HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,226 Posts
Return?

Returning to Nitroplanes was what I was thinking was going to happen.. Hence the photos for documentation.. Wouldn't blame them but weak box structure and, ah!! ... UPS? But all was fine.. (wings were everso slightly bent.. Flexed them back into shape..) Looked worse and felt worse than the pics can show..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,417 Posts
I think UPS employees have contests to see how much damage they can inflict on a box.
I rarely get a box from UPS that isn't damaged. It always makes me cringe when I order an airplane and the retailer states that it will be shipped via UPS.
Herman Munster is online now Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
213 Posts
turbojet(aka cessna

my port wing folded during a loop pull out. She went straight in. Picture is of wing reinforcing. canopy took a hit when the battery was ejected. New cockpit built when nitro ran out.
DAVE GRABEN is offline Find More Posts by DAVE GRABEN
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,955 Posts
Looks like the wing folded just inboard of where the spar stops. Why even have it in there? I found some aluminum tubing that fit over the existing partial spars, and added a dihedral bend to it and installed it in the middle. I've flown in extremely gusty conditions, the wings flapped like crazy, but they haven't failed yet! Of course, I don't fly it like a pylon racer, either!

Good job on the repair!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Looks like the wing folded just inboard of where the spar stops. Why even have it in there? I found some aluminum tubing that fit over the existing partial spars, and added a dihedral bend to it and installed it in the middle. I've flown in extremely gusty conditions, the wings flapped like crazy, but they haven't failed yet! Of course, I don't fly it like a pylon racer, either!

Good job on the repair!
Actually it doesn't stop there but is set deeper into the foam. It really stiffened it up.
return to flight status will be after cockpit is painted white. (not the out of place black)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
MikeMT
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE GRABEN View Post
...return to flight status will be after cockpit is painted white. (not the out of place black)
let me know what you use to paint the canopy white. I tried some stuff and looked like crap so I just have it black at this point.
nacho2059 is offline Find More Posts by nacho2059
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:15 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
nice fly whit 4s 40c 2200mah battery

DYNAM Turbo JET (4 min 46 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:13 AM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho2059 View Post
let me know what you use to paint the canopy white. I tried some stuff and looked like crap so I just have it black at this point.
The paint was enamel in a rattle can. I think it looks better white and built up with
balsa/ply. I flew it this morning. I pulled a few "g's" but didn't overdo it. I take off with 15 degrees of flap in about 40 '. (hard surface). Full flap landings are a joy!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,056 Posts
Quote:
my port wing folded during a loop pull out. She went straight in. Picture is of wing reinforcing. canopy took a hit when the battery was ejected. New cockpit built when nitro ran out.
You have to add some reinforcement to the wing on this plane if you intend to do any aerobatics. It is way too flexy otherwise. And even when you have added that you need to be light on the controls. Its a narrow long wing so it still could buckle. But great job on the repair!! Most people would have just given up and started over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwood View Post
nice fly whit 4s 40c 2200mah battery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPUxwsL9I-M
Great video! You just gave me the inspiration to get my keychain camera working again on this plane! I have 4-5 guys at my field that fly formation and being able to get a few planes in frame during the flights would be awesome! Oh and also I noticed that you flattened out your tail on the plane. Was that on purpose?
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
Quote:
some here i have order new one too this one will have cf rod added
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:09 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Cliff! Good to see u on here, tho I might've guessed u would get one as it appears u have no limit to the number of planes u have or budget! Can't wait to see your custom job on this one....btw, is this your first edf?
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
213 Posts
Quote:
the rod will definitely help but also reinforce the area behind the wheel well.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
[Great video! You just gave me the inspiration to get my keychain camera working again on this plane! I have 4-5 guys at my field that fly formation and being able to get a few planes in frame during the flights would be awesome! Oh and also I noticed that you flattened out your tail on the plane. Was that on purpose?[/QUOTE]

the plane was loaded up side down in van got damage
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, TX, Rhome
Joined Jul 2005
213 Posts
Quote:
I flew the TJ aka cessna citation this morning to push the g envelope a bit. I'm
happy to report that the mods done to the wing held up just fine. I made several loops with aggressive pull outs and could see the wing flex outboard of the gear well. I feel a little is just fine! I goofed and made a hard landing in the grass yesterday and ripped the main gear out. I used chinese glue and they have held up well. I've run off the ramp and into the grass with no damage.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:36 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,226 Posts
JussyJohnny.. !! Thanks.. Its amazing so many familiar names in other threads too.. !! Yepper.. 1st EDF I eventually want to graduate to a big Airliner..!! I am actually accumulating ideas in my head and a color scheme to put on it.. I already ordered some special nomenclature and got paint for it .. I do have a basic theme.. (I'll devulge later).. I have a Mountain Models (Laser Arts) P51 Mustang I am trying to complete up as of now and a Hobby King Ryan STA to get going too.. So The only thing so far I've done was paint the canopy frame white and tint the front windows It is out of the box and next to go.. I can work on two planes at once which is going to start happening..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member