HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
8 Posts
Discussion
Syma S107 help

I just received my S107 from xheli and I'm having a couple issues I can hopefully get some help on.

First the backstory... I bought a Lama V4 and also one of those Micro Shark helicopters that are supposedly the smalles gyro 3-channel helis in the world. Well I flew the Shark for a few days and a piece broke. No problem, just order the part and fix it... WRONG. They don't sell parts for it. So I got it exchanged for the S107.

So now to the problems with the S107.

First, it occasionally and randomly gets small power interruptions which (as you know) make it fall from flight, most of the time all the way to the ground, but occasionally the power will pick back up and save a crash. Is there something I could have done to cause this issue, or a way to solve it?

Also, the TBE seems to be worse than anticipated. It will hover perfectly and flies around awesome, but if I come to a quick stop (release the forward toggle) it will TBE constantly until I move it around and slowly come to a stop. Is there a quick fix for this?

I was almost ready to pull the weights out of the flybar, but having it TBE already, I can only imagine it will get worse if it can fly and stop faster. Or maybe that will help the problem?

Other than those issues, it seems like a cool heli. Seems well-built for being so small, and very durable.

On another note, the Lama V4 is a cool heli that I am looking forward to upgrading and expanding. I can take it up to my old HS gym and fly it around with no worries... first thing to buy is extra batteries as the downtime for charging is a real PITA! Am I going to hurt it by flying it back to back to back like that? How much down-time should I allow it between flights to cool off? Sorry for so many questions in 1 thread...

jfowl
jfowl31 is offline Find More Posts by jfowl31
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 12:35 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Do not fly a single LV4 back to back. It will quickly destroy the motors from overheat. If you can't leave your finger on the motor it's too hot. 20min is good cooldown time, less than recharge.

Later 107s are not as precise as early ones. Links and balls can be slightly burred and cause TBE. Examine closely, smooth as needed.

I get 'power interruptions' on 107 too. One of two causes. Either you're forgetting to aim controller at aircraft. Or a light source is interfering. Window, TV, fluorescent.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Nov 04, 2010, 12:41 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Yep......I've encountered IR interference in the form of throttle glitches from those sources also and it's not limited to my S107....has happened with my other IR helis also.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 04, 2010, 01:09 AM
Throttle-Hold Expert
Spokane
Joined Jan 2009
564 Posts
Yah, pull the curtains when you fly it and it shouldn't cut out.
sv1000s is offline Find More Posts by sv1000s
Old Nov 04, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Snap the flybar link(s) on/off a couple of times, this seems to help smooth out TBE on new parts.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Oct 2010
8 Posts
Is what I am describing actually TBE? It will hover fine, but say if I fly it forward and then come to a quick stop it will rock around in a circle but holds its heading.

I just don't want to be using the wrong phrase if that's not TBE.

In the meantime I'll try popping the links on and off and see if that will help.

I wouldn't be worried if it would settle in and hover after a second or 2, but it keeps rocking and won't settle in until I move it forward and VERY slowly bring it to a stop.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:50 PM
Joined Oct 2010
8 Posts
Oh and I shut the blinds today and flew it in the living room and never had a power interruption. Neither my Syma mini-Chinook or the micro-shark I had before the S107 would get those interruptions. Will an LCD TV effect the signal at all?
Old Nov 05, 2010, 09:18 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I think the IR's code sys is more advanced/sensitive to lost transmission than earlier copters. It seems as if the 6020's had a way of staying with whatever the last control inputs were when this happens.
Got a copter you can't adjust the trim on? Read this.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:04 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowl31 View Post
Oh and I shut the blinds today and flew it in the living room and never had a power interruption. Neither my Syma mini-Chinook or the micro-shark I had before the S107 would get those interruptions. Will an LCD TV effect the signal at all?
An LCD tv can affect the signal .
If I fly my S107 too close to my tv it plummets to the ground then the rotor blades start spinning again when it picks up the signal .
I always turn the tv off when I'm flying and that problem has gone
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:22 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
But my wonky Plasma TV doesn't do this. Huh.

I just learned that except for ONE model, vidgame "light guns" don't work with LCD/Plasma displays. Somehow, I'd missed that. Bummer.

Come see my HUGE 3-channel Helicopter collection!
http://www.killbuckets.com/copters.htm
Last edited by killbucket; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:53 PM.