HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:16 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Discussion
I would think that even this would fall under the 1st Amendment

I may not like what he has to say, but I think he does have the right to say it.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Then again, Youtube is a privately owned company and can set its own standards for speech... interesting.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:23 PM
Lavishly Winged Dork
Miami, Fl
Joined Feb 2004
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Then again, Youtube is a privately owned company and can set its own standards for speech... interesting.
Just like what has been argued on this very site (RCG). Juan Williams on the other hand...
JohnnyDeluxe is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyDeluxe
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
I may not like what he has to say, but I think he does have the right to say it.

Ive no problem with it (the decision to censor him) under the Logic of not being able to yell fire in a crowded theater , or speach designed to rally people into committing crimes . This Terrorist's speach - Imploring his fellow islams to Jihad against the west , directly falls under the second component of my first sentence . If his followers follow his directives , people WILL die - i can see NO better reason to pull his garbage off the Net than that

Oh , and before Im called an "Islamaphobe" , let me state here and now that if it was a Christian , Buddist , or any other religious group attempting to advocate the killing of people , Id be FINE with that speach being censured as well

Once lives are being threatened , it no longer even remotly resembles speach that ought to be free
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Nov 03, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:47 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Not so sure I'd buy that argument ... yeah ... you'd probably have a point in a court of law though.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:48 PM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Oh , and before Im called an "Islamaphobe" , let me state here and now that if it was a Christian , Buddist , or any other religious group attempting to advocate the killing of people , Id be FINE with that speach being censured as well
Yup.

Somethings go beyond the blah blah blah part and the drone of words. And then it isn't a speech anymore. Or at least I wouldn't describe it as a speech.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
Yup.

Somethings go beyond the blah blah blah part and the drone of words. And then it isn't a speech anymore. Or at least I wouldn't describe it as a speech.
Yes Sir my Friend , their rights to free speach end when that speach advocates murder . I know it may sound "heavy Handed" on the surface , but I just wont beleive the Right to criticize your Government ( which IS free speach !) , and advocating murder and mayhem (which darned well deserves to be banned), both live under the same protection of the First Amendment .
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:49 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Yes Sir my Friend , their rights to free speach end when that speach advocates murder . I know it may sound "heavy Handed" on the surface , but I just wont beleive the Right to criticize your Government ( which IS free speach !) , and advocating murder and mayhem (which darned well deserves to be banned), both live under the same protection of the First Amendment .
And again, on LTUP no less..we have an example of common sense. Outstanding!!
Y'know, I'd be willing to bet even money on the left and right on this board coming to agreement more often than our elected "officials"..
Anyway, I'm going to bed, hopefully I'll dream about Isky cams, Stude 289s and old timers with Nelsons in the nose..
Cash
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Nov 04, 2010, 03:41 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
I think it's always a mistake to censor - let fools make fools of themselves - it works against them
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:21 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
I think it's always a mistake to censor - let fools make fools of themselves - it works against them
Oh Lord, please use your infinite wisdom to help me hold my tongue...
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:35 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,856 Posts
Censorship is a slippery slope. Political and religious thought usually end up being censored when he hammer falls.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:42 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:

You answered the question yourself.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "free speech" and everything to do with a private company setting it's own standards of decency.

What I find funny is that anyone can look at what goes on in America and looks for a problem that doesn't exist when the entire rest of the world practices forced censoring based upon political speech (the speech that was singled out to be "free" in the Constitution of America) and never care or say a word about it.
It's only we Americans who are expected to be held to any kind of standard at all, but the rest of the world gets a free pass.

Although, I have to admit that much of that isn't the fault of the observer because, if you think about it, the observer isn't allowed to observe the constrictions of foreign "free speech" by the very nature of the censorship.

That which has not been seen cannot be reported. And that, of course, is the purpose of censoring by governments such as in the Middle East and the newly oppressive South American countries.

Funnier yet, we here in America are so obsessed with "free speech" that wacky people have to make up wild stories of non-existent events and then they make up the additional wacky story that their theories are "proven" true but are being repressed because our government suppresses all this "free speech". The funny part is that these wacky people get to mouth off with no censorship at all by the same government that they accuse of censoring "the truth".
Go figger'.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:01 AM
Joined May 2010
42 Posts
To All

You free this, or Gov is the best at type people.your choices of freedom only seems to ring true if it fits your brand of freedom.well what is your brand? To the gov worshipers, its let daddy gov. take care of me cradle to grave.to most of you Rinos, since i,m a Conservative Libertarian.Ill just take the closest easy look. The Drug War. you rinos stop so short of freedom you stink to heavens gates. Freedom of speech is also encompassed by that statement too. if you look back at a few earlier post on this subject, I stated my body my choice. that is also speech too. Id like you to really think if you have the right to say what i can say or do or not then ask yourself, Would you allow someone else to adopt there view of life to rule yours. Facts are unless you agree with me you to are a neo______. Freedom of speech protects the worst case speech, not the best.This also includes bolstering ranks to kill whoom ever we deem as evil. In a privet board yes you can stifle it, true.but i,m shure ill get the hacks that think they can legeslate morality.
QQuestor is offline Find More Posts by QQuestor
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:15 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
You answered the question yourself.

This has absolutely nothing to do with "free speech" and everything to do with a private company setting it's own standards of decency.

What I find funny is that anyone can look at what goes on in America and looks for a problem that doesn't exist when the entire rest of the world practices forced censoring based upon political speech (the speech that was singled out to be "free" in the Constitution of America) and never care or say a word about it.
It's only we Americans who are expected to be held to any kind of standard at all, but the rest of the world gets a free pass.

Although, I have to admit that much of that isn't the fault of the observer because, if you think about it, the observer isn't allowed to observe the constrictions of foreign "free speech" by the very nature of the censorship.

That which has not been seen cannot be reported. And that, of course, is the purpose of censoring by governments such as in the Middle East and the newly oppressive South American countries.

Funnier yet, we here in America are so obsessed with "free speech" that wacky people have to make up wild stories of non-existent events and then they make up the additional wacky story that their theories are "proven" true but are being repressed because our government suppresses all this "free speech". The funny part is that these wacky people get to mouth off with no censorship at all by the same government that they accuse of censoring "the truth".Go figger'.
There is a limit to how intelligent a person can be.....no so with stupidity.....it is boundless
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:23 AM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:

This just proves the fact that the MAJORITY of this religion are all Killers , nothing but , always have, and always will be.
Why the world even lets them out of their own country, to infest other countries is beyond me!
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:32 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2008
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Oh Lord, please use your infinite wisdom to help me hold my tongue...
Don't worry. It didn't need to be said out loud anyway. Everyone else was thinking exactly the same thing.
saltyzoo is offline Find More Posts by saltyzoo