Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:49 AM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
I have maidened my plane however on take off as I apply throttle, the plane gets squirlly. I have the retract version, wheels.are smooth. Are the motors spooling up.a.different speeds? I don't hear it. What upgraded 3's capible motors and fan do you all reccomend?

The ground.control stinks, hope I can solve it.

Thanks,
Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:58 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,847 Posts
Did you 'calibrate' the throttles? Should be documented in the ESC paperwork, if you got any. Standard stuff. Turn on xmttr, put throttle to full, plug in plane, wait for a series of beeps(But not too long or you enter programming mode), move throttle to idle, you should hear the regular arming tones at this point. That programs the ESC's into 'knowing' what the throttle range is.

Another thing to check is the toe-in or toe-out of the mlg wheels. I think a little toe-in is best.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:48 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike93 View Post
The ground.control stinks, hope I can solve it.

Thanks,
Mike
Also, consider using -40 to -60 expo on rudder/steering servo
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
1,957 Posts
Like All You Before Me...

Got Mr. Guinness up today for the 1st time... It was one of those great "Maiden Nervous Highs".... Pulled up off the ground with no issues or surprises... Just wanted to express and share the coolness of this plane as all you have already.. Name: 550 Maiden 035.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 300.5 KB
Description: Name: 550 Maiden 042.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 213.9 KB
Description: Name: 550 Maiden 031.jpg
Views: 78
Size: 230.7 KB
Description: Did have about 8mph winds with some cross to deal with but nothing to hold me back.!! Easy lander ...!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updating Hangar (a little)
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:33 PM
Take that runway!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined May 2005
217 Posts
Cocg,
Nice job on the paint! I really like how these white foam airplanes can be turned into really cool models with little more than an imagination, google images and some paint!
jim12 is offline Find More Posts by jim12
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:55 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim12 View Post
Cocg,
Nice job on the paint! I really like how these white foam airplanes can be turned into really cool models with little more than an imagination, google images and some paint!
Thanks Jim... I'm "practicing" I think... For some amazing detailed models out there to aspire to.!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:57 PM
Santa Barbara/Roseville, California
Joined Dec 2001
306 Posts
Thanks for the response in regards to the squirly ground control. I run an Optic 6 2.4ghz. I will attempt to calibrate the esc with it. I think it might have to do with differental thrust. The landing gear looks good and it was the first thing I checked and the steering rate is low anyway. It seems to coast straight, but under power I get problems.

What kind of "landing" setting you guys using. I noticed right away that I needed up elevator rather than my normal down with the flaps deployed.

Thanks and I will get a pic up shortly.

Mike
mike93 is offline Find More Posts by mike93
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:47 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,957 Posts
Mike Up elevator is normal for flairing... Never used down... EEkk..!! Even with flaps... On some planes air brakes using down Elevator mixed in but .. Down for landing? Hmm.. do you land at all without flaps?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,847 Posts
Strange, unless my Turbojet's going real fast, I don't notice a pitch change on mine. Maybe you got your flaps going further down than mine.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:41 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,957 Posts
Airborne ..

Name: Guinness Turbo Airborne 011.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 249.2 KB
Description: Almost got out of the frame..!! Name: Guinness Turbo Airborne 028.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 137.2 KB
Description: A wee bit a flap slow fly by.. Name: Guinness Turbo Airborne 030.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 271.1 KB
Description: Up and about

Name: Guinness Turbo Airborne 060.jpg
Views: 95
Size: 185.7 KB
Description: Coming in...Name: Guinness Turbo Airborne 016.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 172.9 KB
Description: Sorry,no far away videos... Was fortunate to get wifey to come along and at least get some stills in the air..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,847 Posts
Great photography! Looks like you have a pro there! And nice looking plane. Can I make one suggestion, though? I put white tape over my servos under the wing to help hide them.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:00 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,832 Posts
if your transmitter or servos allow , you can have the flaps come down
slowly - then theres no problems with pitch up or down .

when the flap pop down that the nose will pitch up or down
pulsery2k1 is online now Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:17 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Joined May 2010
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Great photography! Looks like you have a pro there! And nice looking plane. Can I make one suggestion, though? I put white tape over my servos under the wing to help hide them.
Yessir..!! You are right on... I don't have any white tape (no excuse)... And I am considering trying some gear doors of some type..!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,847 Posts
So I looked up and found some bearings to replace the ones in my stock motors, but they wind up costing more than these new motors someone here found:

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...or-p-1007.html

So I just bought the motors as they look like a direct replacement. Well apparently not. They are externally identical, other than the wires are maybe an inch shorter than stock. I just got back from flying it, and they are a higher kva or something, because my Turbojet was really scooting! And I had some serious vertical capability, all still on 3s 3300mah 30C batt. Unfortunately, about 2 and 1/2 minutes into it (I usually go about 5 minutes) she hit lvc, and I landed safely. Checked the battery and it was actually around 3.8/cell. So I put in a fresh batt and the wattmeter and found it's pulling I think 58.4A, so 29.2A per motor. But I also noticed my battery had big voltage sag, so maybe that's why I got the lvc.

Anyways, I was happy the way she was before. Maybe some higher C batts would correct this, but my flight time would still be cut a little short, and for serious speed and vertical maneuvers, I have my F-35 and F4d-1, so I'll probably have to order those bearings after all....

Guess I could save the new spare motors for other projects. If anyone wants some drop-in afterburners, get those motors, just make sure your batteries are up to it!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:32 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Great info guys...looks like some of you are having nice flights with this jet.
Those pictures really look great and the plane sure has a beautiful outline in the sky.

I am just about finished getting mine ready for it's maiden voyage. A couple of minor things tomorrow and hope to get her up on Saturday. She has come out real nice, but man....I sure ran into a lot of self-induced snags putting this one together. Sheesh, I felt like a pre-school kid making his first project....but after some careful fixes, I got her all fixed up. Can't wait for the flight now.

Keep 'em flying hi guys,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member