HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:35 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Oct 2010
118 Posts
Question
Difference between 4 ch coaxial vs 4 channel fix pitch

My first rc helicopter purchase was an esky Belt CP V2. After attempting to hover and having all sorts of trouble, I invested in a Honey Bee FP V2.

Im doing pretty well with the honey bee v2, but im wondering if I missed anything by skipping the 4-ch coaxials.

Are the 4-ch coaxials a challenge to fly? Are they more fun? What am I missing, if anything, by skipping them?

Thanks for the input.... i think i skipped them because I thought they might be too easy to fly.
naeseth is offline Find More Posts by naeseth
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:20 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naeseth View Post
. . .

Thanks for the input.... i think i skipped them because I thought they might be too easy to fly.
You think correctly.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:04 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
The one thing that co-axials can teach is orientation training on how the which direction the heli will move while in different orientations. Nose in seems to give the most trouble and learning on a co-axial is good practice, especially when you can't fly outside (wind, rain, snow... etc.).

They are super stable so it does not really give you hover training.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Nov 03, 2010, 03:04 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
If you're doing well with HBFP, you can fly most anything. It is NOT an easy aircraft, just rugged, easy and cheap to fix. Get your Belt CP out, patch it up, fly it.

Note that the stock Belt transmitter is VERY abrupt and almost completely inflexible. I wouldn't attempt a CP without a programmable. I'd suggest retrofitting the radioset, set the mix rates around 85, expo 5~8, that will make it a lot more manageable.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:22 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Naeseth,

I agree with the others 100%, lots of options to consider. They are fun to fly, they do and can be used for orientation practice. However, they don't handle the wind to well at all. Other options to think about would be a good programable radio system or a good flight simualtor.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:08 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Oct 2010
118 Posts
First off, thanks for all the input.. I think I will just stick with my FP/CP choppers, but I definitely need to invest in a good radio... any suggestions or links?

I seem to hear the dx6i or something like that mentioned a lot.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:35 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
The DX6i is definitely the minimum I would suggest. If you can afford a bit more I'd personally suggest the DX7 over the DX6i but that's a cost consideration as well. With the DX8 and other new radios out you can usually find either for pretty cheap used in very good condition.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:55 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Oct 2010
118 Posts
Got it. Will be looking out for a dx7.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:01 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
The Spektrum DX series is probably the most popular currently on the market today, for reliability and cost. As Druss mentioned, the DX6i is the minimum required. Here's an example of each. You may find one less expensive in the "Classified" ads here at RCG. Or on E-bay. Just google, "DX6i" and/or "DX7"

Dave

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...FQod5wodUEefOw

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SPMR7700
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule