HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Some cool FPV formation flying with a Scarab FPV Reconn and Gooniac and Frank's Turbo Jet... Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/kMYWHZ6xvVE
Good stuff as always!! It was a blast this past weekend as always! Need to put on a keychain camera too...
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,911 Posts
Amazing video there! Should be selling your services to the manufacturers and hobby shops, as I can see those vids selling planes!
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
MikeMT
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
I finally got the jet put back together. Was going to give it another shot yesterday but I seem to have a surging esc.

I ran the same motor with both speed controllers separately and again combined.
These are my findings:

Good
17.68 Amp Peak
192.3 Watt Peak

Bad
17.16 Amp Peak
187.5 Watt Peak

Combined
32.66 Amp Peak
342.2 Watt Peak

Do I throw one of the ESCs in the trash?

(this stuff is like a foreign language to me so bare with me on this)
nacho2059 is offline Find More Posts by nacho2059
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
MikeMT
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
also, I just noticed all 3 wires from both speed controllers are being connected. Could this be part of the problem?

These have a built in BEC correct?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho2059 View Post
I finally got the jet put back together. Was going to give it another shot yesterday but I seem to have a surging esc.

I ran the same motor with both speed controllers separately and again combined.
These are my findings:

Good
17.68 Amp Peak
192.3 Watt Peak

Bad
17.16 Amp Peak
187.5 Watt Peak

Combined
32.66 Amp Peak
342.2 Watt Peak

Do I throw one of the ESCs in the trash?

(this stuff is like a foreign language to me so bare with me on this)
Do you have a programming card? If so make sure that both are on the same settings. How do the fans sound? If they both sound the same then there isn't a whole lot to worry about I don't think. These are 40 amp esc's and you are well below the max...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,657 Posts
Quote:
also, I just noticed all 3 wires from both speed controllers are being connected. Could this be part of the problem?

These have a built in BEC correct?
Yes, built-in linear BEC's. Those can be run in parallel. Switching circuit types cannot.

I stand to be corrected by a "real" electronics gru !!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
MikeMT
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
I dont have a programming card. can programming take place without one?

The fans sound the same but the power surges at around 3/4 throttle on one of the esc.

my concern is while flying and I reduce power that the surging will effect the control.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,911 Posts
By power surge, is it just a surging noise you hear? Perhaps it's just the harmonics of the motors running at different speeds.

Also, did you get a sheet of instructions for the ESC's with the plane? I didn't, but someone else in my club did, and gave me a copy. It has programming instructions on it so you don't need a programmer.

You may just need to do a calibration on the ESC's. It's described in that instruction sheet. Basically you turn on your tx and set the throttle to full, plug in the plane and wait for I think 2 quick beeps, then move the throttle to idle, then you should hear the normal startup tones. This 'teaches' the ESC's what is full and zero throttle. If you leave the throttle at full for too long in this process, then it goes into programming mode, so be careful not to do that without the instructions.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. It runs fine at full throttle but if I reduce to 3/4 throttle it will surge. If I take it back to full throttle or reduce it to 1/2 or less it doesn't surge. I just don't fly mine at 3/4 throttle.
You can program the ESCs using your Transmitter.
Herman Munster is online now Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:04 PM
MikeMT
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
I was able to find programming instructions on the forum. reset the one esc to factory settings and also calibrated the throttle.

seems to have solved the surge issue.

when I said surge it was something you could see and feel.

programming instructions are here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196478
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
Esc...

I have had similar issues with another plane... I stuck each ESC in a separate single motored plane to see what was up... If they function, I would keep them for another project with a single motored application instead of the garbage.. If one is NG... Let it go.. !! Baggage!
Wish me luck, I have been reading all your threads and finally ordered one.. Due tommorrow..!! Love all the custom paintwork!! I hope I can step up to the creativity out there..!! (Will need an excuse for the wife, Any good ones out there?)
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1,911 Posts
Quote:
I was able to find programming instructions on the forum. reset the one esc to factory settings and also calibrated the throttle.
I would have just left them both plugged in, and reprogram and recalibrate them together, then you know they're at least set up as a match. Still good to hear it's fixed.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:10 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,025 Posts
Quote:
I dont have a programming card. can programming take place without one?

The fans sound the same but the power surges at around 3/4 throttle on one of the esc.

my concern is while flying and I reduce power that the surging will effect the control.
Did you use their Y harness that came with the plane? If so start there. That could be the source of your issues. I have had a lot of problems with the Y harnesses that they supply. If you want to narrow down if that it the problem, run one motor up at a time by connecting it directly to the throttle channel. If you don't get any surging then there is your problem...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:25 AM
MikeMT
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
finally yesterday after work I made the first successful flight. Needed a lot of trim and my landings need some work. Had to glue one of the gear mounts back in the wing and have added some asphalt to the underside of both wing tips and tail.

The best part is it flew, it landed, and it came home in one piece. Unfortunately I leave on vacation soon so it may be another two weeks before she flies again.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
1st EDF... 1st Passenger..

Little overweight however.. Looking forward to some kind of paint scheme..!!
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
RCG Plus Member