HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Patrick, so glad you posted photos...

a few things I noticed that will definitely help:

Your lens added a lot of weight outside the ball so (as you suspected and already mentioned), you need to be able to position the camera further inside the ball...

another thing... I'm looking at the space forward and behind the highest part of your wing... if you put some extra foam to help support the camera it would help a lot!

Another thing to check... when the elastic retainer cord is installed, it has to be pulled TIGHT so that the ball is firmly up against the black foam rubber pad inside the base...

(I haven't looked at the video yet but I have to get going this am and wanted to reply...
there may be more later, but try these things and I think you'll find that you solve them all...

Best,
Richard
jarel design is offline Find More Posts by jarel design
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
just looked at the video...

I also think that the size of the lens sticking outside the camera ball could have been blown back by the prop and air speed... I noticed that there was a quick turn from forward to side and then back, but it never continued vibrating around to forward again... I think the size of the lens was caught in the wind and helped pull the camera around... cool effect, although not if that's not what you wanted...

another thing... VIBRATION! have you balanced your prop? notice the waviness in your video until you turn the motor off for landing approach? it gets really smooth when you come in for your landing... that should be your goal all around... Try balancing your prop or switching to different props to see what effect it has on your video picture...

Great job! I LOVE your skis! Wonder if any corsairs ever had skis... looks cool!

Best
Richard
Old Dec 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
netherlands
Joined Mar 2010
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design View Post
just looked at the video...

I also think that the size of the lens sticking outside the camera ball could have been blown back by the prop and air speed... I noticed that there was a quick turn from forward to side and then back, but it never continued vibrating around to forward again... I think the size of the lens was caught in the wind and helped pull the camera around... cool effect, although not if that's not what you wanted...

another thing... VIBRATION! have you balanced your prop? notice the waviness in your video until you turn the motor off for landing approach? it gets really smooth when you come in for your landing... that should be your goal all around... Try balancing your prop or switching to different props to see what effect it has on your video picture...

Great job! I LOVE your skis! Wonder if any corsairs ever had skis... looks cool!

Best
Richard

i have uploaded another video
in this one i had some electric tape over the ball so it didn,t move
i also cut the ball now so the camera is in more , and made the " string " tighter
next time i also going to use a 2 blade prop and see how it looks
love the pod , great piece

regards patrick

parkzone f4u corsair snowpatrol 2 (5 min 53 sec)
patrick39 is offline Find More Posts by patrick39
Old Dec 22, 2010, 03:52 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Patrick,

I'm still seeing a lot of vibration in the form of the cowl shaking in the photo... Curious about how you are mounting it... how out of balance your prop might be (SO IMPORTANT to balance your props meticulously when flying aerial photography... also wondering about mounting your eyepod further back on and behind the canopy...

also try mounting some foam rubber in between your plane and the eyepod...

IT's all a matter of testing and trial and error... My first thought are to balance the prop and try different sizes...

Thank you for sharing!!!

Best,
Richard

PS: still watching your video as I write... I notice that the vibration comes and goes relative to motor rpms... try climbing and then turning the motor off and watch what happens...
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:12 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Happy New year!

Thought I'd share a modification to the Standard EyePod for those facing similar "unusual" mounting positionshttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334276.

Normally, a horizontal mount, wing, fusealge, top or bottom, provides endless camera angles...

On the EyePlane design:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1334276

The EyePod is mounted in front at a forty-five degree angle. I received questions about side facing cameras... here is my solution in a video I took with my new camera... (there was just a long enough break from rain and snow for me to get out of the shop for a few minutes to "play":

EyePlane, with Modifed EyePod for side view (1 min 8 sec)

Wishing you all a wonderful new year!

Richard
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:40 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hi Richard,

Not sure if you've seen the new HD KeyFob cams. Here's that info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692

Do you have EyePods still available of each type ?

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:07 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Hi Joe,

*smiling here*

I ordered mine a few weeks ago and recieved it a few days ago... Too busy to test it out until today! LOL!

LOVED the picture! like others, I'm not too happy about the auto exposure feature, but I've yet to test it in flight... The guys on that thread are a great combination of total electronic wizardry genius combined with the tenacious approach I put into my airframe designs and I'm sure they'll figure out a way to control or eliminate it...

Still. I LOVE the picture and will probably order more!

Working on a few modification on the EyePod (internal application of foam rubber around the ball for additional anti-vibration (stuff anyone could do to their existing EyePods...)

Also working on two new aerial photography planes designed around the EyePod mount system... Pretty much planning on using these tiny HD cameras a LOT!!!!

(Laughing because previous to that, I ordered four more of the regular key chain cameras but like them as well) These cameras are just amazing (both HD and regular).. for the price of them combined with the EyePod mount, there's a whole lot we can do without investing a lot of money...

Since the first few batches of EyePods to go out, I continue to recieve orders for more and so I am keeping them in stock at all times!

I have about a dozen of both Standard and aerodynamic versions boxed and ready to go in stock now... Pay pal will get them to you quick! (Just read your question... not about availability but if the new HD camera fits... They are exactly the same so both cameras are interchangeable with the EyePod... (In fact, I have to figure out a way to mark my HD camera to tell them apart! lol!)

Made a modification for use in the EyePlane over in that thread here in the aerial photography forum.... On the EyePlane, the main camera mount is set at a 45 degree angle (not something most would do on "regular" planes we mount them on... to get a side view, I added an additional slot so that the camera can point to the side and be level with the wings... posted a quick video there recently to show what is possible...

