Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:52 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Price reduction! $7.50 shipping!

Well, at least for shipping...

Within the history of kit building I have, I a have always believed and attempted to keep within, no "extra" charges for shipping and often have had to spring a buck or two to cover the freight. Then I started averaging the costs within the US... New York to CA are different shipping from Oregon.

Then I tried Time Zones... that has been better but still cost more than I wanted.

A few others shared that there is a reason why manufacturers charge shipping and "Handling"... the time it takes to make labels, fill out insurance forms, load up the truck, drive to the post office, stand in line, get everything squared and then get back to the shop, really does make a difference...

so for the EyePod, I set the price for shipping and "Handling" at $8.50... after sending out tons of these guys, I'm realizing that the $8.50 is too much...

so from this point on, Shipping and "Handling" will be $7.50... (It still takes time for me to get these things ready to go, labeled, forms filled, driving, standing in line... but I have to accept part of this as the cost of doing business...

Hope this helps!

Best,
Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:41 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Shipping cost slash price #2 !!! :) Now: only $5 !!!! Insured!

I just shipped a batch of EyePods at the post office and most came to $7.70 each... I thought I had made a mistake in posting my previous price drop in shipping... Spoke with a supervisor to see what was available telling them I had to have them insured... Turns out that I did not have to use priority mail to get insurance! (I had been told earlier that I could only get insurance using priority mail!)

So, sending them anywhere in the upper 48 US states, is now only $5 insured! The difference, 1 to 2 days more, but almost half the original price! From here on , I will be charging only $5 for shipping and only shipping first class... As always, if anyone want's them sooner, just let m know before hand in an email to my website: www.jarelaircraftdesign.com

Also, although I have a lot of new updates (mostly video gallery), I have not inserted info on the EyePod yet.

Best,
Richard
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:47 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,258 Posts
EyePod Ready for Combat

Lets see if I can document some kills or close encounters.....
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:23 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
I love the Cylon look.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Feb 03, 2011, 09:28 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
That totally looks WICKED!

Never thought of painting them! gives a whole different look!

Fits the plane well too... as if it were the main fusealge pod...

Can't wait to see some "killer" video !

...or, some death spirals as you get killed! lol! I remember the days way back when, doing slope combat on Hughes Hill in LA... all up, last one down wins... no holes barred evolved into some interesting leading edges... heavy wire, hack saw blades, band saw blades... yeah, we got a "little crazy"... LOL!

Looks great! definitely looking forward to some video! (hope you're going to try some different positions besides forward? like who's on your tail? lol!

Have fun and thanks for posting!

Richard
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:41 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

I built my first Eyepod tonight. Cool...

I took some pics and deviated form Ricahrds instructions a little bit only because I'm more comfortable working with styrene in slightly different ways. I don't do it that much and I didn't want to goof something up too much.

Richard's balsa/exacto cutting tool is BRILLIANT !! It worked so well I am almost ready to buy lot more styrene parts just to use it!! It was the easiest cutting method I've ever used to trim styrene. Dragging the blade backwards is just great !!!

I laid out the parts and decided to use spray glue to tack the template to the foam to make it easy to cut to size.

I also copy and pasted Richard's instructions into my word processor and printed them so I could refer to them once I got going. In truth, I had read them a couple of times and only glanced at them a bit. They are very good and pre-reading them was the key. Still it was nice to have a paper copy to refer to when I was gluing myself to the styrene.

When I cut the hole for the turret ball in the upper structure I cut it close with the exacto then I used the Dremel to clean things up. This is slightly different than Richard shows but I got a nice result this way.

When I glued the cradle into the lower base I aligned it per the instructions and then tacked it to the base with a couple dots of CA to avoid moving it. Then I could wick CA around the cradle at my leisure.

Everything else went like Richard described until I got to adding the Turret to the base. I pushed a carbon rod (I had it sitting there, doesn't have to be carbon) and carefully CA'd it to the VERY end of the elastic. Then I just pulled the elastic through the base to save me the fight of trying to push that elastic through on it's own. Cut the end of the elastic and then added the retaining ring and set the Turret to it's final tension and glued with CA.

