HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:50 PM
Budd Lake NJ
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Discussion
A good charger for my 6S packs?

Hi, I recently bought a Trex 500 and came to the realization that my Thunder AC6 50 Watt charger is inadaquate for charging my 3300Mah 6S lipos. I did some research on line and found some heavier duty chargers. I came across this Bantam BC6-10 charger. It's 200watts and 10amps. I referenced it from a two year old thread on helifreak:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...AN-ECH610.html

It uses DC power. Does this mean I can only charge it from my car? Are there high output chargers like this that I can plug into the wall? Sorry, I'm kinda dumb when it comes to this stuff but I really enjoy my new Trex and would like to find the right charger.

Thanks in advance, Mike
Mikeshobby is offline Find More Posts by Mikeshobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:06 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeshobby View Post
Hi, I recently bought a Trex 500 and came to the realization that my Thunder AC6 50 Watt charger is inadaquate for charging my 3300Mah 6S lipos. I did some research on line and found some heavier duty chargers. I came across this Bantam BC6-10 charger. It's 200watts and 10amps. I referenced it from a two year old thread on helifreak:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...AN-ECH610.html

It uses DC power. Does this mean I can only charge it from my car? Are there high output chargers like this that I can plug into the wall? Sorry, I'm kinda dumb when it comes to this stuff but I really enjoy my new Trex and would like to find the right charger.

Thanks in advance, Mike
Mike,

Most high power chargers need DC power and don't have built in AC converters. The Bantam is a great charger. You may want to also consider these.

FMA Power Lab 8
Hyperion Duo

One thing I would suggest is getting a charger that can charge more then one pack at a time like the Duo. Hobby City also sells a charger that will do 4 at once though I believe it's a bit less powerful then the FMA or Duo.

Powering these off your car battery will not work all that well and will kill your battery in a hurry. "Regular" car batteries aren't desinged to be discharged and your alternator isn't designed to charge it but to maintain the voltage while in use. Trust me, I killed a battery in only a year charging my big packs at the field.

So,

You will need a power supply for the high power chargers but you can get fairly powerful chargers with built in A/C converters. Hyperion and Triton make them.

Get a charger that can charge more then one pack at a time.

Don't get in the habbit of charging your big packs at the field.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:19 PM
Budd Lake NJ
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Thanks. The Hyperion Duo looks like a nice charger. I'm a little apprehensive about the Hyperion chargers however. I had a Hyperion EO606i charger crap out on me just before the one year warrenty ran out and then the replacement crapped out just after a year. That's 0 for 2. lol.

For a DC charger I'm guessing I'm gonna need a DC power supply like this one I found at Tower Hobbies:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXEX4&P=FR

Is there a cheaper alternative for a DC power supply?
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:56 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. The Hyperion Duo looks like a nice charger. I'm a little apprehensive about the Hyperion chargers however. I had a Hyperion EO606i charger crap out on me just before the one year warrenty ran out and then the replacement crapped out just after a year. That's 0 for 2. lol.

For a DC charger I'm guessing I'm gonna need a DC power supply like this one I found at Tower Hobbies:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXEX4&P=FR

Is there a cheaper alternative for a DC power supply?
My Hyperion Duo has been going strong for two years now. One of the fans may need to be replaced but I live in HI and the air is filled with salt spray all the time.

Do you have a Radio Shack around because it would save a bit of money on the PS. I got mine from one of the LHS when I lived in San Diego. If you have any kind of electronics or computer store you can convert a ATX power supply really easy. Unless you get a really cheap computer PS it isn't going to save you that much. I got one from a old computer for free and it lasted for several years. I'd also check the for sale section and ebay. Just make sure you get one that is good to at least 20 amps @ 12-13 volts. To get the max ratting of any charger you have to put the max rated input voltage to them. In the Duo's case I think it's above 20 volts and PS that output that much are expensive.

I store my packs at 60% after every weekend so when I'm ready to charge it goes quick. If you fly with HC packs you can afford to buy a bunch and not worry about charging at the field.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:51 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,053 Posts
The Bantam 6-10 has been updated to the BC6HP with lots of upgrades. 250Watts and 10A with 15V input. You can check out the Bantam series chargers at RcAccessories.com. For dual input (AC/DC), check out the BC8DP.

Another popular series of chargers are the Ichargers. You can have a look at those at ProgressiveRc.com

Once you figure out which charger you will get, you can figure what what power supply you will need. Have a look here for more info on PS's.
About power supplies

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:18 PM
Budd Lake NJ
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Another popular series of chargers are the Ichargers. You can have a look at those at ProgressiveRc.com

KC
Thanks. That's a nice site. I'm looking at this one:

http://progressiverc.com/FMA%20Cellp...20Features.pdf

I just can't figure out if it has a built in balancer. It says "full power balancing" right on it so I'm assuming it does. Also, can this one charge two batteries at once?
Last edited by Mikeshobby; Nov 03, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:42 PM
Budd Lake NJ
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Here's a better link to it:

http://progressiverc.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1

It looks like it balances but the only draw back is that it only dual charges up to 5S packs. I guess I can live with that because I can charge two of my smaller packs at the same time at least.

Here's a power supply:

http://progressiverc.com/index.php?p...emart&Itemid=1
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:52 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,363 Posts
Quote:
Also, can this one charge two batteries at once?
All lipoly chargers are capable of charging multiple batteries of the same cell count at the same time. Look here.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:56 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,053 Posts
If you are looking to charge multiple packs at the same time, have a look at this thread.About parallel charging of Lixx / PB packs.

There are some really nice parallel charging boards out there. Here is one that a lot of people seem to like.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post15964874

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Nov 04, 2010, 05:21 AM
Joined Jan 2004
2,482 Posts
If you are inetersted in parallel are series charging packs, stick with the Bantam product line. Bantam has both parallel and series charging boards for their BC6 and BC8 series chargers. The parallel boards have poly switches that prevent damage from one pack to another. The only other company that has this safety fearure is FMA for their new Powerlab 8 charger.

If you want built in AC power in the charger, then I would recommend the Bantam BC8DP charger. The BC8DP is the highest powered AC charger on the markat as of now. 100 watts on AC and 200 watts on DC power. We are also the North American service center for Bantam products.

www.rcaccessory.com
RC Accessory is offline Find More Posts by RC Accessory
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 04, 2010, 08:36 AM
Budd Lake NJ
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Thanks for the information and the links. Iv'e learned a lot about charging already and I think I little bit of knowledge might save me some of money and aggravation.

The Bantom chargers look nice but they are a little pricey. I'm thinking I might go with a DC charger and a PS. I'm leaning toward a i206B with the 350watt 15V PS.

Does anyone have a link to a paralel charging board for sale?
Old Nov 04, 2010, 09:29 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Does anyone have a link to a paralel charging board for sale?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1302613
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:14 AM
Budd Lake NJ
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Thanks.

I wound up getting an iCharger 206B, the iCharger 350 PS and a Paraboard from www.epbuddy.com. I hope it all works out.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 11:20 AM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.

I wound up getting an iCharger 206B, the iCharger 350 PS and a Paraboard from www.epbuddy.com. I hope it all works out.
Very good choice, you won't be sorry...

Ben
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:47 PM
Budd Lake NJ
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
I saw a you tube video of someone charging multiple 3S packs with different capacities. Will this work? Do I just add the "C" of all the batteries I'm charging?

For instance, can I charge a 3S 2500, a 3S 2200, and a 3S 3000 all at the same time in parallel? That would mean 2.5+ 2.2+ 3.0= 7.7. I understand each battery has to have the same cell count.