Still working on an EyePod mount for small CX2 type helicopters and for mounting on small diameter round fusealges like the scale hellcat, ME 109 and thin fusealge sailplanes... These have taken a back seat to two new airplane kits now in development, but imagine having them ready before March.

Thanks for posting the heads up as others here might not have heard about the new HD version...

Is your link to the HD dedicated thread? It was discussed in the original "Mega key chain 808 thread" until enough info and interest inspired a new HD dedicated thread... They've already figured out how to remove/control the time/date stamp... (still a little beyond my computer expertise and until I get a few more, I don;t want to risk my only HD camera...

Hoping to see some photos posted here with how you are mounting your EyePods and to what planes and videos with th results as well! Especially if anyone has begun to modify their EyePods for some speciallized application or improvement...

Ok.... just blew off ton of dust and ready for another round of work... (The sun just came out... flying? Hmmm actually I need to go for a walk (doctor's orders... diabetes that can and has been under control if I just get myself outside and WALK! hard to do when my excitement developing more airplane kits and accessories is so high... feels like I'm wasting time, but know that I always feel better, energized, more efficient and relaxed...

Ok... I'll walk... THEN I'll get back to work! lol!

Best,
Richard
Old Jan 05, 2011, 05:08 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Now I'm REALLY laughing at myself... so much to keep track of... Just saw that I posted the video with the EyePlane side view mount just above your post...

Definitely need to go walk and clear my mind!

LOL!
Old Jan 07, 2011, 04:38 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hi Richard,

Yup my link goes to the new HD Keyfob Cam thread.

In that thread they have links that take you to the important bits including the process to remove the time/date stamps!! Yeaaaaayy.... Been waiting for that for a long time.

Great to hear you're keeping Eyepods in stock. I've got to talk to some other local guys that mentioned they might like one when I described what you created.

Either way I'll be getting a couple... Once I get ramped up on this project I'll be sure to show off our videos/installations.

Your mounts with the HD Cam is like.... Well.... Buttahh......

Thanks. I'll be back.

Joe
Joespeeder is online now Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:52 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
Thank Joe!

I just emails the vendor I purchased my HD camera from to find out if mine was one of the later models that allowed the firmware changes to delete the time and date... apparently, on some of the older ones, using the program would "kill" (?) the camera... having all the answers to question at the front of that thread is truly wonderful... It's been cloudy and cold here for days and it's supposed to snow again this weekend... hoping to take up my EyePlane with the new HD camera and get some aerial shots...

Also working on landing gear for the EyePlane so I can carry an extra camera on board by attaching a second standard EyePod to the belly and not have to land on it! lol!

Best,
Richard
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
This is a message I sent to Don - but I'll post it here for the rest of the EYEPOD / EYEPLANE community as well :

The basics : I deleted the mobility portion of my EYEPOD. I'd much rather have a fixed camera position... also less moving parts the less than can go wrong in-flight. (due to operator error, not product design... tee hee).

a) I don't have to worry about the string being tight, or replacing the string if it ever lost it's elasticity
b) less moving parts means means less sections that I have to isolate for vibration

to accomplish this, I simply glued HALF of the ball into the hole, I then set the plane up on a jig and eyeballed the location for my camera mounting hole. I then put moon gel in between the plane and the EyePod and it works GREAT.

You may say "well now you only have 1 fixed camera position dork - congrats on going backwards." This is true... my work-around for having a fixed position mount is that I have 3 separate EyePods, each with the hole cut out. I take all three with me with the rig - mount my desired pod and fly.

1) 90 degrees / setup for long-distance... basically this one is ALMOST pointed straight ahead (sunsets, ocean, farmland - etc). High altitude
2) 45 degrees / short-range urban... low to medium altitude
3) 0 --> 10 degrees / surveying - search and rescue (LOL), mapping. Low alt to high alt depending on desired resolution.

EYEPOD MODIFICATION IDEA (2 min 2 sec)
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Jan 11, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:33 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
^^ edit
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:37 PM
Southern Oregon
Joined Apr 2004
1,908 Posts
How do we get to see the video? (What a tease! lol!)

Not sure if this is applicable but... you never know...

In my first Vista AP (Using a Nikon... MUCH larger plane) I had a rotating camera mount but had a pivot that locked it in several different places.. Most planes don't always fly level... some have a slight pitch up especially in slow flight (when the best shots usually happened)... I would number each position and then flashed a card in front of the camera before take off with the pivot location that particular flight was shot... Then back at the computer I could see the differences and have a way to repeat that... not sure if it's too late, but you might be able to do that with your EyePod and then glue it in the position you liked best... after... you had seen the video...

The elastic is cheap, available at fabric stores and lasts a long time before wearing out...

just a thought...

still... would LOVE to see the video! lol!

ps: Haven't been around here because I've been working on TWO new kits! almost completed tooling on one and hope to have the other completed some time next week... then it's time to produce the parts, build the two planes and see how the final versions perform (Prototypes have been wonderful! (Using the same airfoil developed for the EyePlane! I REALLY loved the way it handled and performed... only hope it works the same on these two smaller planes...

Ok... just finished pouring molds and my bed is calling me...

Thanks for sharing!

Richard
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
Jerk of all trades
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Thanks for the input, Sentry. Look forward to the videos too.

dawjr
dawjr is offline Find More Posts by dawjr
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
The simple fix for stopping the vibration was a 2x2 inch square piece of shipping taped taped to the side of the fuse near the engine (both sides). I was trying way too hard (It's the 3M tape w/ fiber embedded). You can see the footage where there are slight waves, that was before the mod.

EYEPLANE - Jarel Aircraft Design (3 min 11 sec)
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Jan 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM.