HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:07 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Rob,

I don't think this is off subject at all!

I LOVE hearing how these pods are being used!

PLEASE post your videos on this thread!

I invite everyone to post your videos on this thread... By watching what you are doing, trying to do, successful AND NOT, I can learn more about what works, what doesn't work and what directions future efforts can be directed...

The previous Gaui 330X is a perfect example! I never thought of mounting an EyePod on one... If there are more using this aircraft, I may design an EyePod just for it and the same goes for other applications...

I've gone as far as mounting them on hunting dogs, I've got a friend raising them up masts on sailboats to see how racing crews perform... You just never know!

The magic in the EyePod, is the swivel ball... the housing can be designed to match... well... who knows!

Thanks for sharing

and... Great work! Tresa and I work with kids all the time... mostly teens and mostly kids that have lost their way, usually due to hardships that would leave most of us thinking twice and thanking the powers that be for what we have...

Thanks giving around here is a very heart felt holiday...

So Glad to learn about your organization!

Bravo!

Looking forward to seeing your video!

Best,
Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2010, 03:10 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
WOW!

Just went back to your post and viewed a larger image of the tennis court...

HOLY SMOKES!

I CONGRATULATE you and Kids & Bikes on an extremely impressive effort...

(I'll have to share this with Tresa... Goose bumps here... and a HUGE smile! I'm on my final day of this prototype project, totally stressing out because I ahve to ship tomorrow and thinking I'll be working straight through until I have to rush to the runway to get this thing on the plane... Seeing your photos just brought my blood pressure back down to an almost calm state!)

THANK YOU for sharing!

Richard
Old Dec 06, 2010, 12:43 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,666 Posts
330X & EyePod

Richard,

I will send one back for an exchange. the other I will keep for my planes. I have a few high-rez photos processing will include a link when they are done.

Wow! New camera and those are BIG files! I will post the link to them on ImageShack so you all do not have to wait for those monsters to load...

Here they are. I hope they work, my work blocks access to ImageShack...

http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php...xneyepod00.jpg
http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php...xneyepod01.jpg
http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php...xneyepod02.jpg
http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php...xneyepod03.jpg
http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php...xneyepod04.jpg
http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php...xneyepod05.jpg
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Last edited by GorillaBob; Dec 11, 2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Delete File
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:54 AM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
o yea , it arrived
now where is that manual
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:43 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Wow!

That seemed pretty fast for overseas shipping!

Or have I just been working too hard? Is this 2011 yet? Oh... it' still November!

I'll get it right...

Recovering from an incredible whirlwind adventure on my last client prototype project! TOTALLY exhausted here... but looking forward to seeing some videos taken from your eyepods!

Bob: I couldn't open your photos... Can you post them here on the thread so I can open them up here? Also looking for the diameter of your top "cap" on your ship... (What I'm thinking of is altering a Standard EyePod mold so that the corners are cut off to help create an easier way to mount them on your type of craft... )

Best,
Richard
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:49 AM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design View Post
Wow!

That seemed pretty fast for overseas shipping!

Or have I just been working too hard? Is this 2011 yet? Oh... it' still November!

I'll get it right...

Recovering from an incredible whirlwind adventure on my last client prototype project! TOTALLY exhausted here... but looking forward to seeing some videos taken from your eyepods!

Bob: I couldn't open your photos... Can you post them here on the thread so I can open them up here? Also looking for the diameter of your top "cap" on your ship... (What I'm thinking of is altering a Standard EyePod mold so that the corners are cut off to help create an easier way to mount them on your type of craft... )

Best,
Richard

yea i think it is fast to
and that for 5$ shipping , amazing
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:04 AM
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,666 Posts
Sure Richard,

Resizing them now so they aren't so danged big...

Hope they keep enough resolution for your needs...
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:27 AM
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,666 Posts
GAUI 330X Photos

ok, Lets see if these will do...
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:42 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Bob,

This is perfect...

