HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:07 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Eindecker build log?

I have just started building my EIII Walnut scale by Dumas. I've been flying largish planes for 25 plus years. I currently enjoy 1/4 scale WW1. Recently I bought a HZ Champ and am having a ball flying it in the front yard. I recently went walking through my lhs and came across the EIII. The thought of it wooshing through my clubs indoor winter flying crossed my mind and I bought it on site. I used to build stick and tissue stuff before I was old enough to have a job to buy RC stuff. So I'm not a complete newb to the small ones. I was going to buy the AR6400 and bind it to the transmitter I had from the champ, then I went to the lhs and started getting all the components for the EIII. Long story short, I bought another Champ just as a donor for all radio, engine, tx, battery and charger. It was much cheaper that way. I love the way the Champ flies, so when I weighed it I felt pretty confident I can build the EIII at or under the weight of the champ. My everyday flying champ weighs in at 40g. I think I can get that EIII a lot less than that, so hopefully I should be good. I know the Champ has a few more inches of wing, but I'm not too concerned.

So, to all the micro Guru's out there...is this doable?

I would like to do a build thread on it, mostly for my own selfish reasons. I have already found some issues that will make me scratch my head. So, hopefully someone else can get some good info off this as well as me.
I'll post some pictures asap so everyone can give their critiques. Just be easy on me.
On a side note, it's much different building at this scale with tweezers and toothpicks than building on a wing stretched halfway across my garage. I do like having my entire build on a 4 x 24 piece of 1/2" balsa. Very easy to move it to the (warm) kitchen table that way. You micro guys may have just found a new member.

Anyone interested?
Martin
mcjustis is offline Find More Posts by mcjustis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:50 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Martin, do not ask...just do it the Eindecker is a neat plane, love to see it while you build it. You are OK, you can get few grams of total weight. The Eindecker has a lot of wing area, only a tip, enlarge the rudder and stab area...I remember that are an article about an all balsa Eindecker in an Magazine, I have the plan...

Cheers.

Al
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:02 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
The stab is already enlarged, the scale size is drawn on the plans and it's waay too small. I didn't even think about the rudder being bigger. I may just do that.
Thanks,
Martin
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:41 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,599 Posts
Consider forming the tail surface outlines by wet laminating 3-4 strips of balsa around a form. You can save a bunch of weight and gain some extra strength in the tail over gluing the curved bits of wood together to from the perimiter of the tail surfaces.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:31 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Mc, even the concept is similar to the Bleriot, I thought the small rudder could not to be effective, so I enlarged a bit, and it works fine, just for the long arm, this area is enough to control.

Cheers.

Al
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:37 AM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
I hate to be a spoil-sport, but I think it's too heavy, especially with the built-up cowling...too heavy of wood, too much frame. You'll prolly need a Mustang motor. I shelved mine...

You may have better luck with depron sheet foam.

But again, I shelved that one also... Make sure to stuff all the gear/guts as FAR FORWARD as possible, and forget about the hardwood dummy engine cylinders.
The Skylake model may be a better choice...
oops...their website is down...
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Last edited by Brent Slensker; Nov 04, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:43 AM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Nice work, wath is the diference of structure weight betwen balsa stick an foam?

Cheers.

Al
Old Nov 04, 2010, 12:41 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Alfredo;
Balsa fuselage = 4.8 grams, but I will eventually grind off the heavy cowling....
Depron fuselage = 3.1 grams
Balsa wings = 3.2 grams, but I sanded the wing bottoms to get under-camber.
Your Bleriot looks cool Alfredo!

Martin;
Hmmm.. I may have to reconsider this build, it may be light enough. At the time I did not have a spare Mustang motor and gearbox, but I do now.
I was following another build thread where the gentleman had built a very beautiful EIII but the center of gravity was tail heavy... I'll look for it.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:17 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
I weighed all wood parts this morning. All up is 8 grams. No radio, pushrods, undercarriage or covering. I have some spare solite covering. Anyone know how that compares weight wise to tissue?
Martin
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:23 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Brent, thanks for your kind words, and the answer, definetely not only the weight save, is more easy to work with foam.

Cheers.

Al
Old Nov 04, 2010, 03:39 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjustis View Post
I weighed all wood parts this morning. All up is 8 grams. No radio, pushrods, undercarriage or covering. I have some spare solite covering. Anyone know how that compares weight wise to tissue?
Martin
No idea, I always use Esaki tissue

Edit: attached with thinned Elmer's white glue.
Last edited by Brent Slensker; Nov 04, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:23 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,811 Posts
" Anyone know how that compares weight wise to tissue?"
Lately I have started using Coverlite with Balsarite for small planes. It look and feel very much like tissue&dope without the smell! and weight about 1oz/square yard and shrink well without distorting light frames. It come in several color, including Cream (COVQ1805)which would be perfect for your Eindecker. Since you apply adhesive only were needed to attach there is very little added weight.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:43 PM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Okay, so back to the build, sorry for the delay. I've not really taken many pics of the plane in the build phase. I've attached the wings and built the fuselage. Now is where it's getting interesting. I'm ready to attach the radio components as well as the motor. I've got the motor where I want it, and it's ready to go in after some final sanding.
I do have a question, on the tail surfaces, I'm thinking of using a small tube and a small wire as a pivot hinge. On the elev. I would split it in two pieces to make a full flying stab. The rudder would get a small wire on the front and a tube glued to fuse and tailskid. This is what I've come up with, maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. Either way, that's what I'm gonna do.
Brent... I prefer the balsa build to the foam. This hobby is still (for me at least) about having a good time building. This to me is part of it. I want to have a plane for my clubs indoor flying that nobody else will have.
Here is a pic of it as it sits now. I'm having a ball, and that's what's important to me!
Martin
Old Nov 08, 2010, 10:53 PM
Moderador.
Joined Sep 2002
9,264 Posts
Martin, if you let me, maybe is better to use carbon fiber instead wire, few fractions of grams in tail is better

Congratulatios, nice shape

Cheers.

Al
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:07 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Al,
I had planned on using some carbon fiber rod for the back end 'hinges'. I may use it on the landing gear as well.
Martin