HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
United States, OH, Toronto
Joined Oct 2009
162 Posts
I have been flying mine on 4s 2650 mAh 20c pack..and have had no problems in about half dozen flights.. I take mine off of grass (using stock retracts) and only use full throttle for take off..reduce to a little over half for climb out and most of my flying is about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle.
I used my watt meter to check the numbers for Sammy70 and after I landed had voltage reading of 14.8 v., full throttle drew just at 50.1 Amps and around 735 Watts.. At 1/2 throttle, 28.5 Amps and 410 watts!..
According to the info on the Dyanm ESC's, all of them are reated for 4 cell packs..
I have not taken the pods off to look, so not sure if the ESC's are rated at 30 Amp or 40..but have had not trouble so far.. Only fly for about 3-4 min at a time, so that may be helping me also.
Wayne
orvie6 is offline Find More Posts by orvie6
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:33 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,286 Posts
Mine arrived today

That is SO nice that Dynam leaves the decals on the SHEET for us. Sure beats peeling them off to be able to paint it!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:29 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Maidened my second Citation this morning and was very pleased to find that it flew just as nice as my first one (may it RIP).

I made a rearward extension on the battery compartment and moved the standard sized 2200 3s about 1.25 inches back. CG now at 57mm back from LE of the wing. No dead weight required as this rearward shift offset the additional weight of the nose wheel retract assembly.

Tip: you can put the control rod on the left side of the elevator in the second hole on the elevator horn and the one on the right side in the outer hole. This will almost exactly offset the travel imbalance of the rods due to their placement in different holes on the servo horn. Also, mount the control horn on the rudder about 1/8 in below the provided indentation. This will prevent it from binding against the adjacent elevator horn.

AUW of 2 lb 11.5 oz is about 3.5 oz heavier than my first plane which had fixed gears.
Power draw of about 38a and 440 watts is about the same.

It's sure no speed demon - but it flys so nicely! Tracks like it was on rails, feels very stable and has predictable and consistent response to control input. Just about the only jet I've owned that could be considered relaxing to fly.

I may "spice it up" a bit with 4s a little later but right now I'll just enjoy it as is.

It really puts a grin on my face to do a slow spool up and a long takeoff roll then pull the gear up immediately after liftoff. It looks so realistic it's spooky!
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Apr 10, 2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,653 Posts
dbc;
Mine is just about ready to maiden....having a tough time trying to get the fans balanced.

Got'em static balanced on my magnetic balancer, but maybe the motors are out of balance?
Did you, or any other folks have any balance issues?
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,906 Posts
One of my fans became 'behaved' just by removing the fan unit and carefully reinstalling it. It appears any stress on the fan shroud can deform it easily and cause rubs.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
My first plane was a real bear to get in balance. This plane had both fans just slightly out. Got them both to run silky smooth with very small pieces of 3m cellophane tape on one of the blades. Just did it by trial-and-error and found the best blade for one piece. Then adjusted the size up or down to find the sweet spot. Took me, maybe 8 or 10 trials for each one. I've used this method with good success on propellers, too.

The 70mm fan on my Dynam Meteor was way out of balance and rubbing the shroud, too. I don't think they make much, if any, effort to center and balance them.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Add two flights on mine today, just awesome! I've been moving my battery further and further back as I found the elevator control too little as is. Had one of the main retract units rip out on landing. don't believe they can take much abuse as I land on fine gravel, also had 3 hinges for my flaps come out! used good epoxy on them maybe I'll try hot glue instead?. As far as fan balance goes my one motor shaft is slightly bent from new, sounds a little loud but I fly as is, no problems so far!!
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,653 Posts
[QUOTE=jussyjonny;21303273 also had 3 hinges for my flaps come out! used good epoxy on them maybe I'll try hot glue instead?.[/QUOTE]

Use the contact cement that came with the plane. I also have their "Cessna 310", with flaps. I used the supplied adhesive and they are still solid after 30 or so flights!

-Gary
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,416 Posts
I'll second bamaguy's suggestion on the contact cement that came with the plane. Just let it sit long enough after installing them. I usually glue it in in the evening and let it sit over night and in the morning it's solid as a rock.
If you don't have any of the glue, then hot glue will also work good.
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:32 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,725 Posts
Got three more flights in this evening. Looks like 5 min is about the limit on 3s 2200 batteries. Terminal voltage of about 3.75 per cell. This with mixed throttle including some WOT.

As I noted before, it lands a little fast but is otherwise easy to fly. I might add flaps - it looks like they might be very effective in slowing and adding a little lift on final approach.

I'm real happy with this Cessna Citation 550 ( really don't like calling it a "Turbo Jet").

Gary: did you ever get your fans balanced? done the maiden yet?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:34 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's some videos from last weekend - lots of fun when you have 5 TurboJets up trying to do formation

jets ensemble - Nitroplanes TurboJet550 flying in unison (2 min 31 sec)

Dynam Turbo Jets flying at Rancho San Antonio (4 min 59 sec)
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,653 Posts
Got them running pretty well....was able to rotate impeller bit by bit on motor shaft to almost eliminate vibration, not perfect...but much improved.

No maiden, yet. Too windy for foamy's. Did ground test, good to go.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Tried out a school field near my friend Jeff B's house. Has a great paved, short takeoff strip, and tons of grass for landing! Worked out pretty good, other than Jeff's stock battery biting the dust, causing his plane to crash!!
Check out the Vid!
http://vimeo.com/m/40479445
Last edited by jussyjonny; Apr 16, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Had some more flights at the school... Lots of fun! This time tried using my iphone as a runway cam.. Good thing it's in a case!!! Phone survived, and retract still works ( just have to glue it back in!)
Also, hot glue works great! Landing on grass not a prob. w/ nose gear glued in to keep it from wiggling.
http://vimeo.com/m/41035499
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:20 AM
USA, NJ, Egg Harbor Township
Joined Feb 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvie6 View Post
Jason,
I like it..simple yet different!! Like the color on the tail.. just enough contrast to help with orientation..
You cant see it from the photos..but I put a 'tow hook' right under where the 'doors' are on my plane..I fly from a grass field and not sure the wheels are big enough to allow me to take of..so set it up to bungee launch..will extend the gear for the landings.. Hope to have mine flying as soon as the weather cooperates...been way to windy lately..
Wayne
Wayne,
I was thinking of putting a tow hook on mine. Have you used it yet? I have a bungee launcher that I use for other jets that I have, and was wondering how it would work on this one. Can you give me a more exact location for the hook on the bottom of the aircraft?
Thanks,
Joe C
flyboy1000 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy1000