HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
441 Posts
CF spar

Do you all feel the CF round or flat stock is better to add as a spar? Flat on edge seems easier to install.
rcflyinff is offline Find More Posts by rcflyinff
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Do you all feel the CF round or flat stock is better to add as a spar? Flat on edge seems easier to install.
I used round hollow CF on mine (3 or 4mm). Its strong and works nicely but I think the flat is easier to install and looks nicer and probably functions just as well.
captain MoMo is online now Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
441 Posts
Pilot figure

Anyone ever put a pilot & co-pilot inside? If so, what size fits? Thanks.......
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
I also used a very small (but strong and better than nothing), hollow rod, I cut a slit, pushed it in then covered it lightly with 5 min epoxy, I also added the 3M shipping tape (strong tape) to the area where the 2 wings meet and on the outer edges of the wing to help with additional flex.
Donnyd21 is offline Find More Posts by Donnyd21
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
441 Posts
Eric, very nice paint job! Mind if I use it? Wanted to use red, but don't want to be a copy cat. What paint did you use? Did you prep the surface before painting? I will be adding the spars. How does the short one tie into the longer ones? Just with CA? Thank you......
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Eric, very nice paint job! Mind if I use it? Wanted to use red, but don't want to be a copy cat. What paint did you use? Did you prep the surface before painting? I will be adding the spars. How does the short one tie into the longer ones? Just with CA? Thank you......
It's cool--I copy all of the time by definition of what we do in this hobby.

I like scale renditions, but with these smaller models ( I like to fly 100" plus most of the time), they need higher visibility for my eyes. When they get "out-there" I like bright orange or fluorescent colors somewhere on the airplane, especially on the long base to final landing legs for these EDF floaters.

It is a good idea to clean this foam with some alcohol to get rid of that slippery feeling before you paint. A neat rick to avoid any color bleading is to spray some clear on your taped lines first. Let it dry and then apply the colors.

I used Testers enamel on this foam. It drys pretty quickly, likes to stick and can be readily touched up when needed.

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
Eric, so you spray clear coat down first or just on the actual tape itself before painting?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyd21 View Post
Eric, so you spray clear coat down first or just on the actual tape itself before painting?
What you do is lay down the masking tape and then prior to painting with your color, you lay down a light coat of clear. This will seal the tape line and prevent the paint from bleeding under the tape.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
What you do is lay down the masking tape and then prior to painting with your color, you lay down a light coat of clear. This will seal the tape line and prevent the paint from bleeding under the tape.
A above -- It does not really matter if you paint the whole area, as long as you get all of the edges that are defined by the tape. With this method you can use blue masking tape on this and less smooth foam and get pretty good edge definition.

Also, I stole the left over (from Xmas turkey duty) aluminium foil and used that as a mask for the large areas. It handles well and can be easily molded around compound curves. The best part is that it is easy to tear off before you remove the tape detail itself. I have used brown paper, newspaper, paper towel, clingwrap etc. but the ali foil is now my favorite for spraying, because it does not lett any over spray through and it is easy to remove and crunch up in the trash can!

I will replace what I "borrowed" from the kitchen and buy a roll or two for myself to make sure I make it through 2013....

It's Happy New Year In Adelaide already--waiting to call my Navy boy and his bride in Tokyo in 1-1/2 hours time -- Happy New year to everyone worldwide when it happens....

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:29 AM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
441 Posts
Happy New Year!!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
The Testors paint worked great, even said it could be used on styrofoam on the can, cleaned with rubbing alch. and then sprayed a light coat of clear, dry, then red on the bottom of the wing, it did not eat the foam and looks great. I did hold the can a good 14-16" off the wing and just let the paint "fall" onto the area that I wanted painted.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
How do you guys get the impeller off? I took the screw out and pulled on them pretty hard but cant get them off, any tircks?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:30 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,654 Posts
The easiest way I found was with a pair of small Craftsman pry bars. No kidding. They look like miniatures of the ones used to open large wooden crates. You can work them in at an angle behind the center hub of the fan so your not prying on the blades, which will get damaged real easy.

Craftsman 5-1/2" pry bar

I know, not something everyone has laying around, but it's what I found works.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:46 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
The easiest way I found was with a pair of small Craftsman pry bars. No kidding. They look like miniatures of the ones used to open large wooden crates. You can work them in at an angle behind the center hub of the fan so your not prying on the blades, which will get damaged real easy.

Craftsman 5-1/2" pry bar

I know, not something everyone has laying around, but it's what I found works.
I did have a set of those, but couldn't find them when i needed them,
I bent a 1/8" wire so it looks like "U" with hooks toward inside. So far so good, countless fans taken apart with no damage.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.6 Competition Pro REF
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:08 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Hey, I am having trouble cycling the stock retracts on the plane. It is as though there is a sequencer with delay in them now. The nose gear comes down 3 secs later then the main, and the one of the mains does not come down for a bit or at all... Do I need to reset something on the plane? My Transmitter (Optic 6 2.4hz)? Or just buy some replacement retracts?

Thanks,

Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93