Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:27 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
where did you get that DT-3K ?

I know somewhere on this thread, Wobby recommended
a HeadTracker that has absolutely no drift whatsoever....
Is that it?
From here. I think it is the same one Wobby uses.
replayreb is offline Find More Posts by replayreb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
replayreb

is that easy to setup with a Futaba 7C tx ?

also, with a DragonLink, how is that HeadTracker used?
the DragonLink uses that Trainer Port also.....

I dont have a DragonLink yet, but I will soon.
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:12 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
replayreb

is that easy to setup with a Futaba 7C tx ?

also, with a DragonLink, how is that HeadTracker used?
the DragonLink uses that Trainer Port also.....

I dont have a DragonLink yet, but I will soon.
My Dragon Link is connected to my 9C where the RF module normally plugs into as described here so my trainer port is available. The DT-3K works great. For the Summit I have the pan/tilt on channels 3 and 4 (left stick on the 9C) and programmed the DT-3K for channels 3 and 4 also so when I flip the trainer switch the headtracker takes over.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:11 PM
Rubbin's Racin
USA, Murrieta, California
Joined Oct 2010
341 Posts
to cool in the pics that show it all together it looks so clean, like it was factory built not a creation. Great work!
FPVSCRacer is offline Find More Posts by FPVSCRacer
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:10 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
replayreb

so you got into the trucks b/c the FPV planes looked too dangerous....
very exciting....your truck looks fantastic.....
I can't wait for your vids....

p.s.
do you have to hold the Trainer switch down because it snaps back
to the original place?

also, where do you get those "Pins" connectors? I will have to plug
my DragonLink into those Pins....and use the Trainer Port for the
Flytron HeadTracker.....

is that HeadTracker hard to set up? I have a 7C tx.
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Nov 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:22 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
replayreb

so you got into the trucks b/c the FPV planes looked too dangerous....
very exciting....your truck looks fantastic.....
I can't wait for your vids....

p.s.
do you have to hold the Trainer switch down because it snaps back
to the original place?

also, where do you get those "Pins" connectors? I will have to plug
my DragonLink into those Pins....and use the Trainer Port for the
Flytron HeadTracker.....

is that HeadTracker hard to set up? I have a 7C tx.
I replaced the trainer switch with a 2 Position Futaba Toggle Switch ML-1AFLP that stays on without a rubber band. I also found a 5-pin connector that fits those 5 pins on the back of the Futaba from here.

I actually built a fully loaded FPV Easy Star this past Spring but I didn't enjoy the experience as much as I would have hoped. Too many variables and I didn't like having to plan out the logistics for every flight because there are not very many wide open spaces where I live. The thing I like about the Summit is that I just can walk out the back door and go.

Wells Gate - Saturday, June 12, 2010 (13 min 14 sec)
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:26 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
You'll also need the pins for that 5-pin connector from here (they're just regular servo plug pins).
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:22 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Well, I finally got the tires mounted to match the spare. I can see now that I am going to have to find lots of extra Tonka tires on eBay because I am going to going through a lot of 'em! But seriously, I was hoping to "maiden" the Summit tomorrow because it is my only day off before the Thanksgiving holidays on which I will be going out of town with the fam but it is supposed to be raining hard here all day tomorrow not to mention I also broke my transmitter antenna! I was trying to remove the top of the plastic sheath to expose the bare antenna wire so it wouldn't damage anything in case of a rollover but I pulled too hard in the wrong place and snap! I posted about it over on the 1.2GHz transmitter thread and a kind soul offered to send me a replacement! It may arrive tomorrow but it is supposed to raining pretty hard and I would rather wait for a nicer day to test the truck. He is sending me the one that comes with the Lawmate 1W 1.2GHz transmitter that is shorter, thinner and more flexible than the fat rubber duck type that came with the Sunsky 800mw combo I bought. The Lawmate version is tuned to 1280GHz and that is perfect because that is the channel I was going to be using anyway to stay legal here in the U.S.

Since I am waiting for the new antenna to arrive I finally sat down with the Summit's instruction manual for the first time (isn't that such a guy thing to do after I've torn it all apart! lol) and started reading about toe and camber adjustments and so I started messing with that. While adjusting the tires I noticed, and I'm a little embarrassed to tell this, that I didn't get the Tonka body exactly centered on the Summit's chassis, especially in the rear, so I took everything apart and widened the mounting holes in the Tonka a little so I could get it perfectly centered. It makes a difference when the truck is bottomed out with the wheels turned so the tires don't rub not to mention I've put a lot of time in this project and I want it to look good

The bad thing about this time of year is that it gets dark at 5pm and I don't usually get off work until around 6 or so and I am going out of town for the Thanksgiving holidays and my next day off after that is next Wednesday so hopefully that will be a nice day that I can finally go out out and make a video of this thing in action that I can post here. Until then...Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:37 AM
Rubbin's Racin
Joined Oct 2010
341 Posts
One thing that I noticed on my Summit is that 3 of the 4 wheels have significant wobble when spinning, very irritating The truck is brand new, never hit anything and was like this out of the box. I don't see anything that is bent so I think that Traxxas just did a poor job glueing the tires on the wheels which creates this problem. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:46 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Mine is OK but I read about that problem here. I bought mine from Tower Hobbies but maybe some sit squished in the box too long in a hot shipping container or warehouse or something. I would definitely ask for an exchange from the vendor or better yet call and pester Traxxas until they agree to send you replacement tires. I bet they would since they have certainly dealt with this issue before. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 07:05 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
The Tonka decals arrived today so I went to town on the helmet station with those and the stickers that came with the Summit and made it as gaudy as I could! My son is modelling it here...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:08 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
I was bored and didn't like the winch sticker on the Summit so I pulled out the scrap piece of aluminum I had left over from making the camera mount and made license plates. I did a Google image search and found pictures of license plates that are local here and printed them on photo paper. I stuck them on the aluminum with double-sided tape. The ink on the photo paper bled when I touched a wet spot on the counter when pressing them on so I reprinted them and used clear packaging tape to put over the top and trimmed it. I used servo tape to mount them to the bumper. If they get scratched or messed up it's easy just to reprint new plates and stick them on the aluminum. I live in a college town and these license plates are very popular here so my neighbors will get a laugh when this pulls into their driveway.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Rubbin's Racin
Joined Oct 2010
341 Posts
I want to use the GY401 gyro for tilt stabilization on my FPV Summit. I'm trying to figure out how to make this work and setup the radio. I think that the 9C has to be in helicopter mode for it to work? Also, I plan to use all 9 channels available for my truck but when in Heli mode and trying to assign the AUX channels there is no option for channel #6. This is frustrating trying to figure this stuff out. Has anybody got a clue how to do it or how Wobby set his up?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
You don't have to have it in heli mode as fas as I know. Plug the tilt servo into the gyro and then plug the gyro cable into the receiver. It probably has a separate gain connector that will go to a spare channel so you can control the gain settings remotely. Go into the radio's menu and go to "Gyro" and set the gain settings there. Then you can assign those settings to a 2 or 3-position switch and so you change the gain settings while driving. I'm telling you this from memory since I am at work.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 08:59 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
A big thank you goes out to Po73 for sending me a new Lawmate 1.2GHz transmitter antenna for the Summit. It arrived today and is much smaller and flexible than the standard duck antenna that came with the Sunsky transmitter. Thank you Po73!!!

Last edited by replayreb; Nov 24, 2010 at 09:06 PM.