Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:30 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
wow, that thing looks custom.....

you could probably sell that custom made body with mounts
and people would be interested..... I'd buy one....

when I was making my mounts for the body and camera,
it took me atleast several weeks and atleast 10x going to
Lowes/HomeDepot for little screws/brackets/etc.... just to make
it work..... and when I got it running, my camera
mount was sooo terrible, it would shake like
madd when the Summit was on slowly 1st gear
....high speed was impossible, too shakey.....

.....but nothing as custom as yours....

you should buy a body like that, trim it, and have different paint
schemes and sell some with body mounts
..... that would save soooo much time
and frustration for many........

you did a fantastic job....
Thank you very much. I'm just glad to have a platform to build on now. If the camera mount isn't stable enough I now feel confident enough to cut off the top of the seat and mount the camera on a bigger servo. I also found one of those Chevron Tonka Jeeps on eBay really cheap so I am going to swap my roof for the rollbar if the roof limits my visibility too much.
replayreb is offline Find More Posts by replayreb
Last edited by replayreb; Nov 19, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:29 PM
Rubbin's Racin
USA, Murrieta, California
Joined Oct 2010
341 Posts
I got my Summit & Tonka so I have started the build I'm still waiting for the FPV gear. Thank you Wobby and Replayreb for the inspiration and idea's. Replayreb you are absolutely correct this Tonka is a perfect fit for the Summit, great find. If you mind that I am posting about my truck here let me know and I'll start a new thread. I figure since we are doing the same thing it will be most helpful for others to find in one location but I don't want to be a thread hog either. I cut out the undercarriage, trimmed interior and mounted body to the chassis. I was hoping to mount the body even lower but can see that there will be issues if it is any lower. The passenger (right) side battery plug is nearly impossible to plug/unplug with it at this height as it is. I might extend the wires an inch or so. I actually mounted the front of body to the chassis with a piano hinge so I can lift up the back by removing two nuts but I don't think it was necessary and will probably never use it. It is just as easy to remove all four nuts and take the body completely off. Thank you Replayreb for the pics of your interior mods. By simply looking at them and marking the plastic I was able to make the cuts in very little time with no mistakes. That probably saved me several hours than to figure it out on my own. One thing I also did was cut the two side/middle tabs so I could remove the hood. There is lots of space up there to utilize and keep the truck more balanced. Once you cut the tabs off the two rear tabs actually work as a hinge so you can lift the hood and it says up too, pretty cool. To keep shut I simply drilled two tiny holes into the front two tabs and used two tiny screws to keep the hood closed. Behind the tabs is plastic. If you make the holes thru the plastic slightly undersized from you screws you can thread them thru it and have a nice tight fit. The hood originally looked to not be full closed, it could be pushed down a little but would pop back up. When I marked for the holes in the plastic I pushed the hood down then marked so that when the screws are inserted it's a tight fit with no slop, problem solved.
FPVSCRacer is offline Find More Posts by FPVSCRacer
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:44 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
how are you guys mounting these Tonka bodies on your Summit?
are you using the Original body mounts?

also, are the GoPro HD cameras on your Tonka bodies
stable and reduced vibration?

both your Tonkas are sick !
(FPVSCRacer , replayreb )
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
Rubbin's Racin
USA, Murrieta, California
Joined Oct 2010
341 Posts
Quote:
how are you guys mounting these Tonka bodies on your Summit?
are you using the Original body mounts?

also, are the GoPro HD cameras on your Tonka bodies
stable and reduced vibration?

both your Tonkas are sick !
(FPVSCRacer , replayreb )
Thank you rclab1,
Yes, the Summit body mounts line up perfectly with this body. I didn't bother posting pictures of how I did it because replayreb already did and mine is very similar. One area of possible concern is that the metal on the Tonka is very thin and I'm not certain if it will bend over time in the mounting areas with the weight of the body and offroad abuse. I may go back and reinforce this but I did test the truck last night in the rain and did have a slow speed roll over. Nothing was damaged so it might be fine the way that it is. Regarding the pan/tilt mount and vibration I decided to order the pan/tilt from Globe-Flight.de as it looks to be the strongest and smoothest GoPro system that I could find. Unfortunately, they are in Germany and apparently my order is held up because of issues getting the pan servo. I'm not 100% certain because translation is difficult. I sent Sebastian emails instructing to just send the system minus servo as I can easily get this servo locally but haven't gotten a response yet Hopefully this will not take to long because it will definately be holding up the completion of my truck. To counter act bumps and vibration I will be using a GY401 heli gyro like Wobby on the tilt servo. I have no idea how to make this work but am certain that with some fiddling I'll get it.
FPVSCRacer is offline Find More Posts by FPVSCRacer
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:49 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
That is one good looking truck! Please post your updates here! I didn't realize when I started this thread that all of the FPV Car/truck stuff has been confined to the FPV Car and Other Fun FPV Projects Thread so I probably should have posted my build progress there from the beginning but I wanted to keep everything in one place for reference to others who decide to use this Tonka body. I just think it's perfect for the Summit. I've been busy finishing up my build tonight and will post pics later.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:46 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
.....keep it up guys.....
I was going to order that pan/tilt GoPro HD mount
from Globe-Flight.de last summer, but it was very expensive
for a mount. Let me know if that holds up well to vibration.

