HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Sure wish they had a Batteries for Dummies book Thanks.....
Ta-daaa!!!

Everything You Wanted to Know About Electric Powered Flight

Go to post 10.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,412 Posts
[QUOTE=rcflyinff;23966596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
3300/40C in mine also

You defiantly want a higher C rating than 20 for a ducted fan.[/QUOTE

I thought I'd stick with the 2200mAH but raise the C rating to a 40. Does the higher C rating mean it will discharger at a slower rate, resulting in maybe a little more run time? I'm getting mixed suggestions from other guys I fly with. They say to stick with the 2200 so I can run in my other planes and just up the C. Sure wish they had a Batteries for Dummies book Thanks.....
What dbc said. If you want a longer flight time with your Turbo jet, a 3000mAh battery is a good choice, you'll just need to place the battery a little further back in the fuselage for correct balance. Always use a higher C rating with ducted fans, 30c at a minimum. You can use the lower C rated batteries but the will die an early death. You can still use your high C rated batteries in your prop planes.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmodeler View Post
Last night went down and added some CF to the tail to try to avoid all that flex. The stab and fin now have 1/16" x 1/8" CF spars. The stab spars extend about 1" in to the other side, then epoxy fill to bind together, the fin extends thru the fuselage and out the bottom. All CF is held in with superglue. This stiffened up the tails quite a bit, but if I did it again I would use a taller CF spar, maybe 1/16" x 3/16" or more. Overall, the next area of flex is the fuselage itself as it tapers down in the back. With the cold in NE Ohio right now it will be a while before it flies again to see if this helps.
Jim
I added some carbon fiber spars to my turbo twin. I used a 3/16 of an inch carbon fiber tube down the length of the fin right through to the bottom of the fuselage. I also added two short carbon fiber rods from underneath. This seems to stiffen things up rather nicely.

When it came to the stabilizer I used thinner rods and put one on the top and one on the bottom. I've done this several times on different foam wings using spars as thin as 1/16 of an inch. If you position them directly above each other you get a very strong result. I would have done the same on the fin, but I had already painted it and applied the decal.

Everything feels very strong and stiff. I will report back once I have flown the airplane. I was trying to fix a mild bouncing of the stab from the static thrust of my Dons wicked turbo units! I had not thought of trying to do a knife-edge with this airplane--but we shall see!!!!

Regards Eric.

PS. I just "typed" this with Dragon software that my daughter gave me for Christmas. If there are any errors you can blame my accent...
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Did 3 flights on mine today, on the 3rd flight I noticed it was turning slower but didnt think much of it, on landing I saw that my right aileron's rod was missing! So it was flying on the left aileron only!
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:13 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
Did 3 flights on mine today, on the 3rd flight I noticed it was turning slower but didnt think much of it, on landing I saw that my right aileron's rod was missing! So it was flying on the left aileron only!
If I was a passenger, I would have freaked..!!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:23 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
110 Posts
Haha, still managed to fly pretty good too, I only do scale flying with this plane with some high G turns, no loops or rolls (at least not yet)
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:49 PM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
660 Posts
Hello everyone!!!! I have had my dynam jet for almost a half year now and have loved every second with it. I am wanting to make it a little more scale. I was wanting to hear anyones opinions on getting spoilers onto this thing. Anyone have any designs that have used to put spoilers into this thing! Thanks
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Recommended flap position

I've had the TurboJet for a few months now, and I cannot seem to find a good balance between flaps, and landing speed. CG is at recommended location. I have flaps mapped to my 3 position switch and have experimented with different flap positions for landing, but can't seem to find the sweet spot. The manual doesn't really specify how much travel the flaps should have. Can anyone out there who has configured flaps for this bird give me a pointer. Thanks.
skykingjwc is offline Find More Posts by skykingjwc
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:49 AM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skykingjwc View Post
I've had the TurboJet for a few months now, and I cannot seem to find a good balance between flaps, and landing speed. CG is at recommended location. I have flaps mapped to my 3 position switch and have experimented with different flap positions for landing, but can't seem to find the sweet spot. The manual doesn't really specify how much travel the flaps should have. Can anyone out there who has configured flaps for this bird give me a pointer. Thanks.
It's strange but I have tried flaps at 100% and at 0% and have not noticed any appreciable lift. I think the flap surface area as compared to the whole wing is either too little or the overall plane aerodynamics dictate otherwise. But it's still way too cool to have them work! It's a great little bird and I can't wait for good weather!!
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,789 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing pretty much. Unless it's really windy, the flaps really don't seem to do much as far as I can tell. When really windy, she wants to float and balloon too much, so I just don't use them in higher winds. I landed once when I thought I had flaps down but they weren't, and I couldn't tell the difference.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:06 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,457 Posts
just got my turbo jet and going to get it ready for FPV use.

not into the scale stuff but the plane interests me enough to give it a shot for FPV usage even though EDF's are horribly inefficient.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:14 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,457 Posts
Ready to maiden! FPV style!

Dynam Turbo Jet FPV Test. (2 min 45 sec)
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:56 AM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
660 Posts
Hey everyone. So I nosed my turbo jet into the ground. I hate looking at the thing all glued up so I went out and bought a new fuselage. Well i have come across an issue that I can not seem to figure out..... The way, as many of you know, the elvecator works is by using to push roads that connect to one servo. Well I cant seem to find a way to make both sides travel the same distance. I put it into the last to holes closes to the servo and one will travel further then the other making one elevator move more then the other. Could some please advise what I am doing wrong! Thanks
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Old Mar 23, 2013, 01:22 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,789 Posts
IIRC, there was a gizmo on the servo arm, similar to the ones out on the control horns, that both pushrods would go through(In the same hole), then you used a set screw to hold them in place. I'd have to see mine to be sure, but that kinda looks like what's getting pictures in the manual.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:53 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
Unequal rod throw is inherent in this design. You can mostly correct it by placing the rod clevises in different holes on the elevator horns. Farther out for the longer travel rod, and one hole closer in on the other side for the rod with less travel.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc