SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,011 Posts
Well, I haven't heard of any BEC failures in the Turbojet. I just did it for my peace of mind.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
MikeMT
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Does anyone have an extra black plastic mount with the collar? Used to mount on the underside of the nacelle.

My "painter" has misplaced one and I am hoping to not have to order a whole plastic parts kit from nitroplanes for nearly $18 shipped.

willing to pay a few bucks for it if you have one.

thanks in advance.

Mike
nacho2059 is offline Find More Posts by nacho2059
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I might have one, although I not exactly sure what part you're needing. Any chance you can post a picture of it or where it's located on the plane.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:46 PM
MikeMT
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts

this is the bottom half of the nacelle. This is where the upper screw holds the two halves together.
nacho2059 is offline Find More Posts by nacho2059
Old Jun 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I have a spare one. Just PM me with your address and I'll fire it off to you
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:52 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,380 Posts
My Dynam Tubo Jet flight. I am recording video in HD via a #16 HD Key Cam video camera. I am very impressed with the video quality of this little spy camera! For $40 you can't go wrong!
This was my first flight of the day and it ended with me stalling on the landing. It skipped off of the front wheel and flipped the plane over. Barely any damage but I do have to order a new canopy. Good thing I brought my 1400mm FMS J-3 Cub! Or I would have been done flying for the day. One thing I have to say about the Dynam Turbo Jet is how smooth it flys! The takeoff is very cool from this camera perspective! I am running everything stock. With a 3s 2650 40c SkyLipo. It really moves out! Love this plane!

Dynam Turbo Jet Flight with #16 Keychain Cam (4 min 33 sec)
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
Maidened mine today with a set of Wicked 4800 motor and thrust tubes instealled. About 750 watts on a pair of 3S 2200 lipos. Maiden went great. The flaps really make landing nice. Went up for a second flight about 2 minutes into the flight I made a turn and the left wing failed and folded upwards and it crashed. The installed spar stops about 1" from the side of the fuselage near the wheel well cutout. The foam in that area failed, so I strongly suggest adding a carry through spar on this model. I was really bummed out as the model flew awesome on the higher power with balanced fans.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,794 Posts
Don;
Sorry to hear of the mishap! Yes, the lack of a "thru spar" is about the only deficiency on these great flying Dynam planes. I have both the Grand Cruiser and the Turbo Jet...and have added carbon "thru spars" to both.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
Well I guess that is what I get for finishing a model the night before wanting to fly it and not looking it completely over. I did not think about the lack of carry through spar during assembly was concentrating on other stuff. It just ticks me off that they wold sell it like that.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine. Made a low pass over the field, was doing a gentle climb out and both wings folded and it fell like a rock. Airframe was a write off.
I bought another one as I really like the plane but I put a thru spar tied into the existing spars so it won't happen again.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
I had the same thing happen to mine. Made a low pass over the field, was doing a gentle climb out and both wings folded and it fell like a rock. Airframe was a write off.
I bought another one as I really like the plane but I put a thru spar tied into the existing spars so it won't happen again.
I recently purchased this airplane and hope to assembly it within the next few weeks. I am interested to know how you went about lengthening the spar and the joint at the center - the spars are not completely perpendicular to the fuselage.

Did you cut a slot in the bottom of the wing or attempt to drill into the wing in line with the existing spar?

John
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Last edited by JohnRB; Jun 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:41 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
I recently purchased this airplane and hope to assembly it within the next few weeks. I am interested to know how you went about lengthening the spar and the joint at the center - the spars are not completely perpendicular to the fuselage.

Did you cut a slot in the bottom of the wing or attempt to drill into the wing in line with the existing spar?

John
After the plane was completely assembled I used a soldering gun to cut out a channel for the carbon fiber rod. I cut the channel so it would intersect with the existing spar but slightly to the rear of it so I was able to extend it another 1-1/2" and tie the carbon fiber rod into the existing spar I then used hot glue to anchor it in place and tie the spars together.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post

John
I forgot what size I used, but I found some aluminum tubing at the hardware store that as a good fit over the existing spars. (You can fit some calipers into the slots in the wing where the spar is exposed.) Then I cut it so it could fit an inch or 2 over each carbon fiber existing spar, then used my Mark IIX calibrated eyeball to bend it to the correct dihedral angle. I then just drilled up to the spars and inserted the tube when glueing the wing halves.

I've flown it in some really gusty conditions, and you can really see those wings flap. Don't know if they would have snapped without my mod, but it's peace of mind.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
842 Posts
Dynam Turbojet wing reinforcement

Thank you Herman Munster and xmech2k.

Since my wings are not joined yet I will probably try the aluminum tubing and drilling method. I was considering using carbon fiber tubing but that would have required a method of joining the two ends. A single aluminum tube formed to match dihedral and leading edge taper is probably the best approach.
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:01 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,794 Posts
JohnRB;

IMO, that will be quite a bit of overkill, not to mention extra work. Unless you intend to fly this aircraft like a pylon racer

I used this strip of carbon fiber..installed it after joining the wings by using straight edge to cut a thin slot near the center of the cord (just fore of the wheel wells) The length was just past the wheel wells. Tack glued it in with regular medium CA followed by 15min epoxy.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy