HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:06 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Discussion
Blanik Indoor Micro Glider-Kits

Inspired by this thread, I've been bitten by the Micro Aerotowing craze.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329802

A Parkzone T-28 or Champ provides the muscle to tow this up either indoors or out. While on tow, the Blanik requires no input from the pilot and happily follows the tow plane around until release. The release is accomplished by simply turning away from the side the tow line is attached to, or throttling back the tow plane.

It has a nice flat glide with its sorta Kline-Fogleman style airfoil and is very easy to fly.

The Blanik has tuned into a wonderfully fun little project and I have decided to make kits available. Here is what you get:

2 channel rudder, elevator control for ParkZone brick
38" w.s.
40 gm. AUW (approx)
>2 oz. sq./ft. wing loading

• Laser cut 3mm Depron airframe
  • Laser cut 1/64 ply control horns and pushrod guides
  • Laser cut 3mm Depron building jigs
  • Laser cut 3mm Depron Sharpie/paint masks
  • .125 carbon tube tow hook
  • .032 music wire for pushrod ends
  • Instructions

Kit price is $25 + $10 shipping Priority Mail ConUS. You can fit 2 kits in one box for the same shipping.. Please shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers
Red
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Nov 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:23 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,229 Posts
Pm sent. Awsome little Blanik. My dad had his first glider ride in one.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:50 AM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
I should have mine soon. I will post pics and a flight report.
wgeffon is offline Find More Posts by wgeffon
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:28 PM
Parkzone connectors here!!
Joined Oct 2008
321 Posts
boy i really hate to see the extra weight of that extra servo on a 2ch plane. you should use a vapor board (wich is lighter than the 6400) or you should use the mixing on your radio to mix your AIL to RUD. save you 1.5 grams plus the glue to mount it. looks awsome though! also you should move your brick all the way forward with your battery on the opposite side of the plane. this may take away the need for the nose weight giving you a lighter wing loading! you will be getting a PM!
olmstead25 is offline Find More Posts by olmstead25
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:06 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmstead25 View Post
boy i really hate to see the extra weight of that extra servo on a 2ch plane. you should use a vapor board (wich is lighter than the 6400) or you should use the mixing on your radio to mix your AIL to RUD. save you 1.5 grams plus the glue to mount it. looks awsome though! also you should move your brick all the way forward with your battery on the opposite side of the plane. this may take away the need for the nose weight giving you a lighter wing loading! you will be getting a PM!
I weighed mine today and it weighs 40.3 gm, which is right in line with what the Finns are as well. With a Vapor brick and the lightened fuse, 35-38 gm should be the norm. The glider is designed for the Vapor brick, I just used what I had available. I also wanted to make sure it could be flown with a stock PZ setup & transmitter if thats all person had, of course a regular transmitter is a better option.

I didn't split the gear up between the sides because part of me wanted at least one side to remain "unmolested', and I didn't want to have to look at the battery wire running over the top of the fuse or through a hole in the middle. If you want one that way, it's an easy mod and I'd be happy to cut it for you.

If anyone wants a preview of the manual, drop me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send it right out.

I just got back from the post office and it looks like $10 will get it anywhere ConUS Priority Mail. You can also fit up to 3 kits in one box for the same shipping charge.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Alien_Tech; Nov 03, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:01 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Just got in from another flying session with my 10 y/o son Jack. I didn't really like the way the T-28 flew with the towline attached underneath the rear of the fuselage, so I moved it up closer to the CG on top just aft of the canopy. Wow what a difference! It doesnt get jerked around near as much and flies close to what it used to just slower. Good stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Just got in from another flying session with my 10 y/o son Jack. I didn't really like the way the T-28 flew with the towline attached underneath the rear of the fuselage, so I moved it up closer to the CG on top just aft of the canopy. Wow what a difference! It doesnt get jerked around near as much and flies close to what it used to just slower. Good stuff.
Good info.
I was going to try it there as well.
Most larger tow planes have the line attached in this spot.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:10 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeffon View Post
Good info.
I was going to try it there as well.
Most larger tow planes have the line attached in this spot.
I guess I knew that, but in the vid it looked like it was attached to the tail, and I thought maybe it worked ok because it was so small. Gotta try some mono soon, I bet its even better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:21 PM
Joined Feb 2002
977 Posts
Quote:
Gotta try some mono soon, I bet its even better.
Fishing line?

Do you want stretch in the line or not? I'm not sure. I was going to try Spiderwire fishing line. No stretch.
I have 8lb mono also..
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:30 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
38" ws! Larger than I expected, and still around 40g! What are your thoughts on making this a power-Glider? I mostly fly alone, so a tow-plane is a luxury I won't always have. The templates are a sweet addition!

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:31 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgeffon View Post
Fishing line?

Do you want stretch in the line or not? I'm not sure. I was going to try Spiderwire fishing line. No stretch.
I have 8lb mono also..
No stretch I'm pretty sure. I've seen it surge on bigger gliders, but I don't think there is enough mass here. I'm just looking for lower drag than the giant 25lb kite rope I'm using now
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:31 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faethor View Post
38" ws! Larger than I expected, and still around 40g! What are your thoughts on making this a power-Glider? I mostly fly alone, so a tow-plane is a luxury I won't always have. The templates are a sweet addition!

Jay
My buddy at work is building his with a (scale!) power pod on top. I'm sure it will work fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:35 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Quote:
My buddy at work is building his with a (scale!) power pod on top. I'm sure it will work fine.
I'd be interested in hearing more about the motor/gb/prop he's using!

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:48 PM
Pile-it
Joined Nov 2007
1,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faethor View Post
I'd be interested in hearing more about the motor/gb/prop he's using!

Jay
I'm pretty sure it's either a Vapor or Ember stock setup, I'll ask and let you know.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:58 PM
ED3
100% RC ADDICT
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
750 Posts
wow this is awsome

ed
ED3 is offline Find More Posts by ED3