Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:36 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
Maiden (at last)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post

Gary: did you ever get your fans balanced? done the maiden yet?
Another nice flying Dynam plane! Just need to do a slight adjustment with C of G as I had to add about 1/8 of "up" trim on elevator for level flight.

Using 3S3300 Skylipo, mounted quite a bit aft....not too much of it shows in the cockpit. Had to make a liteply extension 'shelf' to mount it.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:48 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,664 Posts
Good to hear you got it airborne. Looks like everyone is finding more rearward battery placement is required. I mentioned a few posts back that Dynam apparently didn't consider the added weight of the nose gear retract. My fixed gear version balanced fine in the stock battery tray but the retract version required about a 1.25 inch rearward shift. It's easy to fabricate a tray extension and mine has about a dozen flights with no problems.

I'm in the process of adding flaps to slow the landing speed a bit. It worked nicely on my grand cruiser and I actually felt it was worth the slight added weight and complexity.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,642 Posts
What was/is your final CG location.....58 to 60mm.....or something different?
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old May 01, 2012, 03:49 AM
AMA 670207
United States, WA, Sumner
Joined Oct 2000
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Another nice flying Dynam plane! Just need to do a slight adjustment with C of G as I had to add about 1/8 of "up" trim on elevator for level flight.

Using 3S3300 Skylipo, mounted quite a bit aft....not too much of it shows in the cockpit. Had to make a liteply extension 'shelf' to mount it.
Congrats bama!

Got one myself but sent the fans to Don's for balancing. BTW, here is a shot of the esc's and what they are rated for if anyone wants to know. Hope to maiden very soon once the fans come in.

Perry
Rudderman98 is offline Find More Posts by Rudderman98
Old May 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Bungee hook 4 to 6 inches ahead of the CG seems to work well in most EDF models.
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old May 07, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
I got one of these planes a couple weeks ago. Love it and flew it on 3s for the first 10 or so flights. But once I saw how little it was drawing I knew that it was time to up the ante. I am now flying it on 4s and will never go back again! 891watts and 57amps...well below what it is capable of doing! I did disable the on board BEC's and added a UBEC but aside from that its all stock! Fans are really quiet and provide lots of thrust! Awesome plane!!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old May 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
41 Posts
My first day out I got into a bad spin and nosed in. I think it's worth mentioning that, if you're coming from high wing prop planes, you should watch your altitude when doing tricks.

NASA theme...

Ready to fly as soon an I get an opportunity.
darknrgy is offline Find More Posts by darknrgy
Old May 25, 2012, 12:03 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,795 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Did you get too slow?

I finally got flying mine after it was in the hangar for a few months until I finally got all the parts and time to install retracts. Got 4 great flights with it. Love it with the retracts!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old May 25, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Mar 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Sorry to hear it. Did you get too slow?

I finally got flying mine after it was in the hangar for a few months until I finally got all the parts and time to install retracts. Got 4 great flights with it. Love it with the retracts!
Right after a high speed low pass I turned out and went straight up until I did a very straight-up stall. I descended backwards for much longer than I anticipated and then snapped into a dive. I pulled up (too early?) and had a tip stall and went into a spin.

I've been in so many different kinds of spin in the simulator and always got out, but someone on the field told me not enough altitude and I think he is dead on. When I entered the spin I was already pretty low and there just wasn't enough energy left over to control the plane in any meaningful way.

I keep replaying this event over and over because it caught me so off guard.
Old May 25, 2012, 02:23 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,414 Posts
This plane does have a nasty snap into a spin if you go too slow and stall it, and it doesn't give you any warning. It does require a fair amount of altitude to regain lift and start flying again. On my maiden I took it up to a safe altitude to see at what speed it stalls at (which I do with all my planes). Anyway after it stalled and went into the spin it was at treetop level when it finally started flying again. I misjudged the safe altitude with this one.
I still really enjoy this plane though, a real pleasure to fly and although the stall is rather nasty, the good part is that it has a fairly low stall speed.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Last edited by Herman Munster; May 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 04:03 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,795 Posts
Just got home, and saw your Nasa scheme. (Work computer blocked it.) Looks great! Hope the damage wasn't too bad. I know at our field, depending on the season, there can be some really dense, tall grass, and I've seen some planes come out in one piece that I thought were toast. Of course, some just disappear in it, too!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old May 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Just got home, and saw your Nasa scheme. (Work computer blocked it.) Looks great! Hope the damage wasn't too bad. I know at our field, depending on the season, there can be some really dense, tall grass, and I've seen some planes come out in one piece that I thought were toast. Of course, some just disappear in it, too!
That's the plane in it's current form, so not too bad :]. Fuselage was compressed, nose was a little bit ripped up, broken canopy, retracts fell off. When it went down I thought it would be in pieces but I think I was lucky in that I was in a slowish spin. You can sort of see a dent in the fuse if you look closely.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:29 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknrgy View Post
My first day out I got into a bad spin and nosed in. I think it's worth mentioning that, if you're coming from high wing prop planes, you should watch your altitude when doing tricks.

NASA theme...

Ready to fly as soon an I get an opportunity.
Looks good to me - aren't you in the SF Bay Area? Will you be out at Rancho tomorrow? I thin a lot of us will be out in full-force with our TJs.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old May 26, 2012, 12:38 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Looks good to me - aren't you in the SF Bay Area? Will you be out at Rancho tomorrow? I thin a lot of us will be out in full-force with our TJs.
I will be there bright and early!! Turbo Jet ready to go!!
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old May 26, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
I'm going to try and go every morning for all three days off :]. I should go to sleep...