also, I don't think that gyro will help you from vibrations, it helps
when our truck is going slow over rocks and mounds (keeps camera level),
but when going decently fast, that gyro wont do any good from
the very fast, small vibrations from the tires.....
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I'd love one these murdered out (flat black) w/ chrome wheels - would offset that brown interior perfectly.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:23 AM
Joined May 2005
1,185 Posts
This could be an awesome FPV plattform ?

Jeep Willys mb 1/6 rc climbing,crawling,towing.... (7 min 59 sec)
!

I found some nice body`s at eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=jee....c0.m270.l1313

can they be used ?
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Nov 21, 2010, 04:05 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
This could be an awesome FPV plattform ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJIUh...ayer_embedded#!

I found some nice body`s at eBay:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=jee....c0.m270.l1313

can they be used ?
Yes it can! Check out Wobby's jeep build here. Pics start here.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:05 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Finished! The extra Y-splitter finally arrived from Tower so I was able to install that in the receiver box and bolt the body on for good. I carpeted the bottom of the cargo bed of the Tonka with the loop side of some wide velcro to cushion and secure the RC receiver. I did the same to the top of the aluminum camera mount base to secure the video transmitter battery, lipo alarm and cables. I experimented briefly using a cheap Esky gyro mounted to the base to buffer the camera tilt servo. I wanted to be able to turn it off and on but for some reason the gyro would twitch randomly when I turned the gain all the way down so I scrapped it for now.

I put the transmitter in the spare tire rack wedged behind the spare Tonka tire. I used servo tape to secure the transmitter to the back of the rack and I drilled two small holes in the bottom of the tire and used a small cable tie to hold it in place. I also used a cable tie to secure the gas can. You can see the transmitter's channel through the center of the spare tire. The top of the tire rack hooks over the top edge of the Tonka and a velcro strip at the bottom keeps it from lifting up. It is very secure but easy to remove.

I was planning to heatshrink the RC antenna to the Tonka's antenna but I realized I needed to be able to remove the antenna to take everything apart so I heatshrinked a short length of antenna tube to the Tonka' antenna and I can just slip the antenna up through the tube.

I also made my "helmet station". I bought a cheap yellow hard hat at ACE hardware for $8 and bolted the 1.2GHz receiver to the top of it. I remembered that the FatSharks goggles headband sticks to velcro really well so I put a strip of the hook side of velcro horizontally on the back of the helmet (or front since I'm wearing it backwards) and put two pieces of velcro cable wrap vertically underneath it before I stuck it on. The horizontal strip keeps the back of the FatSharks' headband from slipping off the helmet when putting the goggles on and off and the cable wrap holds the 3S lipo and video cables in place. I bought a yellow helmet so I can put Tonka decals on the sides to make it look like the old Tonka helmets that use to come with their dumptrucks and road graders. If you are going to be looking silly wearing a helmet with a satellite dish on it you might as well do it in style! lol

The flash on my camera is too bright so I tried taking a few pictures without it. I think it turned out pretty well. I'll post video clips when I get a chance.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:15 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
Wow.....sick project and sick Helmet....
I'm lovin' it......is that goggle comfy
with the head straps that far back?

I sort of wish you started your project before I did
so I could'a learn something :-)

also, instead of using a omni antenna on your VidRx (helmet),
figure out how to put a patch antenna, it will give you
10x more distance !

p.s.
one more thing? is that lil' black box on top of your FatSharks a headtracker?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
I loosened the straps almost all the way and it is perfect. One benefit of having the goggles resting on the helmet when not using them is that it keeps them clean. I used to push them up on my greasy, sweaty forehead between flights and the lenses would fog up and the foam around the eyepieces would fall off.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:22 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
p.s.
one more thing? is that lil' black box on top of your FatSharks a headtracker?
Yes, that is a DT-3K headtracker and I highly recommend it...no drift.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:25 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,606 Posts
where did you get that DT-3K ?

I know somewhere on this thread, Wobby recommended
a HeadTracker that has absolutely no drift whatsoever....
Is that it?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:25 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
936 Posts
That's too cool! My cousin got one of those Chevron Tonkas back around '77 at our family's Christmas Eve dinner. I was a wee tike back then but I remember it plain as day. Pretty neat seeing one again after all these years.
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73