You'll notice I painted my Eypod a generic Grey to make it disappear on a warbird. I had thought about putting panel lines on it and airbrushing some weathering. Maybe later when I'm doing that on a aircraft build I'll grab the Eyepod and add those then.

I also thought about adding some gun barrels sticking out the back of the turret. I may yet. It would look cool with a couple of extra 50cal's sticking out of this mysterious pod on the bottom of a warbird !!

Alas, ideas for other times... I had fun putting the Eypod together tonight and I two more to build yet They will be done the same way except they are the aerodynamic style. I'll paint those Grey also or some sort of camo coloring.

I'm thinking I can use these during our Warbird day to let some flyers get video that have never had the chance to video their flights. We can add any good footage to our club video.

Hope these pics help someone in their build. Richard has done a GREAT job of showing use the trick and tips to make this come out really nice.

When I get a chance to strap the Eyepod to a warbird I'll take some pics.

Thanks Richard !!!

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Last edited by Joespeeder; Feb 09, 2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:38 AM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Wow, Joe. Great documentation! I read your post on my Blackberry and thought how cool it would be if you would post the file that you compiled of the instructions - logged on and saw that you already did.

Post a video when after you get her up in the air.

ps, I also like the guns idea! - I'm sure Richard will be knocked out too!

dawjr
dawjr is offline Find More Posts by dawjr
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:36 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Awesome job Joe!

Thank you so much for taking the time to create the PDF file!

I'll go back to the fort post and edit in your post number so others can get to it quicker.

and yes... I LOVE the idea of the twin 50 calibers LOL!!!!

Burning the midnight oil here on the current client prototype... Damn! I sure wish I could share with you what I do here... these "items" usually do not appear on the market for at least a year. (I'm biting my tongue here.... oh well... *I can share after it's been released to the public...)

moved my work from the shop back into the studio today (Went through two tanks of propane to keep the place warm while creating vacuum form bucks, detailing them and pulling parts. now the parts are in the studio and I'm creating the mechanics...

I see you guys working on your EyePods and whimper knowing I have a brand new HD version of the keychain camera and I won't be able to go out and fly until after March 1st (Working 7 days a week when I get going on these client prototype projects)

PS:

Although I loved your solution to the elastic cord, I think the problem is at my end... cutting them too short? Even though only less than half the length is used once tightened up, I think I should probably cut them longer to facilitate feeding them through the base easier?

best,
Richard
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Ricahrd,

Thanks for the kind words. I keep thinking about my 50 cal's and wondering if they might induce enough drag to shake the video due to wind on the barrels. I may make them removable when I do them.

As far as the elastic length. As long as you give enough to grab onto and work with I wouldn't go over board with extra. The length wasn't the problem as much as the blob of unwound covering at the end that made it hard to thread through the Eyepod. CAing or even melting the very tip without my rod might help. But for my hands the rod is my first response when building something like this.

If you've ever seen any of my builds you know that I'm known for having a fetish for LED nav, landing and gun port lights on my planes The result is I've gotten use to using a long rod to fish wires through structures. So the rod glued to the elastic is just my natural thought when building something like this.

I tried taping the elastic to the rad at first but that was too fat to fit through the holes I had made in the Eyepod. That's when I went to CA on the very tip of both. It worked well and I spent very little time on something that would have driven me nuts trying to thread the elastic through the hole. It also solved the issue of the elastic covering slightly unraveled bit on the end. The CA hardened it up and glued it to the rod. Job Done.

When you can share your latest project, be sure to let us know!! I love seeing that latest "project' and always learn something

I'll post any updates and some vid when I get that far.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Last edited by Joespeeder; Feb 10, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:02 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
smiling here...

