from retracts.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2011, 08:01 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsucks View Post
Got the Changesun retracts from HK. in the wings. When I flip the gear switch on RDS6000, one retract comes down immediatley,the other is delayed like 3-4seconds. They both retract at the same time...Any ideas what's causing the delay?....I have EPA set to 150% on both sides of switch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Snow - just got mine installed in this bird also. You might want to try lowering your EPA to 100% and try that. I had the same issue, the left main would delay or not come down at all. I had my BEC set to 6 volts, and when I changed it back to 5 volts, the problem was solved. They now work flawlessly.

Good luck!
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old May 02, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Sep 2009
57 Posts
Hi all,
I can't find any comment or review that mention the problem with control horns on rudder and right elevator. If you turn right with the rudder and apply some down elevator, the horns almost hook on to each other.

Is it only my plane with that problem. One solution would be to move the right elevator horn 1 cm to the right, but I want to know if you guys have any ideas.

Regards,
Lenny
Lennyluger is offline Find More Posts by Lennyluger
Old May 02, 2011, 03:11 AM
Joined Aug 2007
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyluger View Post
Hi all,
I can't find any comment or review that mention the problem with control horns on rudder and right elevator. If you turn right with the rudder and apply some down elevator, the horns almost hook on to each other.

Is it only my plane with that problem. One solution would be to move the right elevator horn 1 cm to the right, but I want to know if you guys have any ideas.

Regards,
Lenny
yeah sorry lenny, my airframe doesnt do that. i think you should give em a readjustment.
stout890 is offline Find More Posts by stout890
Old May 05, 2011, 10:22 AM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyluger View Post
Hi all,

Regards,
Lenny
Lenny,

I did notice that, but like you said its almost.
I just trimmed the wire right at the horn. I figure screw head wont catch too hard, wire on the other hand......

Last few days been great for flying. Maybe little cold, but you can't have everything.
My separate batteries per motor setup still going strong. I wonder how you guys are doing running on one battery pack. Must be hard on them. My packs get worm, but nothing I would worry about.
I was wondering if those electronics could take 4 cell battery.
I am getting some for my other jet and I just might try them in Turbo Jet.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 01:51 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,050 Posts
Hi all. Just rcvd my Turbojet from Nitroplanes and it looks great! I haven't started assembling it yet, but have a couple of questions before I begin I hope I can get some advice for.

What is a good glue for the wings/stabs? I've used 5 minute epoxy on my Apprentice wings, and while they held OK, they were assisted by plastic 'boots' which adhered around the leading and trailing edges of the wing out beyond where the rubber bands hold it on. I finally had a nose-in crash, and the wing came right in half at the glue joint. I was able to pretty easily peel the rest of the glue by hand, so I'm not sure it's a great choice for the Turbojet?

For those that have installed flaps, I don't think I have much choice with my Dx6i but flaps up or down, no in-betweens. So I was wondering about how many degrees of flaps you guys are using? Also, how much is pitch being affected by the flaps, so thats not a huge surprise?

Thanks in advance.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,865 Posts
Although some others have not been happy with epoxy on these foam planes; I've used 30 minute epoxy on all of my Dynams (I've had 6). Never had a problem and the bonds seem very strong. I also like the few minutes additional working time; but it does require a good 12 hours or more for full strength.

The rudder/elevator control horn interference noted above occurrs on some of these but can ususally be corrected by slight repositioning.

The fans will probably be out of balance and might be rubbing the casing. This can be corrected with a little adjustment and balancing.

The compression strut used on the front gear is prone to break. And it usually has lots of play in the steering axis resulting in imprecise steering. This strut is used in several different Dynam planes and nearly always causes trouble. I've epoxied the outer casing to the inner rod on one of mine but managed to get a couple to work ok.

I'm not using flaps so couldn't comment on the pitch effect. The plane lands very nicely without them and I just haven't bothered with the installation.

I've logged 23 flights on mine and find it to be one of the nicest, easiest flying jets available.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jun 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:03 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,050 Posts
Thanks for the reply dbc.

Both fans on mine were rubbing. Just removed and re-installed the left one, and now it's fine. ( ) I found the mount holes for the motor, yes, the motor!, were off center in the RH unit. I just wallowed out the holes in the fan shroud/mount in the appropriate direction, and it's OK now, too.

Thanks for the epoxy input, too. I'm using isopropyl alcohol to clean surfaces before glueing, painting, stickering, so I think that will help, too.

Another thing I realized was there's no spar between the 2 wing halves. I think I found the right size aluminum tube, and will try to attach it to the existing spars in the seperate wings.

The other tips will be usefull, too. Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Just ordered one, hope it arrives in good shape. Will give it a custom paint job and have ordered retracts. Is this one hand launchable or should I just wait for the retracts ?
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
Foamy Pilot
United States, CA
Joined Jun 2011
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGI CRAZEE View Post
I have done it, I installed the same retracts in my turbo jet, 1st I put the retract in it's bay, then i made a mark where the wheel centers in the well, then i clamped a vise grip on the mark at the side toward the retract box,then i grabbed the other side with a pair or pliers and bent it 90 degrees down toward the wing, I put the wheel on as far as it would go, and put a collar on then i cut off the excess wire off with my Dremel tool.I got pretty lucky and bent all three to the same height. take your time you only get one shot to get it right.... good luck with it R/C//FLYR
Got any pics of your plane you can post?
AJ5000 is offline Find More Posts by AJ5000
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,050 Posts
Mine's almost ready. (I'm a slow builder...) But I have one question, did you guys set to the recommended control throws, or just fly as-is out of the box? Just for the rudder, I've already moved in one hole on the rudder control horn, and I don't think it's half way to the recommended setting yet. Now that I'm thinking about it, it looks like an awful lot of throw. Hmm, a case of a bad manual, maybe?

Edit: Cancel that, I made a goof in my radio setup! All good now!
Last edited by xmech2k; Jul 04, 2011 at 04:41 PM.