However I have one question:

Why mount it on top? it will prohibit any chance of downward photography... I'm thinking that a mount that either wraps around the battery or uses a stand off to support the Eyepod mount just slightly away from the battery would be better... The landing gear could be extended to allow space underneath as needed. THis will allow full 360 degree x 180 degree of your EyePod mount to point horizontally to any other position including 45 degree and 90 degree downward viewing...

Let me know what you think!

Richard
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:28 PM
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,666 Posts
Richard,

Actually, most of the flyiers that use the GoPro are mounting it on the bottom. Only problem then is battery placement. Some camera mounts have a battery holder integrated and others are mounting the battery on top. On top wouldn't be a problem for me, I could mount it on the Payload mount. Also, with the abilities of the 330X, the ball could be mounted underneath and out the front on a small board, leaving room for the pack in the rear.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:43 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Let me try to draw a concept sketch of what I'm thinking of that wouldn't have to have your battery moved (thinking the CG would be better suited down rather than up?) I'll try to have something for you by Sunday.

Richard
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:00 PM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
395 Posts
Richard

I've looked over this thread a few times and I cannot find instructions to put the ball together. Can you please point it out to me?

Thanks
Geekmedic

Anyone able to help me with this? I'm getting pounded with an expected 12 inches of snow, nothing better to do than put my eyepods together.
geekmedic is online now Find More Posts by geekmedic
Last edited by geekmedic; Dec 11, 2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: snowing
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:36 AM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Richard

I've looked over this thread a few times and I cannot find instructions to put the ball together. Can you please point it out to me?

Thanks
Geekmedic

Anyone able to help me with this? I'm getting pounded with an expected 12 inches of snow, nothing better to do than put my eyepods together.
Hey, Geek - I've assembled four of them so I can tell you how I did it. There is a large disc drawn on the paper that came with the kit. That circle represents the inside diameter of the ball, cut that shape out of the 3mm foam supplied. (heres a better hint - after cutting the balls from their plastic card, press one half into the foam a bit, that will leave a very accurate mark for cutting out the foam disc)

After I made sure the disc fit into one half of the ball, I glued it into place with approximately half of the foam protruding, this gives a bit of lip for gluing the opposite ball half into place.

Hope this helps,

All the best, Don
dawjr is offline Find More Posts by dawjr
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
MN
Joined Jun 2006
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawjr View Post
Hey, Geek - I've assembled four of them so I can tell you how I did it. There is a large disc drawn on the paper that came with the kit. That circle represents the inside diameter of the ball, cut that shape out of the 3mm foam supplied. (heres a better hint - after cutting the balls from their plastic card, press one half into the foam a bit, that will leave a very accurate mark for cutting out the foam disc)

After I made sure the disc fit into one half of the ball, I glued it into place with approximately half of the foam protruding, this gives a bit of lip for gluing the opposite ball half into place.

Hope this helps,

All the best, Don
Thanks Don, your information has been helpful.

But where do I put the elastic tensioner, inside the ball? I'm guessing through the foam disc. Does it require a back plate to keep from pulling through the foam?
Doesn't something go into the top of the ball to help secure the camera in place?
geekmedic is online now Find More Posts by geekmedic
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:15 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Holey smokes!!! Ball instructions missing!!!!

GeekMedic...!

You are totally right!

I only posted the first of 6 (I think!) posts focusing ONLY on assembling the ball turret!!!!

I am SO sorry!

There are tons more photos with nothing left to the imagination...

I have a ton of stuff I have to do while it's light out today (Sunday), but as the temp drops and the darkness sets in, I'll come back here and post the remainder of the build....

I have NO IDEA what happened! I searched the thread thinking you were wrong, but I only found post #50 describing the creation of the trim tool and post #54 trimming the ball!!!!!! OMG! I have no idea where my brain went although Tresa would say something like, Hmmm you think you took on too much all at once? Maybe???

What I apparently remembered were the all the photos still in my files, (LOTS of them!), thinking I posted them but didn't!

I will get more posted tonight and guaranteed ALL of it by tomorrow morning...

Thank you for bringing up your question... I'd have never known if you didn't!

Best,
Richard