I have fed MILES of small wires, fiber optics etc through robotic creatures, space ships and other assorted special effects "items"... I understand! lol! I almost alwasy feed thin piano wire in first, glue the wire or whatever, then feed it back... every once in a while I try to just feed it through and after a few minutes say out loud: Jarel! What are you doing?!??!??!?! You couldn't do it when you were a teenager, how do you expect do do it now?!?!?! LOL!

As for air drag on the guns... I doubt it... Vibration tends to be the culprit with camera position shifting... I've been so swamped with client work, I haven't had much time to work on modifications, upgrades etc... my first thought is to "rough sand" the area of the ball that comes into contact with the black rubber friction pad... my next strategy is to glue 4 or 5 small tabs of the black foam rubber around the inner foam ball hole reciever... maybe sticking in about 1/8" to 1/4" (?)... that way, as the ball is drawn into the main frame, you have the fingers pressing up against the ball all the way around and, the area touching the back pad is now rough and gets grabbed more securely by the back pad...

By the way, the thin foam rubber pads are available at your local crafts stores in all sorts of colors and is great for providing Rx protection and other uses... SUPER light and under a dollar for a square foot... worth playing with...

When I worked in the shop this past week I couldn't hear the computer calling me to let me know there was another email... the studio is nearer the computer and I can hear the little computer chime.... lol!

ok... back to making dust
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:11 PM
Where the Robots Roam
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design View Post
That totally looks WICKED!

Never thought of painting them! gives a whole different look!

Fits the plane well too... as if it were the main fusealge pod...

Can't wait to see some "killer" video !

...or, some death spirals as you get killed! lol! I remember the days way back when, doing slope combat on Hughes Hill in LA... all up, last one down wins... no holes barred evolved into some interesting leading edges... heavy wire, hack saw blades, band saw blades... yeah, we got a "little crazy"... LOL!

Looks great! definitely looking forward to some video! (hope you're going to try some different positions besides forward? like who's on your tail? lol!

Have fun and thanks for posting!

Richard
Richard,
Are you referring to the bluffs overlooking the old Hughes Aircraft Co. property in Culver City, CA?
Regards,
TCIII
TCIII is offline Find More Posts by TCIII
Last edited by TCIII; Feb 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
That's exactly where I was thinking...

I moved up to Oregon 10+ years ago... back then, the slope was kind of flyable (they fenced it off, but some of us launched electric powered slopers to fly over the fence, fly the slope and then get them back into the street... the fields down below were just that, no buildings, no wetlands "park"... AMAZING what happens ins a few years!

Ok... back to work here... totally burning the midnight oil and fighting a cold while prepping for a March 1st deadline... Eeeeek!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,329 Posts
Just found this thread. Great job Richard, and thanks Joe. Hope to have one of each style in the near future.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:24 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
New EyePod "housing"

Well, not really a housing except that the EyePod ball turret is built directly into this plane! lol!

Thanks for the kind words ken...

Seems to be a small but steady stream of people ordering... would sure like to see what all of you are doing with them...

Posting some photos here of what will be coming up in a month or two (no waiting lists yet... PLEASE! I just can't keep track with all that I'm currently working on) When the final version of the kit is completed, I'll post it here before going "public" on it's own thread in the park flier forum...

AUW is 17gr, 28" span, 18-11 2000kv 10gr brushless with a 2-S 360ma Rhino cell It will fit both the standard 808 and the HD key chain cameras exactly the way the EyePod's work (It's the same ball turret)...

The video is the maiden indoor flight and only my second time flying indoors ever... (bank and yank! lol!)

Hope you enjoy!

Richard
PS: Airborne video was taken using the new HD version of the key chain camera (Wide box format), the ground to air video was taken using an old Hi8 video tape camera. The "Targeted" airborne video of the hovering helicopter was taken with the camera pointed sideways in the EyePod ball turret.

UAV kit, indoor flying with onboard footage (1 min 1 sec)
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:33 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,329 Posts
I am just blown away by the awesome detail Richard. Now I need to figure how to move the ball remotely.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project