HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:35 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
I got the latest version that came with e-retracts.

just a warning; you should check to make sure your escs are programmed the same. One of mine was set to medium cutoff voltage which shut the motor down. The plane is DIFFICULT to fly on one motor
darkside212 is offline Find More Posts by darkside212
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
Bombs Away...
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Nov 2009
260 Posts
Also with the retract one make sure your wheels dont bind. Mine was to tight on the post and would drag its wheels almost on taxi. I just reamed them out with a drill bit and they roll smooth now.
AL1EN is offline Find More Posts by AL1EN
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:10 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
260 Posts
I was thinking about upgrading my motors and rotors to the Eflite V480 kits. What you guys think would that improve this jet using the stock esc and a 4s 2200 mah lipo?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:13 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
I run mine stock with 4s 20c 1800mah packs and it's pretty quick. Sometimes I parallel the packs for longer flight but I get ~3mins with the 1800 packs.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:04 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
260 Posts
how should i program my ESC to use 4s batteries?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Aug 2008
196 Posts
Hi all,

maidened mine yesterday. Fantastic bird. Like it a lot.
Equipped with retracts, flaps and lights.
I also shortened gears to a realistic length.
Actually in paint shop.

Markus
carrerars is offline Find More Posts by carrerars
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:57 AM
Foamy Pilot
United States, CA
Joined Jun 2011
457 Posts
Got pics?
AJ5000 is offline Find More Posts by AJ5000
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:58 PM
Take that runway!
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined May 2005
208 Posts
Turbojet with all the trimmings

I also went the retracts, flaps and lights route. Just in time for them to start marketing the thing with etracts. I used the wheel wells that were molded into the wings to set the gear height. Full scale versions sit even lower, though.

I also tried my hand at some video. Learned a couple of things. Need to plan shots better as they went long. I've included them here. You'll probably want to make use of the slider bar but the flap and retract installation might be helpful. Flew the maiden last weekend. Needed some nose up trim and will likely shift the batteries back to offset the weight of the nose gear. Got some oohs and ahhs on the fight. Video soon, I hope.

Retracts were easier than with the Meteor but for $30 I'd get 'em with the kit. They really make the thing look good in the air!

Turbojet Build Pt 1.mp4 (14 min 37 sec)

turbojet Build Pt 2.mp4 (19 min 54 sec)

Turbojet Build Pt 3.mp4 (20 min 36 sec)
jim12 is offline Find More Posts by jim12
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:44 AM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL1EN View Post
how should i program my ESC to use 4s batteries?
no programming is necessary imo
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
260 Posts
No voltage cut needed?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
239 Posts
Is anyone actually using the flaps on this plane?

I've had my Turbojet for several months and really enjoy it. I finally got around to installing the flaps and made an interesting observation, and would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

When lowering the flaps in flight under power, I was expecting some "ballooning", which would the normal reaction. But Nooooo...

Absolutely no reaction from the plane -- no ballooning, no pitch changes, nada...

At first I thought that the flaps weren't deploying, since the servos might not have enough power to overcome the force of the airflow under the wing. I made a number of low, slow passes over the runway right in front of me and verified that they were down. I switched them on and off while passing in front of me and actually watched them go up and down, so I know they're working.

I've been flying RC stuff for 16 years and used flaps on quite a number of my planes. This is the very first time I've ever observed this behavior -- a total lack of reaction from the plane regardless of speed or pitch.

Then, adding to the mystery, I disconnected the flaps and connected my aileron servos as flaperons, which I've used before on other planes. Since this plane responds well to aileron movement, I figured that flaperon deployment would get a similar reaction.

Nope... When I deploy the flaperons, the plane pitches just slightly downward, which is the exact oposite reaction I was expecting.

Anyway, I'm getting absolutely no additional lift from either flaps or flaperons on the Turbojet. I was wondering if anyone else here is using flaps on this plane, and what you observe when you deploy them in flight.

Thanks...

-- Rod
Beaverton, OR
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
Milwaukee WI
Joined Dec 2003
500 Posts
@al1en: I set mine to "low" but the esc automatically senses how many cells you're running; you can even hear it at startup (3beeps for 3s, 4 for 4s etc).

@Rod
I don't know if I notice as much of a pitch change, but I definitely notice shorter take offs and landings. Perhaps you're not using enough?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:26 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,642 Posts
Regarding flaps, I only really notice a ballooning when I extend the flaps when I'm going too fast. Looks cool at landing, though!

Oh, who's offering this with retracts now? Looked at Nitroplanes and didn't see anything.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Oct 27, 2011, 07:55 AM
Bombs Away...
Joined Nov 2009
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Regarding flaps, I only really notice a ballooning when I extend the flaps when I'm going too fast. Looks cool at landing, though!

Oh, who's offering this with retracts now? Looked at Nitroplanes and didn't see anything.
Its on nitro just use the search "Turbo Jet" and it should be in the list
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
824 Posts
What is the flying style of this model? Is it just cruising around like a little corporate jet or are you doing loops and rolls and stuff? I like the fact that it is big (46")and therefore easier to see than these little 24 to 28 inch WS models.
nebuchadnezzar is online now Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar